Also applies to religious hierarchy

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

Also applies to religious hierarchy

Post by Hagoth » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:34 pm

"Men who look upon themselves born to reign, and others to obey, soon grow insolent; selected from the rest of mankind their minds are early poisoned by importance; and the world they act in differs so materially from the world at large, that they have but little opportunity of knowing its true interests, and when they succeed to the government are frequently the most ignorant and unfit of any throughout the dominions." From Common Sense by Thomas Paine. January 10, 1776
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

RubinHighlander

Re: Also applies to religious hierarchy

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:32 pm

Certainly plays into the pre-destination doctrine of TSCC! Reinforced via patriarchal blessings and such. The super special generation to usher in the 2nd coming, defend the constitution, blah, blah, blah. This ego leadership trip a lot of these SP and higher callings attract, these guys really drink the koolaid because there's now way it could be BS for the single fact that they believe it and would never be duped!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Mackman

Post by Mackman » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:41 am

Yes this plays right into why our leaders keep promoting the Q15 worship !!!! Jesus was humble these guys think they are preordained to step on everyone else . I see the lds leaders becoming increasingly obsessed with members worshipping them and its disturbing!!!! None of these guys are at all humble. They love being worshipped by the rank and file members. Sadly its not judt in the lds church but with other evangelicals, catholic church etc etc etc. I have read many books on religion but in the end its just someone's opinion of a belief . Do I sound frustrated and confused well yes I get that way from time to time with all the bullshit thrown at members . My biggest pet peeve is a temple recommend interview, its just one man judging anothers worthiness!!!!! And that my friends is utter Bullshit !!!!!!

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:23 am

Hagoth, that's a great quote from Brother Paine. It's funny that the LDS church quietly does acknowledge this because their is long understood cultural thread of men who feel lost after they are released from a leadership position. There is the relief of not having responsibility, but the honor and respect from being bishop or stake president or mission president is not a feeling that goes away easily.

And then, we have general authorities who are on the eternal track and will never be released. After a decade of two of profound deference paid them, it must change a man. I think some apostles handle it well. LDS culture refuses to talk openly about the men who do not handle it well.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:07 pm

Have you ever noticed that the First Presidency has nicer seats on the stand than the other apostles, and the apostles have nicer seats than the 70s?

"Woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye love the uppermost seats in the synagogues..."
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."