Spinoff necromancy

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Thoughtful

Spinoff necromancy

Post by Thoughtful » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:21 pm

Yesterday evening, I was sitting in Spouseman's truck chatting with him in my driveway. It was about 8pm, dark outside.

I saw someone (thin man in a gray hoodie) walking down the street via spouseman's sideview mirror, and shifted my gaze to watch mine to see who it was. No one passed by my mirror.

I got out of the car and looked up and down, saw no one walking.

Today, I've been seeing a cat only to turn and look and there's nothing there. I've seen spirits before but only extremely rarely since my faith transition (though can't deny what I've seen and it doesn't always mesh with lds afterlife lore). I've never seen an animal spirit before today, ever.

Two separate spirits in two days is unheard of for me. And I work in a building well known to be actively haunted and only very rarely see anything at work.

Anyway it got me to thinking-- what are your thoughts on ghosts/ spirits/ hauntings as a NOM?

Corsair

Re: Spinoff necromancy

Post by Corsair » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:13 am

I am pretty skeptical about such things. I'm not trying to convince you or anyone that they might be mistaken. But I will truly try to eliminate all other options before I go down that route. Good luck.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:48 pm

Corsair wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:13 am
I am pretty skeptical about such things. I'm not trying to convince you or anyone that they might be mistaken. But I will truly try to eliminate all other options before I go down that route. Good luck.
Thanks. I am always open to the idea I'm mistaken. I've also had some very interesting and unexplainable things happen.

Last night I dreamed about a nephew that died by suicide near this time of year, between Thanksgiving and Christmas. In my dream he was very, very happy. I'd forgotten the anniversary was coming up. Maybe there's a connection.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:55 pm

Corsair wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:13 am
The pirate stated my thoughts much better than I could...
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:35 pm

Hmmm....

Any salamanders cross your path?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:26 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:35 pm
Hmmm....

Any salamanders cross your path?
Nope, phew! Although I'd it does I might make a few bucks in real estate in 200 years?

Nothing else weird today, hopefully that's the end of it.

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:57 am

Sign at the exit of LDS Cemetary:
Please put the bones back after you've baptized them. Thanks for your cooperation!
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:46 pm

So...you see dead people.
Yep, that’s necromancy.
Now, not speaking and conversing with the dead (necromancy celibacy) may be considered ok, but once you cross the line and speak with them then you are a necromancer.
Enjoy
~2bizE

Random

Post by Random » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:47 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:21 pm
Yesterday evening, I was sitting in Spouseman's truck chatting with him in my driveway. It was about 8pm, dark outside.

I saw someone (thin man in a gray hoodie) walking down the street via spouseman's sideview mirror, and shifted my gaze to watch mine to see who it was. No one passed by my mirror.

I got out of the car and looked up and down, saw no one walking.

Today, I've been seeing a cat only to turn and look and there's nothing there. I've seen spirits before but only extremely rarely since my faith transition (though can't deny what I've seen and it doesn't always mesh with lds afterlife lore). I've never seen an animal spirit before today, ever.

Two separate spirits in two days is unheard of for me. And I work in a building well known to be actively haunted and only very rarely see anything at work.

Anyway it got me to thinking-- what are your thoughts on ghosts/ spirits/ hauntings as a NOM?
I don't really know what to make of this stuff. I do know that there are things beyond our 5 senses. I have experienced knowing a person who has died is in the room, even talked to them sometimes, had other experiences that have proven true.

You said your nephew had died around that/this time of year. If it wasn't a regular person that you somehow missed, it could conceivably have been your nephew, I think.

There is so much more to the spiritual realm than a lot of people might realize. It's easy to be skeptical unless you were raised by a mom who knew when one of her kids would call and would pick up the phone saying, "Hello [name]" (no caller ID in those days that I know of). Or when you "hear"/feel her saying something to you, and you call and, yes, she was saying that exact thing to you - and you live 300 or more miles apart. Or, every time your best friend and you get separated, you always know where she is to be found. Or you get warned not to do something/go a certain direction, do it anyway, and realize you should have listened.

And none of that proves the LDS Church is "true". It simply shows that there's a realm we cannot see with our eyes, but it's a realm that we are apparently swimming in, whether we believe it or not.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Random

Post by Random » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:51 pm

As an example of my mom and the phone: I was a teenager and we were living in a trailer. We were sitting in the living room chatting. While we were talking, my mom put her hand above the phone (and she was paying full attention to our conversation). When it rang, she picked it up, and said, "Hello [one of my sister's name]." And it was that sister calling. And that was not really weird in our family.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK