Church/BYU-Idaho stops taking student Medicaid, repeals decision after fallout

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Mormon 8

Church/BYU-Idaho stops taking student Medicaid, repeals decision after fallout

Post by Mormon 8 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:44 pm

You can't make this stuff up...

https://www.sltrib.com/news/education/2 ... no-longer/

In a nutshell, the church (BYU-Idaho) decided to stop allowing students to enroll in classes if Medicaid was their only form of health insurance. This was in response to a state expansion in Medicaid services for Idahoans. The school issued an edict mandating that if students wanted to continue in their academic pursuits at BYU-Idaho, those without private health insurance either had to purchase insurance from the church's DMBA or drop out. It was going to cost the average student about $580 per semester. Hundreds of students decided to drop out as a result and within a matter of a few weeks, the decision was repealed by the school. Anyone who can't see that the 'church' is a real estate corporation and big business first has blinders on and needs to educate themselves about the so-called 'church' they belong to.

Just This Guy

Re: Church/BYU-Idaho stops taking student Medicaid, repeals decision after fallout

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:49 am

I am curious how many student actually dropped out. Then how many re-enrolled.

If enough did, I could see that being a finical hit to the school. BYU-I says that the per semester tuition is ~2,100, plus another $600 for books. So lets say $2,700. So 100 students dropping out even for a semester is a $270,000 hit to the school. While that does add up fast, how much of an effect is it to the bottom line?
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Hagoth

Re: Church/BYU-Idaho stops taking student Medicaid, repeals decision after fallout

Post by Hagoth » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:19 am

Mormon 8 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:44 pm
Sure you can. You would call it Mormonism.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Mormon 8

Post by Mormon 8 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:56 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:19 am
Mormon 8 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:44 pm
Sure you can. You would call it Mormonism.
:lol:

Kishkumen

Post by Kishkumen » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:45 am

A 'church' that owns a school that also owns an insurance company and requires students to purchase church insurance to attend church school and won't accept government-funded health insurance - while simultaneously the parents of these students have an inherent distrust of the government.

Ironic

sunstoned

Post by sunstoned » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:21 am

And both parents and students pay the church ten percent of their income. The church has all the angles covered. Which is what you would expect from an organization that is top heavy with lawyers.

iwanttotalk

Post by iwanttotalk » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:41 pm

I read elsewhere millinials and gen z have a lot more problems than previous generations. And its very expensive for colleges

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:34 am

So didn't the Church make this decision and then reversed itself? I thought this has already been remedied via shining bad publicity on the Church over this issue.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha