New RFM episodes on Translation

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
consiglieri

New RFM episodes on Translation

Post by consiglieri » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:53 am

A new RFM episode just went up this morning. It is titled, "how do you solve a problem like translation?"

I am in a location where I cannot provide a link. I am hoping somebody else will do the honors.

This is technically part two of the podcast that went up last Sunday titled, "the amazingly subversive Terrell Givens. "

if somebody would provide the link for that episode as well, I would be in your debt.

I think these episodes address an important issue of contemporary significance in Mormon studies.

Thanks!

Merry Christmas to all!

RFM

Arcturus

Re: New RFM episodes on Translation

Post by Arcturus » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:48 pm

Great work RFM. I thought your recent episode is one of your best. Would love to see an apologist try to challenge your logic.

Joseph’s “translation” work is indistinguishable from a fraud. So true... I had a long convo with my TBM mother in law about this just the other day. I finished the friendly debate with the following:

the Mormon church requires you to give your time, talents, and all that you possess, even your own life if necessary... and yet this church has hidden church history, it’s foundation is indistinguishable from fraud, and it refuses to be financially transparent. Take your Mormon hat off and scan the world for organizations with similar characteristics. What/who are they?

She literally had nothing to say
“How valuable is a faith that is dependent on the maintenance of ignorance? If faith can only thrive in the absence of the knowledge of its origins, history, and competing theological concepts, then what is it we really have to hold on to?”
D Brisbin

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:13 pm

Episode 104: The Amazingly Subversive Terryl Givens
https://radiofreemormon.org/2019/12/rad ... yl-givens/

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:56 pm

Loved it. I'm a donor. You deserve more.

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:10 pm

This episode must be extra good if it is behind a paywall. Perhaps there is prophetic insight into the Idaho Grand Lotto
or Powerball numbers.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:32 am

The campaign to redefine "translation" is moving forward. This is a distressing article from LDS Living from July 2019

Church Video: President Nelson Gives Powerful, Deep Translation of "Repentance"

Emphasis added to point out this tortured use of "translation". I am distressed that this end run around the common meaning of "translation" has a solid chance to work among the believers in our lives.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:48 am

moksha wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:10 pm
This episode must be extra good if it is behind a paywall. Perhaps there is prophetic insight into the Idaho Grand Lotto
or Powerball numbers.

My podcast app had no trouble getting it.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:00 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:48 am
My podcast app had no trouble getting it.
This comes up for me: For as little as $3.00 a month or $25 a year you can access this episode and many other premium episodes months before they are released to the general public.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

consiglieri

Post by consiglieri » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:25 am

There was a glitch in the system. Bill Reel just fixed it. It should be good to go now. Sorry for the inconvenience!

felixfabulous

Post by felixfabulous » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:27 am

This is a really great episode and articulated an idea that has been in my mind for a while, which is a tendency from JS on to attribute the thoughts of leadership to God and call it revelation. RFM did a great job of making this case. An interesting follow-up would be to show how this continued throughout the rest of church history and continues today. Eyring gave us a peak behind the curtain a few years ago when he talked about slapping the revelation label on decisions by the Q15 when everyone gets on board. Even RMN has said that thoughts that come to his mind in the night are revelations.