Mormonism's Money is in the hotseat

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Arcturus

Mormonism's Money is in the hotseat

Post by Arcturus » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:10 am

Wow. This took some serious guts on the part of the former portfolio manager of Ensign Peak. Wonder if this issue will actually get regulatory attention. If so, this could be similar to the fallout from Joseph's Kirkland bank failure.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investig ... story.html
“How valuable is a faith that is dependent on the maintenance of ignorance? If faith can only thrive in the absence of the knowledge of its origins, history, and competing theological concepts, then what is it we really have to hold on to?”
D Brisbin

Arcturus

Re: Mormonism's Money is in the hotseat

Post by Arcturus » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:45 am

If the whistleblower report is valid and the church indeed has broken the law in terms of skirting taxes, it's gonna be interesting to see how they crawl out of this hole. The church's ability to get out of this will really reveal how powerful they are behind the scenes. The church is likely very very politically connected, so I wonder whether the report will really impact Ensign Peak.

Do you think Kirton McConkie will represent the church through this? Or will the church hire some bigger guns?
“How valuable is a faith that is dependent on the maintenance of ignorance? If faith can only thrive in the absence of the knowledge of its origins, history, and competing theological concepts, then what is it we really have to hold on to?”
D Brisbin

Arcturus

Post by Arcturus » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:12 am

https://www.deseret.com/opinion/2019/12 ... k-goodness

This defense is kinda hilarious. Okay, let's allow the church their argument that this $100b is a rainy day fund for when s*** hits the fan in an apocalyptic fashion. Is that decent logic? What good will $100b in currency be in the instance of an apocalypse? Not to mention if this is tied up in the stock market. Unless the church gets advanced warning from Jesus that he's on his way, that value will be destroyed when the markets take the hit before all starts to unwind...
D Brisbin

w2mz

Post by w2mz » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:01 pm

www.comeuntochri$$$t.org
The church has engineered your eternal family into a commodity that can be purchased with an annual fee. The fact that full tithing payment is a requirement for saving ordinances is the biggest red flag imaginable. Hagoth

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:13 pm

Put on the sorting hat of deviousness, the hat advises that the best way to avoid fines and sanctions is to do a quid pro quo with Donald Trump who can issue a full pardon and can order the IRS to stand down. There are plenty of favors Trump could receive from the Church to fulfill the quo.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:35 pm

moksha wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:13 pm
Put on the sorting hat of deviousness, the hat advises that the best way to avoid fines and sanctions is to do a quid pro quo with Donald Trump who can issue a full pardon and can order the IRS to stand down. There are plenty of favors Trump could receive from the Church to fulfill the quo.
Considering what Mitt Romney has done to Trump lately I have the feeling there could be some allowing of the IRS to have their way with the Mormon lady.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

JustHangingOn@57

Post by JustHangingOn@57 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:34 pm

Just watched KSL gaslight the whistleblower. The jist of the news story is that he is just a disgruntled ex-mo out to make a quick buck. "Yea. Thought so" (says reassured full tithe paying TBM DW).

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:00 am

t is hard to find a precedent for this situation because there are no other churches which are also mega-billion dollar corporations. The question is whether the Church has evolved into more of a corporate entity hiding behind the original Church facade, or is it mostly a Church with a mega-billion dollar financial empire attached?

Will General Authorities still continue to make their widow's mite pleas of asking for tithing donations from the destitute now that the golden cat is out of the platinum bag?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

BlackMormon

Post by BlackMormon » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:23 am

The church sits on over $100 Billion non taxable dollars?

That's worth just ONE Jeff Bezos.

They invested tithing money to make money?

Okay.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:47 am

Suppose that Nelson converted his $100 billion into U.S. dollar coins. If he stacked them neatly he could have a pile that is 403 feet wide and 30 feet deep. This is Scrooge McDuck territory for diving into a giant pool of money. (Hilarious calculations available upon request)

In the First Presidency Statement on Church Finances (December 17, 2019) we get the statement:
President Newsroom wrote:All Church funds exist for no other reason than to support the Church’s divinely appointed mission.
As a private organization, they are welcome to hold this position. However, they have immediately made it quite clear that the divinely appointed mission of the LDS church appears to be relying on the arm of flesh to support operating as they have become accustomed. I suspect that most of us heard the line from our seminary teachers that "The Lord does not need our money" which appears to be completely true since It would be challenge to attempt to spend this much cash. I had a particularly fervent Sunday School teacher say that if the LDS church really needed money then God would just tell the prophet where to find an undiscovered gold mine or oil well.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:17 am

Palerider wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:35 pm
Considering what Mitt Romney has done to Trump lately I have the feeling there could be some allowing of the IRS to have their way with the Mormon lady.
Or Romney will have to commit to voting against of removal from office and a career of Hatch-style butt-kissing in trade for a pardon for the church.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:57 pm

Wish all my rainy day money was tax free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:57 pm

Wish all my rainy day money was tax free.

“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:02 pm

If the church is a corporation sole as i understand, does this not make RMN guy at the top the richest dude on earth?

― Thomas A. Edison

Mormon 8

Post by Mormon 8 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:54 pm

For those who might be wondering why TSCC is hoarding so many widow mites and what it might possibly be stockpiling over $100 billion for...

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017 ... in-florida
Everything about the Deseret cattle and citrus ranch, in central Florida, is massive. The property itself occupies 290,000 acres of land – more than nine times the size of San Francisco and almost 20 times the size of Manhattan. It is one of the largest ranches in the country, held by the one of the biggest landowners in the state: the Mormon church.

On an overcast weekday afternoon, Mormon missionaries give tours of the vast estate. Fields, orange trees and grazing animals stretch as far as the eye can see. While central Florida may be best known for Disney World, the ranch – roughly an hour’s drive away – is nearly 10 times bigger. It is home to a jaw-dropping 40,000 cows and has grown oranges for millions of glasses of juice.

Now there are ambitious, far-reaching plans to transform much of this land into an entirely new “city”, home to as many as 500,000 people by 2080. Deseret has said that while nothing will be built here for decades, its plans are necessary because urban growth in the area is inevitable and the alternative is “piecemeal development”. A slide from a 2014 presentation explains: “We think in terms of generations.”

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:11 pm

Arcturus wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:45 am
If the whistleblower report is valid and the church indeed has broken the law in terms of skirting taxes, it's gonna be interesting to see how they crawl out of this hole. The church's ability to get out of this will really reveal how powerful they are behind the scenes. The church is likely very very politically connected, so I wonder whether the report will really impact Ensign Peak.

Do you think Kirton McConkie will represent the church through this? Or will the church hire some bigger guns?
They will hire a big attorney firm in DC that specializes in this and have KM manage what is needed locally.
~2bizE

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:40 am

-- Moksha

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:03 pm

Been thinking about this. It reAlly should bother me the church sitting on all this money. But part of me is rather impressed they are able to save this kind of money and not blow it. It is one impressive rainy day fund.

I would think the leaders believe they are being good stewards. Parable of the talents and all. I think the world in general puts so much value on wealth. The leaders just do it better than most.

I guess if anything bothers me it is the fact it is all tax exempt. Why someone like me who has always worked for wages has had to pay so much in taxes.

Powerful organizations will always do what they want. The rest of us do what we are told.

― Thomas A. Edison

Random

Post by Random » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:34 pm

1smartdodog wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:02 pm
If the church is a corporation sole as i understand, does this not make RMN guy at the top the richest dude on earth?

I'm sure it does.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

EternityIsNow

Post by EternityIsNow » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:54 pm

Random wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:34 pm
1smartdodog wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:02 pm

I'm sure it does.
Only if you combine all the church's assets, but by a wide margin. Probably will also become the first Trillionaire.

Time Magazine should do a story on that angle, the actual richest person is the heir to the Joseph Smith treasure digging. Turns out Joseph found buried treasure after all... but if he tries to spend all that, or transfer the wealth, now that would be interesting to see...