Mormon Martians

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
RubinHighlander

Mormon Martians

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:36 pm

Assuming humans evolve out of most of their tribalism and don't kill the planet...
Let's look a couple hundred years into the future; do you think TSCC will put a temple on Mars?

So what actually sparked this thought was the series on Prime called The Expanse. I never read the books it was based on, but have made it through a couple of seasons. It can get a little tedious at times for me, some of the speeches and dialog, but it's not terrible. Mormons are mentioned a few times in the series, including a huge ship the TSCC commissioned to be built to go and colonize a new planet (not named Kolob as far as I know). Anywho, here's a write up from Times and Season.org if you are interested:
https://www.timesandseasons.org/harchiv ... index.html

Will those mormon martians still think their generation will see Jesus?

Here's one prediction I'd put some money one if TSCC is still around: it will own some significant prime real estate on Mars https://www.google.com/mars/
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

græy

Re: Mormon Martians

Post by græy » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:25 pm

I have not read the timesandseasons.org page yet, but I want to.

The book series this TV show is based on has been one of the few bright spots of the past few years for me. That is, they are the only books I have read outside of actual mormon history and theology since my faith transition started nearly four years ago. The show doesn't quite live up to the intricacies of the story-line from the books, but its still good fun.

If the choice comes down to reading any book of mormon scripture or The Expanse. You should definitely read The Expanse. That may not actually be saying much, but I really did enjoy them. :)
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:39 pm

The Expanse season 4 is now on Amazon Prime.

BTW, the $100,000,000,000 building fund for the Space Ark Nauvoo is currently in the news.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:12 am

They've already done it just to create the illusion of growth, even though there are no colonists yet. Just to make sure no one had any doubts about who was behind it they built the entire temple in the likeness of Joseph Smith:
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:05 am

RubinHighlander wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:36 pm
Will those mormon martians still think their generation will see Jesus?
I'm interested in this question from a more historical standpoint. Would Mormons 100 years ago be surprised that in 2019 we are still not enjoying the Millennium with Jesus in charge? "The Expanse" does not really address the eschatological concerns of future Mormons directly.

In the October 1916 conference James E. Talmage addressed the date of the Second Coming unintentionally. This is recorded in the Old Testament Student Manual Kings-Malachi:
LDS Old Testament Student Manual wrote:Then in October conference Elder Talmage spoke again of the lost tribes and made this remarkable prediction: “The ten tribes shall come; they are not lost unto the Lord; they shall be brought forth as hath been predicted; and I say unto you there are those now living—aye, some here present—who shall live to read the records of the Lost Tribes of Israel, which shall be made one with the record of the Jews, or the Holy Bible, and the record of the Nephites, or the Book of Mormon, even as the Lord hath predicted” (in Conference Report, Oct. 1916, p. 76; emphasis added).
I ran across this passage about 10 years ago and pointed it out to my apologist brother-in-law. He was very excited thinking that the Second Coming was real soon now because only Gordon Hinckley and Eldred G. Smith remained from people who would have attended that conference.

The 100 year anniversary came and went in October 1916 with Hinckley and Smith absent from mortality. I again asked my brother-in-law about this passage. He was pretty sure that Talmage was speaking as a man.

But surely Monson was speaking as a prophet telling us to "hasten the work" and Nelson is absolutely speaking as a prophet when telling us to "gather Israel". My great-grand-children in 2119 can determine if Monson and Nelson were speaking as men just like Talmage.