Scripture study

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Angel

Scripture study

Post by Angel » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:49 am

Tis the season, I'm going to read scriptures, nt, bom, and Taoteching ..

1 nephi 1:20 And when the Jews heard these things they were angry with him; yea, even as with the prophets of old, whom they had cast out, and stoned, and slain; and they also sought his life, that they might take it away. But behold, I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance.

Question (any believers on here?) Does God
a) allow prophets to be stoned and slain
b) deliver those He has chosen

Seems confusing - in just one verse, the first half talks about prophets being cast out, slain, stoned - but then second part there is expectation of being delivered???

You will have to excuse me, the first time I am reading scriptures after faith crisis...
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

RubinHighlander

Re: Scripture study

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:08 pm

Sounds like an interesting exercise and you are already seeing all the illogical double talk that fills those pages. With our TBM hat it was easily filtered out to something inspiring and miraculous, but now you'll likely see right through the hazy spin. It's that crazy old bipolar psychopathic god that man created that says some people are special and others are not; the narrative repeats over and over again. Or, even if they are faithful, they might just be used and abused anyway, just to prove a point or serve some sick purpose. I can never get over that part in the BOM where Alma and Amulek watch it happen.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... ang=eng#p6

Really?! Some wise purpose my a$$!

Anyway, good luck with your studies!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

iwanttotalk

Post by iwanttotalk » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:51 am

RubinHighlander wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:08 pm
Sounds like an interesting exercise and you are already seeing all the illogical double talk that fills those pages. With our TBM hat it was easily filtered out to something inspiring and miraculous, but now you'll likely see right through the hazy spin. It's that crazy old bipolar psychopathic god that man created that says some people are special and others are not; the narrative repeats over and over again. Or, even if they are faithful, they might just be used and abused anyway, just to prove a point or serve some sick purpose. I can never get over that part in the BOM where Alma and Amulek watch it happen.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... ang=eng#p6

Really?! Some wise purpose my a$$!

Anyway, good luck with your studies!
This was the doctrine i was thinking of. The slaughter of the innocents is a vestigial holdover from ancient times. The slaughter of children to kill moses or Jesus.

There are definitly contradictory doctrines at cross purposes. On one hand god allows the slaughter of innocents to condemn the wicked or to create supernatural good. On the other he portends that faithfullness will create peace prosperity and deliverence. The latter is a basic tennent of the old testament and book of mormon.

Ive always understood them as two distinct concepts. That to manifest miracles an equivelent amount of evil must be allowed. Or in other words for every christ there is an anti christ.

But yeah religion on the whole is confounding in is opacity. It is not “plain and simple”.

[bold]
If you look at it from a logicians point of view: religion relies on the fallacious cognition for persitance. Layered fallacies produce for the average human the appearance of irrefutable logic. It is circular in its nature and always effete in its indisputablity. No matter the application of true logic it has an alternative answer comprised of errant thinking which is calculated to render the average person obsequious to its conivances.
[/bold]

Angel

Post by Angel » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:55 pm

1 Nephi 2: Wow, patriarchal heirarchy... God talks to Lehi, and everyone else is supposed to follow Lehi without question.

Lehi is not the one with the greatest faith here, it is Sarah and family who are just supposed to go along with the old guy....

Don't question, don't complain, everyone in Jerusalem is evil, half of family is evil, no teaching, no love, no sorrow for anyone deemed evil

No perspective or explanation ... some are labeled as evil without explaining what horrible thing they did, women are ignored??

Also reading NT.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson