Give up your silly millenia-long cultural traditions and give the money to us instead

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

Give up your silly millenia-long cultural traditions and give the money to us instead

Post by Hagoth » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:18 pm

https://www.deseret.com/2018/4/16/20643 ... il-16-2018

Because "we are not a wealthy people."
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Palerider

Re: Give up your silly millenia-long cultural traditions and give the money to us instead

Post by Palerider » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:21 pm

"a group of 29 Ugandans who left Jinja by bus at 2 p.m. Sunday and arrived in Nairobi at 6 a.m.
They spent the day on a nearby lawn watching and photographing warthogs and baboons and waiting in line to secure seats closest to the podium."

They would have done better to stick with the warthogs and baboons...... :|
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

1smartdodog

Re: Give up your silly millenia-long cultural traditions and give the money to us instead

Post by 1smartdodog » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:00 pm

Paying tithing breaks the cycle of poverty? I would like to see some imperial evidence to that fact. I know some poor tithe payers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Random

Post by Random » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:35 pm

1smartdodog wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:00 pm
Paying tithing breaks the cycle of poverty? I would like to see some imperial evidence to that fact. I know some poor tithe payers.
It made me more poor. On the other hand, when I give directly to someone in need (say, a beggar on the street), I get blessed with the finances I need. Who'da thunk that giving directly to the needy yields blessings while giving to a multi-billion-dollar corporation yields only more poverty.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:28 am

“Our moon is inhabited by people similar to us.”
You left out the critical ingredient of these moon people dressing as Quakers. Obviously they have not progressed sufficiently to enjoy the corporate side of faith, otherwise, they would be dressed in standardized business attire and have a pile of 3000 metric tons of gold, which would be visible from space to show their earnest financial transparency. Until such time, they are not similar to us. More like those guys on Phobos and Deimos dressed in Samoan lava-lavas.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:05 am

moksha wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:28 am
“Our moon is inhabited by people similar to us.”
You left out the critical ingredient of these moon people dressing as Quakers. Obviously they have not progressed sufficiently to enjoy the corporate side of faith, otherwise, they would be dressed in standardized business attire and have a pile of 3000 metric tons of gold, which would be visible from space to show their earnest financial transparency. Until such time, they are not similar to us. More like those guys on Phobos and Deimos dressed in Samoan lava-lavas.
The moon people keep wearing Quaker outfits because they don't pay tithing to the authorized Ensign Peak Advisers fund. Clearly they lack blessings because of that egregious oversight. If they would only keep the blessed principle of tithing they would advance up to tailored Brooks Brothers suits like any blessed and civilized person would wear.