December handbook update on garments

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Sheamus Moore

December handbook update on garments

Post by Sheamus Moore » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:22 pm

My apologies if this is old news or not newsworthy at all. We know of the recent changes to TR questions regarding garments. On another forum someone said there was a December 2019 update to the handbook which states that it is up to personal preference whether other undergarments are worn under the garment. Anyone confirm this? This would seem to officially end any debate over layering rules. (Or will this like tithing and gross vs net blessings?)

blazerb

Re: December handbook update on garments

Post by blazerb » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:35 pm

Or it might be like the prohibition on vasectomies without bishop's approval: a policy that no one knows about and thus has little impact on how people live. There will still be fights over the "proper" way to wear garments. I hope you're right that people start loosening up, but I am sure the handbook still directs people not to let their garments touch the floor.

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:13 am

blazerb wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:35 pm
Or it might be like the prohibition on vasectomies without bishop's approval: a policy that no one knows about and thus has little impact on how people live.
Sounds wise to keep a lid on crazily intrusive policies. It would scare off the "normals".
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:11 pm

Sheamus Moore wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:22 pm
My apologies if this is old news or not newsworthy at all. We know of the recent changes to TR questions regarding garments. On another forum someone said there was a December 2019 update to the handbook which states that it is up to personal preference whether other undergarments are worn under the garment. Anyone confirm this? This would seem to officially end any debate over layering rules. (Or will this like tithing and gross vs net blessings?)
I don't think this is new. Probably 3-5 years ago they started saying this?