Shifting towards gay acceptance?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
glass shelf

Re: Shifting towards gay acceptance?

Post by glass shelf » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:13 pm

Reuben wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:42 pm
You might need to start taking orders, dude.
Am I the only one who sings "Hey, Dude" in their mind every time someone says the word "dude" now? (From the movie Yesterday which I really enjoyed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbO-FdSP-RM I have the soundtrack, and there's a full-length version of "Hey, Dude" on there.)
Reuben wrote:
I want it to disappear, too. Ideally, for the family I have with their minds and hearts entangled with it, it would "disappear" by being replaced with something better.
I think most people find things to replace it with, right? Some are definitely healthier than others.

In my case, it was being obsessive about post-bacc work then being obsessive about my Master's and now working 2 jobs because that's how I roll. I honestly still have more time for myself than I did when I was trying to be a perfect SAH Mormon mom.

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:58 pm

glass shelf wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:13 pm
Reuben wrote:
You might need to start taking orders, dude.
Am I the only one who sings "Hey, Dude" in their mind every time someone says the word "dude" now? (From the movie Yesterday which I really enjoyed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbO-FdSP-RM I have the soundtrack, and there's a full-length version of "Hey, Dude" on there.)
That is 200% terrible and I love it.

Sorry about possibly misgendering. My kids have got me convinced that "dude" is now gender-neutral, and it's what I call my 14-year-old daughter...
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Brent

Post by Brent » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:21 pm

It has become a term of endearment!

Emower

Post by Emower » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:27 pm

My 4 year old responds to anything she doesn't like with "c'mon dude!" It's the cutest thing in the world.

no1saint

Post by no1saint » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:27 am

As much progress is being made in the western world, the Church will face significant issues in Africa, Asia and South America if it liberalises too much and too quickly. We can see the influence of the African Church in the Anglican Family that could ultimately split that union over female ordination and same sex unions.

The Church is dying slowly in the West, African and arguably Filipino social and cultural preferences could (and arguably already has) instigate institutional change faster than LGBTQI and women’s rights.

Random

Post by Random » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:52 pm

glass shelf wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:10 pm
I still remember the day that my then-8yo son came home and told me all about MLK Jr. and asked me if I could believe that people used to mean to black people. He honestly had no idea in his little world that was ever considered normal.
I remember how shocked I was to find out (probably in my teens or twenties - in the 1970s) to find out that it was during my lifetime that there were segregated drinking fountains, restaurants, etc. I honestly thought they had gone out with the Civil War. I could not, and still cannot, comprehend racial prejudice. People are people. (Even though I was ignorant enough to believe the "sitting on the fence" doctrine until I learned better.)
Last edited by Random on Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Random

Post by Random » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:55 pm

Reuben wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:58 pm
Sorry about possibly misgendering. My kids have got me convinced that "dude" is now gender-neutral, and it's what I call my 14-year-old daughter...
"Dude" and "guy/s" have been gender neutral for me for a long time.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

PK

Random

Post by Random » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:57 pm

Brent wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:41 pm
In my lifetime:

1978 Priesthood ban lifted. No schism. (Schism defined as the formal separation of a Church into two Churches or the secession of a group owing to doctrinal and other differences)
Actually, there were. I don't recall the names, but there were some people who left and started their own Churches. They were small in comparison to the LDS Church, and they may or may not still exist today, but they did happen.
Now, "formally" - with that caveat, you are probably 100% correct.

PK

Brent

Post by Brent » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:46 pm

Denver Snuffer is leading a schism right now, the reason I consider it a schism is they have their own version of the standard works (canon). https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/loc ... 25577.html

They have enough serious organization, "conferences", unique and revised doctrine that they are a schism. The Church even is "worried about people being drawn away" that this "Remnant" movement is on the radar. https://kutv.com/news/local/lds-church- ... rmon-leaks

Snuffer believes the Church has been corrupted and that is firmer ground than "they have made being gay OK". His concept of an apostate church could benefit from "further apostasy".

Random

Post by Random » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:45 pm

I suppose you could call it a schism. I don't view it that way because I think of a schism as someone breaking off because of a major disagreement with the Church they once believed in. I see Snuffer as a man doing what he thought God wanted him to do and the Church kicked him out for it, not him leaving (in fact, last I heard, he and his wife still attend LDS Church meetings). I have to confess, though, that I would be considered a "snufferite" by some people. Also, I don't know the dictionary definition of "schism".

PK

Brent

Post by Brent » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:41 pm

A true schism may not be possible because all Church assets are under the control of 1 person so any large group leaving could be penniless...

Random

Post by Random » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:20 pm

Brent wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:41 pm
A true schism may not be possible because all Church assets are under the control of 1 person so any large group leaving could be penniless...
Exactly!

PK