One hour church

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Mormon 8

One hour church

Post by Mormon 8 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:53 pm

I'm hearing several reports about the 'church' piloting and experimenting with one hour church in select stakes in both Arizona and Utah - can anyone corroborate this? The scuttlebutt is a 25 minute sacrament meeting, 5 minute break and then 30 minutes alternating between SS and priesthood/RS every other week.

Reuben

Re: One hour church

Post by Reuben » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:50 pm

I've been personally piloting zero-hour church for a couple of years now. The breakdown is 0 minutes SM, 0 minutes break, and then 0 minutes SS/PM (alternating weeks). It goes by really fast.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Angel

Post by Angel » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:56 pm

My new year's resolution involves 45 minutes of church, 4 times a week. It involves putting on tennis shoes, popping in ear-buds, and strapping my two ministering pooches round my waist, then getting my heart up to around 130BPM ...

I go to church where Jesus went, outside in the hills.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:18 pm

They're trying to figure out the least amount of product they must produce while maximizing the amount of free money coming in.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

1smartdodog

One hour church

Post by 1smartdodog » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:44 am

Sounds like a rumor with no reality to me. Impossible to do a sacrament meeting in 25 min. Just announcements and the sacrament. Even I think that is lame and why would i go to church.

Somewhere along the line they need to think of policies and programs that will inspire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:54 pm

1smartdodog wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:44 am
Sounds like a rumor with no reality to me. Impossible to do a sacrament meeting in 25 min. Just announcements and the sacrament. Even I think that is lame and why would i go to church.

Somewhere along the line they need to think of policies and programs that will inspire.

I agree. At some point, it's so short that it's not worth the effort to even go. Maybe not so much in UT, but I lived plenty of places where members had to drive 30-45 minutes to get to church.

Also, that's even more downtime on Sunday when Mormons have so few "allowable" activities.

no1saint

Post by no1saint » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:19 am

1smartdodog wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:44 am

It would be like lunchtime mass. Quick and efficient. Sacrament can be done in 10 minutes. Greetings and announcements 5 minutes. 10 minutes for one hymn and a homily/message from someone in the bishopric.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:27 am

no1saint wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:19 am
ld be like lunchtime mass. Quick and efficient. Sacrament can be done in 10 minutes. Greetings and announcements 5 minutes. 10 minutes for one hymn and a homily/message from someone in the bishopric.
If this were true, sacrament would become the focus and the object of publicly demonstrating your worthiness and orthodoxy, similar to what the temple has become. Perhaps worthiness-shaming implications would be stepped up and sacrament partaking would become more of a public demonstration that you are OneOfUs. Less emphasis on message, more on ritual and conformity. Missing even one sacrament meeting would be a confession-worthy sin. To make it faster they could combine the two prayers and eliminate any mention of Jesus Christ. Maybe you would partake in the name of Obedience, the first Law of Heaven.

A patent search reveals that a shell corporation in SLC has recently filed patents for a rapid-fire bread pellet gun that sprays water on the projectile as it leaves the chamber. The attached drawings include an illustration of a 12-year old male in a white shirt strafing a congregation who are wearing mouth-opening clamps (patent pending), a la Alex DeLarge's eye clips in A Clockwork Orange. The sacrament would be a horrific ordeal but could be accomplished in seconds with a well trained crack squad of Partakinators. And everyone would come away gushing about how strongly they felt the spirit.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:12 am

As someone in Arizona, it sounds great, but I doubt it. No rumors of One Hour Church have circulated around my ward. Granted, I am not in a bishopric, so perhaps such a delightful idea has not yet reached me.

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:34 am

Corsair wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:12 am
As someone in Arizona, it sounds great, but I doubt it. No rumors of One Hour Church have circulated around my ward. Granted, I am not in a bishopric, so perhaps such a delightful idea has not yet reached me.
Also in AZ and hearing nothing about this. I think if a ward were indeed piloting this, there is no way that the information would be kept quiet for long.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:35 am

Yes, yes, the rumors are true! My ward is piloting 1 hour church and it is magnificent and glorious! Whoever received the revelation to pilot this is a true messenger from God!

This same pilot program is also testing sacrament wine, no garments, and 1% tithing.

#TenderPilotMercy!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:01 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:35 am
Yes, yes, the rumors are true! My ward is piloting 1 hour church and it is magnificent and glorious! Whoever received the revelation to pilot this is a true messenger from God!

This same pilot program is also testing sacrament wine, no garments, and 1% tithing.

#TenderPilotMercy!
I'm in, please help me find a home to buy somewhere in your ward boundaries.

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:24 pm

Reuben wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:50 pm
I've been personally piloting zero-hour church for a couple of years now. The breakdown is 0 minutes SM, 0 minutes break, and then 0 minutes SS/PM (alternating weeks). It goes by really fast.
:lol:

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:26 pm

Plenty of non-lds churches have 1 hour services in Sundays. Seems to have worked for them for years...
~2bizE

no1saint

Post by no1saint » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:02 am

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:27 am
no1saint wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:19 am
ld be like lunchtime mass. Quick and efficient. Sacrament can be done in 10 minutes. Greetings and announcements 5 minutes. 10 minutes for one hymn and a homily/message from someone in the bishopric.
If this were true, sacrament would become the focus and the object of publicly demonstrating your worthiness and orthodoxy, similar to what the temple has become. Perhaps worthiness-shaming implications would be stepped up and sacrament partaking would become more of a public demonstration that you are OneOfUs. Less emphasis on message, more on ritual and conformity. Missing even one sacrament meeting would be a confession-worthy sin. To make it faster they could combine the two prayers and eliminate any mention of Jesus Christ. Maybe you would partake in the name of Obedience, the first Law of Heaven.

A patent search reveals that a shell corporation in SLC has recently filed patents for a rapid-fire bread pellet gun that sprays water on the projectile as it leaves the chamber. The attached drawings include an illustration of a 12-year old male in a white shirt strafing a congregation who are wearing mouth-opening clamps (patent pending), a la Alex DeLarge's eye clips in A Clockwork Orange. The sacrament would be a horrific ordeal but could be accomplished in seconds with a well trained crack squad of Partakinators. And everyone would come away gushing about how strongly they felt the spirit.
Love it. The war on Satan has become literal.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:49 am

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:27 am
... a well trained crack squad of Partakinators. And everyone would come away gushing about how strongly they felt the spirit.
Brilliant ideas need repeating.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

no1saint

Post by no1saint » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:47 am

It makes sense. Consolidated wards in one building and freeing up others to be adapted into temples. There is a rumour that RMN wants to put a 0 on the end of the current temple tally. That could be easily done by converting a stake centre into a temple.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:07 pm

no1saint wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:47 am
It makes sense. Consolidated wards in one building and freeing up others to be adapted into temples. There is a rumour that RMN wants to put a 0 on the end of the current temple tally. That could be easily done by converting a stake centre into a temple.
Sounds like a pointless one-upsmanship ego-boosting kind of thing. Maybe he should just wave a white hanky over a warehouse full of Corn Flakes boxes and make them all temples while he's at it. Add another 0.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:37 pm

It seems like they piloted 2 hours for a decade before it being institutionalized.

no1saint

Post by no1saint » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:57 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:07 pm
no1saint wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:47 am
Sounds like a pointless one-upsmanship ego-boosting kind of thing. Maybe he should just wave a white hanky over a warehouse full of Corn Flakes boxes and make them all temples while he's at it. Add another 0.
That literally made me giggle. RMN is an ego maniac, as every dear leader has been before him. I believe they will announce it at conference. Considering SWK ran a session from Palmyra, I wonder what RMN will do in this bicentenary year of the first lie - ( I mean first vision, I mean first lie) to one up him.