New LDS video on temple clothes and garments

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
jfro18

New LDS video on temple clothes and garments

Post by jfro18 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:56 am

Interesting to see that the church is now publicly showing the temple clothes and garments in videos. I imagine this is because most people see them being worn which makes them look even more cultish, so this is a soft way to present them to the public.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMutZrefILc

I do love how they go out of their way to say they are not magical and have no value in that way, because I was told as a new convert about to go through the temple that they provided physical protection, have stopped fires from burning the skin underneath, etc, etc.

Corsair

Re: New LDS video on temple clothes and garments

Post by Corsair » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:10 am

I suppose I will watch this later today. I anticipate that the various true believers on my Facebook feed will gladly trumpet how wonderful this is and how it's "not weird at all". This belies how these people would have never spoken publicly about temple outfits before the release of this video. This is brand new gaslight material from your believing family and friends.

Practice mindfulness, my friends. It's simply another challenge to the increasing irrelevance of LDS doctrine.

Jeffret

Re: New LDS video on temple clothes and garments

Post by Jeffret » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:33 am

I love this juxtaposition from the video:
Simple white clothing symbolizes purity [slight pause] and equality. The most senior church leader and the newest member are indistinguishable when dressed in the same way. Men and women wear similar clothing ...
Somehow I really don't think it works that -- I'll bet the most senior church leader and the newest member are still pretty distinguishable. Way back when I last attended there were still lots of clothing (etc.) differences distinguishing status.

And yeah, it's about equality. Except men and women wear different clothing and women wear a veil.
... there is no special outer religious clothing in regular Sunday worship services ...
[Camera pans over sacrament meeting with everyone dressed in the Mormon church uniform: conservative dresses, long white shirts, dull, conservative ties, even for little boys, suit coat and slacks. All clothing that isn't worn by most everyone else for religious services and all with the Mormon sensibility. They do get a little racial diversity in the shots and one black man is actually wearing a very pale blue shirt under his dark blue suit coat.]
"Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
And the truth isn't what you want to see" (Charles Hart, "The Music of the Night")