The church apologizes

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Reuben

The church apologizes

Post by Reuben » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:09 pm

moksha wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:40 pm
The Church needs to apologize for its past racial policy and let the members know in no uncertain terms that they were wrong. Maintaining a stiff-necked and unrepentant posture is no way to heal. Being too arrogant to say sorry does not mesh with the claim that they are servants of the Lord.
You've got my imagination going.

SALT LAKE CITY. President Russell M. Nelson of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints offered apologies today, the Deseret News reports.

"If anyone has felt hurt over past or present Church policy regarding race or sexual orientation, we offer sincere apologies," he said. "We might have made a small mistake or two in some matters that are of interest to a few members. Remember that apostles aren't perfect! But rest assured that the Lord is, and always has been, at the helm."

In a later press conference, Church spokesman Dust O. Peon gave additional background. "As has always been done, the Prophet took his concerns to the Lord," he said in a prepared statement. "How some members have reacted to inspired policy has weighed heavily on his mind. The Lord authorized a plan that would both nourish their souls and demonstrate the repentance process. All we need do is follow the prophet."

When asked whether the Church would be changing these policies, Elder Peon said, "We simply urge members to put their own houses in perfect order before asking others to do the same."

Reactions among the faithful have been largely positive. "It feels so good to be apologized to by the Prophet," said Gerald Washington of Lehi. "It makes me want to be a better person. I've been looking for someone to apologize to since I heard the news."

On the other hand, the denizens of the ex-Mormon subreddit, an online cesspool of bile and hatred, are not impressed. "It's a victim-blaming non-apology dressed up as a revelation," wrote HenryBNosering. "Only the leaders of TSCC [The So-Called Church] could brag about something like that."

But it seems in real life that positive sentiment will win out. Rita Potter of American Fork has already designed a T-shirt, which she proudly modeled for this reporter. "The Prophet apologized to me," it says on the front. She turned around to show off the back: "And made it all better."
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.