Heartlanders at it again

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
FiveFingerMnemonic

Heartlanders at it again

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:29 pm

Looks like the heartland theory folks now want you to donate money so they can scam..er....scan the earth in the midwest to find Zarahemla.

https://zarahemla.site/

Corsair

Re: Heartlanders at it again

Post by Corsair » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:34 pm

My inlaws might donate money to these guys non-ironically. Please do not tell the about it since I might get fervently asked to also donate. I would rather blow my money on sketchy penny stocks than donate to these guys.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:04 pm

That is both sad and amusing. They may as well be out in the middle of the ocean looking for Atlantis, probably have better luck.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:37 am

Those heartlanders are bound to find something with this high tech farm equipment.
Reminds me of that lawyer/archeologist who went to Mexico for 40 years searching for evidence of the BOM...and found nothing.
~2bizE

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:10 pm

If there is anything it is probably under asphalt now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:30 pm

They specifically point out that they are looking for signs of burning and the digging of pits or ditches. People have been living in that area for thousands of years. We can be pretty certain that building fires and digging pits and ditches were among their common activities. Since May's hypothesis starts with his belief that he knows where the (mythical) city of Zarahemla stood, we may assume that any signs of digging or burning will be interpreted as evidence of Nephites. It will make a great money-generating presentation at their next conference.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Brent

Post by Brent » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:47 pm

Isn't that good science? Decide what you're looking for and then go find it?

Random

Post by Random » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:31 pm

Brent wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:47 pm
Isn't that good science? Decide what you're looking for and then go find it?
Yes.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Brent

Post by Brent » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:38 am

Honest question: in the heartland model is the Atlantic the East sea and the Pacific the west sea? Because the distance is staggering from a walk from here to there...

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:22 am

Brent wrote:Honest question: in the heartland model is the Atlantic the East sea and the Pacific the west sea? Because the distance is staggering from a walk from here to there...
I think they use the great lakes as the "seas".

Brent

Post by Brent » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:02 am

Woof. Dang it Michigan is pretty narrow...Distances still seem to be an issue but, you get to believe what you want to believe.

Hence the Bigfoot sticker on my rig...Or should it be a Cain sticker?

alas

Post by alas » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:27 am

Well, if you go by the description of rivers, narrow neck of land, East Sea, West sea, I think it was Todd Compton did an analysis of where on earth that could be and turns out he found a really good match, with horses, steel swords, and flocks and all. It was Indonesia. And there is a group there of Jewish decent who claim to have been there over 2000 years, and their genetics match. So, perfect fit, wrong continent. He had an article in Sunstone years ago. The only problem is Moroni getting the gold plates to upstate NY. Which is actually a much smaller problem that all the others that the American continent has.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:41 am

One of my honestly favorite pages within the FairMormon site is their criticism of Rod Meldrum's Heartland theory, "A Faulty Apologetic for the Book of Mormon".

It's like watching presidential candidates debate within a political party that you have interest in voting for. These people each want your loyalty and donations and some good points may be made among the contenders. But the underlying basis for their position is irrelevant to you. I don't care who wins because they lost me a long time ago.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:31 am

The narrow neck of land is between Lake Erie and Lake Ontario. You have to wonder why they never mention Niagra Falls.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Random

Post by Random » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:07 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:31 am
You have to wonder why they never mention Niagra Falls.
Good point.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:40 pm

Corsair wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:41 am
One of my honestly favorite pages within the FairMormon site is their criticism of Rod Meldrum's Heartland theory, "A Faulty Apologetic for the Book of Mormon".

It's like watching presidential candidates debate within a political party that you have interest in voting for. These people each want your loyalty and donations and some good points may be made among the contenders. But the underlying basis for their position is irrelevant to you. I don't care who wins because they lost me a long time ago.
Question: when the pot calls the kettle black does either of them have the opportunity to return to white delighsomeness if they change sides?

I followed the link to the full paper. It's a dead link but I found the paper elsewhere. It's hilarious, especially in the topic headings like "Dismissing the Scholars," and Poisoning the Well," where they accuse Meldrum of doing exactly what they themselves appear to be doing to people outside of their worldview.