More active = greater fear of transparency

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

More active = greater fear of transparency

Post by Hagoth » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:34 pm

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2017/11/03/ ... nt-needed/
...408 of the survey’s 605 total respondents self-identified as Latter-day Saints of some stripe. The 338 “very active” Mormons were the least likely to call for more transparency from churches...
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Mormon 8

Re: More active = greater fear of transparency

Post by Mormon 8 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:35 pm

Yeah, who needs transparency in any form? We all know non-disclosure leads to honest, forthright, appropriate, righteous intent and actions. :lol:

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:17 pm

Greater transparency just means more opportunities to find out you have dedicated your life to a crappy corporation.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:51 pm

blazerb wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:17 pm
Greater transparency just means more opportunities to find out you have dedicated your life to a crappy corporation.
Yeah, but the answer you will get is, "it's God's money and you are demonstrating your faithlessness by questioning what happens with it after it leaves your bank account." It's like bragging about a good deed; it negates the heaven-points you would have earned by giving without hesitation.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:38 pm

I read most of the article and it is not surprising. Ryan McKnight seemed optimistic as 1/3 of the TBMs still want more transparency.
~2bizE

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:44 pm

2bizE wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:38 pm
I read most of the article and it is not surprising. Ryan McKnight seemed optimistic as 1/3 of the TBMs still want more transparency.
Unfortunately it has nothing to do with what anybody wants. Transparency will only happen if the church is forced to do it, which doesn't seem likely to happen in the foreseeable future. The question TBMs need to ask themselves is why is the church so intent on keeping the finances secret, but they are currently too occupied with trying to find inspirational reasons for the secret $100 Billion charity-that-provides-no-charity while the poorest among them deprive their children to put more money in the coffers.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:16 am

Perhaps being more active gives one reason to not have any misdeeds exposed. Exposure might lead to uncomfortable change.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:31 am

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:44 pm
2bizE wrote:
Unfortunately it has nothing to do with what anybody wants. Transparency will only happen if the church is forced to do it, which doesn't seem likely to happen in the foreseeable future. The question TBMs need to ask themselves is why is the church so intent on keeping the finances secret, but they are currently too occupied with trying to find inspirational reasons for the secret $100 Billion charity-that-provides-no-charity while the poorest among them deprive their children to put more money in the coffers.
I agree Hagoth. Suppose the survey showed that 100% of all people in Utah wanted more transparency with churches. The church still wouldn’t do anything to be more transparent. The church will only do what it wants.
~2bizE

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:58 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:44 pm
2bizE wrote:
One question is, who can force the church to be more transparent? Of course the government could by requiring churches to file reports like other charities are required to. Hypothetically, the members could demand more transparency. If a large fraction of the active membership withheld donations until reports were made, I think SLC would do it after ex'ing a few folks and waiting a while to make sure they could say that the change had nothing to do with the rebellion. However, the article seems to indicate that the more active the member, the less they want to know. Also, with $124 billion plus whatever the for-profit side of the church brings in, the church could probably let most active members walk and still maintain business as usual. I don't think a member revolt would succeed.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:12 pm

blazerb wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:58 pm
One question is, who can force the church to be more transparent?
Not God, apparently. He doesn't want people to know how rich he is.

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:07 am

Interesting. I have heard it said that transparency isn't about building trust, but about managing distrust. This seems to fit. The more blind trust they put in the organization, the less they care about transparency.

For the sake of the many good members I know I wish that trust was warranted.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

Random

Post by Random » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:48 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:12 pm
blazerb wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:58 pm
One question is, who can force the church to be more transparent?
Not God, apparently. He doesn't want people to know how rich he is.
I find it sad - or maybe ironic - that a God-believing Church hierarchy fear publicity more than God, and that they love their riches (money and assets) more than they love God and the poor and needy.

The Book of Mormon really damns the current leadership, but they don't have eyes to see it.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:22 pm

The reality is the very TBM people are mesmerized by Jedi Mind tricks. "You do not see $124 Billion in that slush fund. Move along."
~2bizE

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:36 am

I think the fund makes them feel more secure. The people they trust the most have the means to support the organization they trust the most. Allowing outsiders to peek behind the curtain would erode that feeling of security.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:20 am

Reuben wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:36 am
I think the fund makes them feel more secure. The people they trust the most have the means to support the organization they trust the most. Allowing outsiders to peek behind the curtain would erode that feeling of security.
I think we really only have anecdotal evidence of how the $124B fund is impacting members.

From what I've seen, the older members think it's a sign that the church knows what it's doing and is setup to fight Satan when the time comes.

For the younger members, I've seen more of them say that tithing isn't a necessary thing if they're sitting on that kind of money.

I can't talk to my wife about it, but I know she's read all of the church's statements and Des News articles and I am 100% sure she is more than satisfied by them.