If I could ask them one question . . . Come Follow Me, Lesson 6

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
annotatedbom

If I could ask them one question . . . Come Follow Me, Lesson 6

Post by annotatedbom » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:05 am

Come Follow Me, lesson 6, Feb. 3-9, 2 Ne 1-5
Annotated BoM starting at 2 Nephi 1

If I wanted to encourage thought and try to understand devout believers better, I might ask:  
"How could the Lehites have been kept from all nations to have the land to themselves?"

Click here to see Things to consider and the rest of my thoughts for this lesson.

Edited to update: The previous "If I could ask . . . " questions about the Come Follow Me lessons are now also loaded to the Annotated Book of Mormon site.

Enjoy!
A-BoM

Hagoth

Re: If I could ask them one question . . . Come Follow Me, Lesson 6

Post by Hagoth » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:20 pm

I LOOOVE Holland's A Promised Land article! It makes me nostalgic for the days when you didn't have to take facts into account. It's fascinating to read the Holland article alongside the DNA Gospel Topics essay to see just how different the stories are, and how desperately they are scrambling to find a story that works for them in the 21st century. Holland is telling what the church leaders have actually taught up until pesky science started turning peoples' heads. The essay lays down some convenient apologetics so in the future the church can't be accused of lying. What a mess they have on their hands!

But it is the Holland talk, not the essay, that discusses the actual doctrine. Holland is painting the Book of Mormon epic in large swaths of color. The essay is making excuses to cover his tracks.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:43 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:20 pm
I LOOOVE Holland's A Promised Land article! It makes me nostalgic for the days when you didn't have to take facts into account. It's fascinating to read the Holland article alongside the DNA Gospel Topics essay to see just how different the stories are, and how desperately they are scrambling to find a story that works for them in the 21st century. Holland is telling what the church leaders have actually taught up until pesky science started turning peoples' heads. The essay lays down some convenient apologetics so in the future the church can't be accused of lying. What a mess they have on their hands!

But it is the Holland talk, not the essay, that discusses the actual doctrine. Holland is painting the Book of Mormon epic in large swaths of color. The essay is making excuses to cover his tracks.
What an amazing article! I had not read it before, but, like you, it took me back to those halcyon days of youth when we didn't worry about reality when discussing doctrine.

I don't think asking one question is ever enough. When asked one question, the apologists can give an answer. However, when asked two questions, coming up with two answers that don't contradict each other starts to become a problem.

annotatedbom

Post by annotatedbom » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:09 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:20 pm
I LOOOVE Holland's A Promised Land article! It makes me nostalgic for the days when you didn't have to take facts into account. It's fascinating to read the Holland article alongside the DNA Gospel Topics essay to see just how different the stories are, and how desperately they are scrambling to find a story that works for them in the 21st century.
This is really interesting. It seems like the brethren have evolved over the last couple of decades or so. It seems they went from being so sure of themselves that they exuded and fostered a pride in the peculiarity of Mormonism, to being so cautious that they seem to lead with their PR and legal vetted statements. Gone are the days of Mormon GA bravado.

My epiphany transition from devout believer to admitting I no longer believed took a few days. Within two or three months from that transition, my sentiment for the GAs had changed from high respect to a mess of sorrow and anger. It's all so sad.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:08 pm

8 And behold, it is wisdom that this land should be kept as yet from the knowledge of other nations; for behold, many nations would overrun the land, that there would be no place for an inheritance.

9 And this land can only be entered by the young, for it shall be hidden in the back of an old wardrobe in the Pevensie attic. Yea, it is foretold that those who enter and are true shall become the Kings and Queens of Cair Paravel by command of Aslan.

10 The Kings and Queens shall be assisted by Puddleglum and Mr. Tumnus who are both from the stick of Joseph Tall Tales.
A Marshwiggle from the new land
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha