Oaks speculation

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Thoughtful

Oaks speculation

Post by Thoughtful » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:50 pm

F2F on the 23rd and a bombshell explosion of institutional abuse coming for Transfolk?

Anyone have info?

2bizE

Re: Oaks speculation

Post by 2bizE » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:01 am

I wouldn’t expect anything less that moderate gay bashing from Oaks. Not sure about his wife though.
~2bizE

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:05 am

Isn't it just the handbook coming out this week online followed by the F2F next weekend?

I'd jut expect more of the same - get ready for GenCon, read the First Vision (correlated, of course), and for the love of God pay your tithing with a little extra because private jets don't pay for themselves.

StarbucksMom

Post by StarbucksMom » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:28 am

Thoughtful wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:50 pm
F2F on the 23rd and a bombshell explosion of institutional abuse coming for Transfolk?
Can someone please translate this into English? :lol:

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:55 am

StarbucksMom wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:28 am
Thoughtful wrote:
Face to face on the 23rd of February. Oaks and his wife are doing the face to face.
~2bizE

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:07 pm

2bizE wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:55 am
StarbucksMom wrote:
Thoughtful wrote:
Face to face on the 23rd of February. Oaks and his wife are doing the face to face.
Yes and the rumor is this will be or will be paired with additional institutional aggression towards Transpeople.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:08 pm

StarbucksMom wrote:
Thoughtful wrote:
Sorry. I hate phone typing. Plus why cant you all read my mind yet? :D

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:03 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:08 pm
Sorry. I hate phone typing. Plus why cant you all read my mind yet? :D
To be fair, the Spirit of Discernment is just as accurate for me now as it was when I was a believer. It's also just as helpful for a series of bishops and stake presidents who continue to sign my temple recommend.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:42 pm

Latter Gay Stories on Facebook is saying changes will include ending stake high council church courts....

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:39 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:42 pm
Latter Gay Stories on Facebook is saying changes will include ending stake high council church courts....
Wouldn't that be a good thing for gay members? Ending the high council courts to discipline them for being gay?

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:36 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:39 pm
Thoughtful wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:42 pm
Wouldn't that be a good thing for gay members? Ending the high council courts to discipline them for being gay?
From what I inferred from what they claim they heard, it will courts handled by bishop and or stake president. It sounded like privacy for the church processes more than anything. Courts have been pretty heavily critiqued and I personally think they're toxic. However, I tend to see LDS.INC focusing on keeping bad press down instead of truly improving systems. What do you think?

Am I the only one seeing these rumors? Honestly wonder how much worse Oaks could possibly be than he already is.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:10 pm

Trying to impart their hatreds upon LDS youngsters can potentially backfire when these kids decide they no longer wish to be part of an organization that holds such hateful values. Let's hope President Oaks can expand on other parts of Utah culture such as Jell-O and fry sauce instead.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:33 pm

I realize that the LDS powers-that-be don't feel very constrained by scriptures, but high council court procedures are laid out in detail in the D&C. I'll be a little surprised if they go, certainly if they go and the church publicly says so. My understanding is that SLC doesn't like too many excommunications because people aren't coming back. Excommunication is only effective if the person getting kicked out sticks around to accept whatever grief the leaders dole out. Otherwise, it's just one less member.

Even if they do go, I don't see it as a benefit to the LGBT community. The decisions of the court are directed by the stake president. The high council gets to speak their opinions, but they have little power. If it's the stake presidency deciding the fate of the member, it will be the same abuse with fewer people in the room to report what happened or make uncomfortable recordings.

I'm betting on a low-key talk.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:39 am

blazerb wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:33 pm
I realize that the LDS powers-that-be don't feel very constrained by scriptures, but high council court procedures are laid out in detail in the D&C. I'll be a little surprised if they go, certainly if they go and the church publicly says so. My understanding is that SLC doesn't like too many excommunications because people aren't coming back. Excommunication is only effective if the person getting kicked out sticks around to accept whatever grief the leaders dole out. Otherwise, it's just one less member.

Even if they do go, I don't see it as a benefit to the LGBT community. The decisions of the court are directed by the stake president. The high council gets to speak their opinions, but they have little power. If it's the stake presidency deciding the fate of the member, it will be the same abuse with fewer people in the room to report what happened or make uncomfortable recordings.

I'm betting on a low-key talk.
I agree. I wonder if Oaks can check his ego and hatred enough to see how much they lose by continuing to harm LGBT.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:22 am

Here's a suuuuper cringy invitation

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/bro ... s?lang=eng

Oh and they are talking about Nephi "go and do all the things the Lord commands...." so that's not good.

Maybe I will do a live thread here in NOM to cover this clusterf$%k. Gonna need a lot of pink Moscato...
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:44 am

It won't let me submit a question.
I just want to know how Oaks sleeps at night.

f2fquestions.png
f2fquestions.png (43.96 KiB) Viewed 21170 times
But Donald G from Utah, United States gets to ask his super important question.

Let me answer this one Dallin.

Hey Donald G, what the hell is wrong with you? No one gives a sh!t what the girls in your ward want to call their classes. And you shouldn't either.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:30 pm

This seems to be aimed at the youth from that cringey invite - and not necessarily teenage youth... seems almost for those that are still in the early indoctrination phase.

I can't picture much about LGBTs in there at all, even if Oaks seems to hate them with every fiber of his being.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:13 pm

It sounds to me like they are turning over more and more decision making to local leader roulette. The reason for that, its seems to me, would be so they can pass along paperless verbal expectations that will inspire eager-to-please local leaders to treat LGBT members harshly while providing distance and deniability for the Holy Mucky-mucks. If a local leader fails to respond unkindly enough their leaders on the next tier up the ladder will receive "inspiration" about who should replace them. It's all in God's hands.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:17 pm

The ad I saw suggests the intended focus of the fireside(?) is about the new youth program. Of course President Oaks has his gospel hobby of LGBT bashing, so there may be a tinge of that as well.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:53 pm

MoPag wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:44 am
Hey Donald G, what the hell is wrong with you? No one gives a sh!t what the girls in your ward want to call their classes. And you shouldn't either.
You do have to admit that MIA Maids was an incredibly stupid name.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha