Lori Vallow and apocalyptic religion

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Linked

Re: Lori Vallow and apocalyptic religion

Post by Linked » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:55 pm

Spicy McHaggis wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:38 am
This guy's website appears to be about how science can't be trusted: https://universalmodel.com/

Apparently the myth and lore of bronze aged humans, as written in the Old Testament, should trump modern science.
Oh man, I almost blew a gasket looking through that website a few years back! We talked about it briefly in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=444

The guy claims to know the real science, and that most scientists have it all mixed up. But it's the opposite of science. He holds to his conclusion regardless of the evidence, rather than following where the evidence leads.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:13 pm

On the news they said these folks believe the world is ending in July. Anybody have further details?

I would be entirely skeptical except that the the pestilence has begun and the constitution is hanging by a thread.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:42 am

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:13 pm
On the news they said these folks believe the world is ending in July. Anybody have further details?

I would be entirely skeptical except that the the pestilence has begun and the constitution is hanging by a thread.
😂. She’s a god and will help the 144,000 usher in Christ’s return July 24, 2020. I bought extra popcorn just in case.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:51 am

Want to start a pool on what her excuse will be on July 25?
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:30 am

Just This Guy wrote:Want to start a pool on what her excuse will be on July 25?
"I was put in prison!"

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:42 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:51 am
Want to start a pool on what her excuse will be on July 25?
The faithful weren’t faithful enough!

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:23 pm

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:30 am
Just This Guy wrote:Want to start a pool on what her excuse will be on July 25?
"I was put in prison!"
Interesting eh?

She can foresee the "second coming" and her role as a "god" in that, but she couldn't foresee her own imprisonment, and for some strange reason her "god powers" can't get her out of prison.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Random

Post by Random » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:35 pm

Anon70 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:42 pm
The faithful weren’t faithful enough!
This seems to be the typical fallback for religious leaders of sects/groups who are waiting for the prophesied return on such-and-such a date when it doesn't happen.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK