Lori Vallow and apocalyptic religion

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

Lori Vallow and apocalyptic religion

Post by Hagoth » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:06 pm

I keep hearing on broadcast news about Lori Vallow's attachment to a "cult" but they never say what it is. This USA article says she and her husband have what sounds like a very TBM+scrupulosity kind of background but it really took a turn for the crazy when she joined something called "Preparing A People."
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 721695002/

Anybody know anything about that? Considering her talk about the 2nd coming, people becoming gods, having a translated body (reason she won't see doctors - they'll find out), etc. I suspect it's an LDS spinoff. See, this is what happens when you actually take this stuff seriously.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

wtfluff

Re: Lori Vallow and apocalyptic religion

Post by wtfluff » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:11 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:06 pm
"Preparing A People."
Google says: https://www.preparingapeople.com/

There's also some more fun links further down the search...
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:15 pm

Looks like Preparing A People is claiming that they are merely a media company that provides an audio/video platform for LDS speakers. They're website now consists solely of a cease and desist order to media outlets that basically says "we're not crazy, you're crazy!"

https://www.preparingapeople.com/
We formally are notifying all Media and individuals to Cease and Desist from mentioning the Preparing a People Event Brand, or our Media company in any negative connection with Chad or Lori Daybell, or their case...

Christ is King. As always, we will Praise Him in any Storm.
Nothing culty here folks, move along.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:25 pm

Chad Daybell was involved with Julie Rowe and he also wrote books like Julie about end days prophecy.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:35 am

It's crazy people like this that have convinced me to not reveal to coworkers that I am LDS. I just walk around the office with my coffee cup and don't mention religion at all.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:13 am

After listening to the audio book Under the Banner of Heaven; I started wondering at all the Smith spin offs since he invented it. All the folks who get caught up in the made up drama of the last days, or spin up polygamy again in an effort to feed their predatory control over women and abuse of children. We see it happen time and time again, at least two or three in the media every year.

It would be interesting to compare the list of spin offs to other religions. Would it be an indicator as to how cultish a religion is? At least for those religions that purport to be mainstream.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

alas

Post by alas » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:17 am

RubinHighlander wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:13 am
After listening to the audio book Under the Banner of Heaven; I started wondering at all the Smith spin offs since he invented it. All the folks who get caught up in the made up drama of the last days, or spin up polygamy again in an effort to feed their predatory control over women and abuse of children. We see it happen time and time again, at least two or three in the media every year.

It would be interesting to compare the list of spin offs to other religions. Would it be an indicator as to how cultish a religion is? At least for those religions that purport to be mainstream.
Mormons do seem to have a lot of nutty spinoffs, but I wonder how much is because Mormon nut spinoffs hit the local news bigger and more frequently than others, especially here in Utah/Mountain west. But when we look at some of the others, at least the Mormon nut cases don’t have a pattern of taking all their followers with them. And for sheer scope of cult, I don’t think JimJones has been beat yet. Even David Koresh took people with him, same with Heaven’s gate. Mormon nut cases commit murder, but so far there has not been a mass suicide, knock on wood.

I had a friend who was raised in the 1930s Bible Belt. He talked about how every year or so some local preacher would announce the end of the world and their whole congregation would pack up and head up into the mountains and wait for a week or so, and when the world didn’t end they would all go home and resume life as if nothing had happened. They had their preppers who stocked up on food and ammo. He stayed leery of Mormons for that very reason for many years after his wife joined the church.

So, Mormons are not the only ones with second coming delusions and not the only ones with spin off cults.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:21 pm

The platform may have been a media company but the participants clearly are on a different path of their own. These seminars have garnered a large following.

Look at the size of the crowd in this picture. They fill up large hotel auditorium size conference rooms.

From 8:30 AM to 10 PM??? That’s a long day!

A Boise seminar last year.

What do Chad and Shawn have in common?

Last edited by Red Ryder on Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:32 pm

Rod Meldrum? I had no idea he was into this kind of stuff too. I am SO there. I hope all of the killings and missing children haven't curbed their enthusiasm for hosting these events. After all, it's just a tiny fraction of the horrors to come if they get to experience what they're all so enthusiastic about.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:37 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:32 pm
Rod Meldrum? I had no idea he was into this kind of stuff too. I am SO there. I hope all of the killings and missing children haven't curbed their enthusiasm for hosting these events. After all, it's just a tiny fraction of the horrors to come if they get to experience what they're all so enthusiastic about.
I think somebody needs to infiltrate these meetings for entertainment purposes. How does the church let these groups prosper? They are clearly focused and attended by LDS members.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:41 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:37 pm
How does the church let these groups prosper? They are clearly focused and attended by LDS members.
Anything that keeps them motivated to pay tithing and continue singing praises to the Big Men.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:35 pm

I think this whole Vallow thing is as strange to us Mormons as Mormonism is strange to normal non Mormon folk.
~2bizE

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:11 am

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:41 pm
Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:37 pm
How does the church let these groups prosper? They are clearly focused and attended by LDS members.
Anything that keeps them motivated to pay tithing and continue singing praises to the Big Men.
I would expect the Big Men to be monitoring the events closely for signs of another Denver Snuffer or Julie Rowe. People having more visions than they do (i.e. at least one) has got to be a threat to their authority.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:07 am

And there's my favorite Book of Abraham apologist, Bruce Porter along with BoM Heartland theorist, Rod Meldrum. If my in-laws were not on a mission, they might have attended this event. There would have been a non-zero chance that I would have been invited.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:02 pm

2bizE wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:35 pm
I think this whole Vallow thing is as strange to us Mormons as Mormonism is strange to normal non Mormon folk.
That's what's really weird about this stuff. Kind of like polygamy. It's creepy and foreign to standard Mormons, and they want/need to distance themselves from it. BUT it is composed of essential, fundamental components of the religion that a true believer really should acknowledge and accept if he really, really believes it. It's kind of like if you are an obsessively literal believer in the underlying doctrines, and not just loyal to the personality cult of authority figures, it is almost inevitable that you will end up going in one of these directions. You have to chop off a few limbs of the pure religion to continue living as a normal, functional member of the day-to-day official, approved Latter-Day Saint church. You have to stop believing little things like that the apocalypse will begin any minute now.

Spicy McHaggis

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:38 am

I looked at some of those websites from the presenters list in RedRider's post.

This guy writes BoM fan fiction: https://thewarchapters.com/

Interesting that what his fan fiction is about is war. Not the teachings of Jesus, but war.

This guy's website appears to be about how science can't be trusted: https://universalmodel.com/

Apparently the myth and lore of bronze aged humans, as written in the Old Testament, should trump modern science.

Spicy McHaggis

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:41 am

What ever ends up happening to these types? Julie Rowe was claiming that her visions showed that Jesus was going to return, what 6 years ago?
Does she just keep resetting and moving the goalposts when it doesn't happen?

When this Lori Vallow lunatic doesn't help usher in the 2nd Coming this summer, as she claims she will, how will she end up changing her story?

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:27 pm

Spicy McHaggis wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:41 am
What ever ends up happening to these types? Julie Rowe was claiming that her visions showed that Jesus was going to return, what 6 years ago?
Does she just keep resetting and moving the goalposts when it doesn't happen?

When this Lori Vallow lunatic doesn't help usher in the 2nd Coming this summer, as she claims she will, how will she end up changing her story?
Julie Rowe disappeared from the "limelight" for a while after her apocalyptic predictions didn't come true. I'm not sure if her followers gave up on her, or if they've all just gone underground for the time being.

She did show up recently on one or more podcasts kind of defending Chad Daybell (Row'e's "angels" told her that Tammy Daybell was going to die.)

Once August rolls around (Lori Vallow says Jesus will be here in July, correct?) Who knows what will happen. At this point it looks like Lori will be spending the foreseeable future behind bars. I don't know if Rowe blamed everyone else for not being righteous enough when her predictions didn't happen, but isn't that the Modus Operandi of the majority of these kooks when their visions fail?

I hope the kids are actually OK, but with the way everyone around Chad and Lori has been "conveniently" dying, that hope is likely in vain.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:43 pm

Spicy McHaggis wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:38 am
Doubly hilarious because the BoM IS fan fiction.

Spicy McHaggis

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:53 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:43 pm
Spicy McHaggis wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:38 am
Doubly hilarious because the BoM IS fan fiction.
Super double fan fiction.