What kind of jerk makes everyone in the room wait for him to stand? Elder Bednar, apparently.

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Not Buying It

What kind of jerk makes everyone in the room wait for him to stand? Elder Bednar, apparently.

Post by Not Buying It » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:40 am

Have any of you seen this video where Sister Bednar almost stands up before her eminently honorable husband at the end of a worldwide devotional, almost creating a serious breach of apostolic protocol? And what kind of a jerk expects everyone in the whole room to just sit and wait while he chats up the young lady next to him? What a pompous, self-important Pharisee. Watch the video - everyone in the room just sits and waits for him to get up. Is this what Christ was about? How can this man claim to represent Christ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPBsWbo ... u2nMgoPdBQ
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Apologeticsislying

Re: What kind of jerk makes everyone in the room wait for him to stand? Elder Bednar, apparently.

Post by Apologeticsislying » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:53 am

Show properly respect for MY authoritah!!! I'm going to caricature the hell out of this self righteous chump.
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-

2bizE

Re: What kind of jerk makes everyone in the room wait for him to stand? Elder Bednar, apparently.

Post by 2bizE » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:35 pm

I don’t allow anyone to stand up after dinner or from family prayer until I do. Isn’t that what all patriarchs in the home do? You make it sound like a bad thing.... :D
~2bizE

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:18 pm

Apologeticsislying wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:53 am
Show properly respect for MY authoritah!!! I'm going to caricature the hell out of this self righteous chump.
Can’t wait.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:32 pm

I bet Family Home Evening in the Bednar home is a whole lotta fun.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:12 pm

Didn’t he also revoke an apostolic blessing for people standing and *gasp* visiting in the chapel after one of his speeches? The arrogance is strong in this one.

Apologeticsislying

Post by Apologeticsislying » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:36 pm

Anon70 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:12 pm
Didn’t he also revoke an apostolic blessing for people standing and *gasp* visiting in the chapel after one of his speeches? The arrogance is strong in this one.
He revoked a blessing for THAT?! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Man I would HATE to be the humans in HIS universe when he makes his own.......
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:36 am

Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:53 am
Show properly respect for MY authoritah!!!
David Bednar vs Eric Cartman. Which one would you choose to worship? Don't think Eric would get hung up on who stands first. BTW, what is with the Church for allowing such a royal protocol?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:39 am

Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:36 pm
Anon70 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:12 pm
He revoked a blessing for THAT?! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Man I would HATE to be the humans in HIS universe when he makes his own.......
Yeah, that happened, back in 2012 at a meeting in St. Louis, I remember discussing it on the old board. When he was president of BYU-I he used to have students at devotionals hold up their scriptures in this cringy way that was reminiscent of the Nazi salute. The guy’s a real weirdo, and he’s in a position where he never gets feedback so he can course correct, so he’s just going to get weirder as the years go by. Then he becomes President of the Church because he is younger than most of the others. Fun times ahead!

P.S. If you really want to see how weird he is, watch him manhandle this emotional young kid while teaching about “The Lord’s Side of the Line”. Creeps me out whenever I see it: http://seek.deseretbook.com/lord-s-side-line/i. There’s some full body contact with the young man I consider inappropriate starting at 3:25, and everyone in the audience just sits and laughs. It is uncomfortable, creepy, and the best example I know of showing what a weirdo the guy is.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:35 pm

That's a great video. It's clear that Bednar catches his wife nearly standing out of the corner of his eye, and it seems to me that he deliberately waits a little bit to teach a lesson. Jonathan Streeter has an even more interesting one on his Thinker of Thoughts youtube channel, with Elder Stevenson in Madagascar. It's hilarious, especially for the golf voice commentary he does:

https://youtu.be/NG9k7i-JOuw

Where did this standing thing for apostles come from, anyway? I've never quite understood it, or why it's important to do. It seems to be one of Packer's unwritten order of things, right out of the Pharisee playbook.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:06 am

Not Buying It wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:39 am
When he was president of BYU-I he used to have students at devotionals hold up their scriptures in this cringy way that was reminiscent of the Nazi salute. The guy’s a real weirdo, and he’s in a position where he never gets feedback so he can course correct, so he’s just going to get weirder as the years go by. Then he becomes President of the Church because he is younger than most of the others. Fun times ahead!
Oh I did this when I was at BYU-I. We all did. We had to. That's the world we lived in when he was in charge.

On a lighter note, check out this song:
https://weirdalma.bandcamp.com/track/do ... -before-me

:lol: :lol:
It's so perfect!!!
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:38 pm

What kind of jerk? A real jerk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:08 am

Mormorrisey wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:35 pm
That's a great video. It's clear that Bednar catches his wife nearly standing out of the corner of his eye, and it seems to me that he deliberately waits a little bit to teach a lesson. Jonathan Streeter has an even more interesting one on his Thinker of Thoughts youtube channel, with Elder Stevenson in Madagascar. It's hilarious, especially for the golf voice commentary he does:

https://youtu.be/NG9k7i-JOuw

Where did this standing thing for apostles come from, anyway? I've never quite understood it, or why it's important to do. It seems to be one of Packer's unwritten order of things, right out of the Pharisee playbook.
Both of these videos are great. When you tell everyone that you have authority but you don't have any real power backing it up, it's important to institute dominance rituals to assert that authority.

Random

Post by Random » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:59 pm

Sometimes (not often, because I'm leaving the Church behind more and more) it's fun to daydream being in a meeting where Bednar is up on the stand. I'm sitting in the last row of comfy benches (you know, the one with the aisle right in front of it), in the center. As soon as the meeting ends, I get up and leave before Bednar has a chance to decide to stand. I don't rush out. I just get up immediately after the prayer and walk out like it's perfectly normal.

Man, I wish twenty or a hundred people would do that at every meeting he was on the stand for (and the bigger the meeting, the more who would stand and leave because the meeting was over, not caring a bit whether this man had decided to stand up or not).
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:46 pm

Not Buying It wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:39 am
P.S. If you really want to see how weird he is, watch him manhandle this emotional young kid while teaching about “The Lord’s Side of the Line”. Creeps me out whenever I see it: http://seek.deseretbook.com/lord-s-side-line/i. There’s some full body contact with the young man I consider inappropriate starting at 3:25, and everyone in the audience just sits and laughs. It is uncomfortable, creepy, and the best example I know of showing what a weirdo the guy is.
That poor kid is doing his best to hold back the tears. The other problem with this video is that it teaches a very counterproductive lesson. If you sin the Devil takes full control of you and there's no chance of redemption. I hope that kid figured things out and is now living a life free of Bednarism.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."