Honor Code clarified (?)

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Jeffret

Honor Code clarified (?)

Post by Jeffret » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:13 pm

The LDS Church has "clarified" the Honor Code policy: After BYU Honor Code change, LDS Church now says same-sex relationships are ‘not compatible’ with the faith’s rules or Twitter.

Basically, they've clarified by not really clarifying. At least they hold to their usual pattern of making more of a mess of things.

The key statement is, “Same-sex romantic behavior cannot lead to eternal marriage and is therefore not compatible with the principles included in the Honor Code.” But, that doesn't make much sense, really. And there isn't a policy against it, so it's going to be difficult to enforce the policy.

So, they want to be really clear to everyone (particularly the homophobes) that they're really against gays. But, they don't any specific policies about what they can't do.
"Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
And the truth isn't what you want to see" (Charles Hart, "The Music of the Night")

Jeffret

Re: Honor Code clarified (?)

Post by Jeffret » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:10 pm

This is a little bit of a clarification: Q & A with the director of BYU’s Honor Code Office
And the truth isn't what you want to see" (Charles Hart, "The Music of the Night")

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:14 pm

More double speak.

They might as well say this:

“Opposite-sex romantic behavior that doesn’t lead to eternal marriage is therefore not compatible with the principles included in the Honor Code.”

Why don’t they ban all romantic behavior unless married in the temple?

Solves the problem!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Mormon 8

Post by Mormon 8 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:44 pm

Simple... they're trying to win the loyalty and praise of the gay student population in order to maintain their student loans and grants at current levels and preventing a rebellion/exit of a large demographic of students while making it look to the heterosexual/traditional TBM students like they're still maintaining a stance against the 'sin'. They want the best of both worlds so as to keep their student base in tact so as to not disrupt the money flow. It's a facade that is easy to see through.

StarbucksMom

Post by StarbucksMom » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:42 pm

So gay dating that leads to temple marriage: NOPE.

Gay dating that leads to civil marriage: YUP.

Got it.

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:11 pm

Saw several posts online about NCMOs and dating for fun. If heterosexual, are those also now in violation of the HC? So stupid. I keep getting surprised by how bad the church is at...well...everything related to true Christ like behavior.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:43 pm

Anon70 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:11 pm
Saw several posts online about NCMOs and dating for fun. If heterosexual, are those also now in violation of the HC? So stupid. I keep getting surprised by how bad the church is at...well...everything related to true Christ like behavior.
NCMO... that’s a term I haven’t heard since my days at Ricks College. I guess the girls were afraid of commitment there! :lol:

For any normal non-Mormon people reading this:
NCMO = Non Committal Make Out

Or in other words, Hooking up without the sex part. You know, like the horizontal lambada, Levi loving, grinding wheat, soaking, kissing with your eyes open, that kind of stuff.

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:32 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:43 pm
Or in other words, Hooking up without the sex part. You know, like the horizontal lambada, Levi loving, grinding wheat, soaking, kissing with your eyes open, that kind of stuff.
Ha! All things that, arguably, “do not lead to a celestial marriage”

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:10 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:43 pm
For any normal non-Mormon people reading this:
NCMO = Non Committal Make Out

Or someone who went to a normal college...
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:17 pm

They want to have their cake and eat it too.

The church is desperate to not be seen an awful towards LGBTs and they also want to make sure their federal funding doesn't get held up because of discrimination, yet they want to leave the tools open to punish gays for being broken monsters who will never achieve celestual glory.

But while they make these cosmetic changes, they gave hope to so many members just to pull the rug out from under them.

These men have no idea what to do - the world has passed them by and they feel like they need to save it, but the reality is that they are just old, bigoted white dudes who can't be bothered with science and reason.

alas

Post by alas » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:58 pm

Having lived through the stuff that went on at BYU with them wanting to maintain their racist doctrine, but not be shunned by other schools ball teams, this sure looks familiar. Then they wanted to be racist but not held accountable for being racist. Now, they want to be homophobic but not be held accountable for being homophobic.

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:20 am

“Same-sex romantic behavior cannot lead to eternal marriage and is therefore not compatible with the principles included in the Honor Code.” Therefore, any same-sex romantic behavior is a violation of the principles of the Honor Code
This basically means that they tried normalizing the BYU policy to be in tune with the rest of America, but this flamed the ire of conservative members to such a degree that the Church decided to resume their police state tactics with informants and its Inquisitional Committee which will punish LQBTQ students with expulsion. I suspect they will try to paint a smiley face on future villainy.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:29 am

alas wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:58 pm
Having lived through the stuff that went on at BYU with them wanting to maintain their racist doctrine, but not be shunned by other schools ball teams, this sure looks familiar. Then they wanted to be racist but not held accountable for being racist. Now, they want to be homophobic but not be held accountable for being homophobic.
It will be up to various universities to put an end to their formal contacts with BYU. I do not see that happening with the religious schools of the West Coast Conference.

Parents and students with a social conscience should steer clear of BYU. They will still do plenty of business from those who do not fall into that category.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:50 am

jfro18 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:17 pm
They want to have their cake and eat it too.

The church is desperate to not be seen an awful towards LGBTs and they also want to make sure their federal funding doesn't get held up because of discrimination, yet they want to leave the tools open to punish gays for being broken monsters who will never achieve celestual glory.

But while they make these cosmetic changes, they gave hope to so many members just to pull the rug out from under them.

These men have no idea what to do - the world has passed them by and they feel like they need to save it, but the reality is that they are just old, bigoted white dudes who can't be bothered with science and reason.

Yep. They want to change just enough to get accepted by the rest of the world without alienating and confusing their existing members. This reversal is a real cluster, and could have been avoided, but some of the Brethren couldn’t stand that idea that two guys or two girls might be kissing or holding hands at the Lord’s University, and now they look worse than ever.

For an organization led by a guy who talks to God, the Church makes some incredibly inept decisions sometimes.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Jeffret

Post by Jeffret » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:16 am

Not Buying It wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:50 am
For an organization led by a guy who talks to God, the Church makes some incredibly inept decisions sometimes.
Sometimes?

Brent

Post by Brent » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:20 am

Andrew Walker, Public Affairs Vice President Pac-12, awalker@pac-12.org.

Dear Sir,
Pardon the interruption but I cannot find a contact email other than in the media group.  Please pass this along to the appropriate person/persons.  

I am sure that the Conference is aware of Brigham Young University's stance on same-sex relationships.  

https://www.sltrib.com/news/education/2 ... onor-code/

To be perfectly clear: I am a BYU alumni and father of a gay child.  I see this not as a political issue but as an issue of basic human rights, and believe that continued sporting relationships with BYU are on par with supporting South Africa during Apartheid.  BYU is clearly saying that my child is not worthy or capable of romantic love with the person of his choosing.  My child is not some kind of lesser being who should deny who he is and then live a life devoid of romantic love.  Love is a basic human right.  Love is constrained by Brigham Young University's policies.  I'm not asking that the Pac-12 take an immediate political action, instead I ask that the Pac-12 no longer schedule athletic contests with BYU.  It is beneath your athlete's dignity (particularly Gay students) to have to compete with an openly homophobic institutional culture.  By competing against athletes who play for a biased university you give credibility to that institution and its bias which is beneath the dignity of the Pac-12.  

I ask not for cancellation of currently scheduled events but ask you schedule no more.

Thank You for your time and consideration,

Brent
BYU Alum, Father of a Gay child

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:54 am

I’d like to point out the irony here:

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:56 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:54 am
I’d like to point out the irony here:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:02 am

Random

Post by Random » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:07 pm

Mormon 8 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:44 pm
Simple... they're trying to win the loyalty and praise of the gay student population in order to maintain their student loans and grants at current levels and preventing a rebellion/exit of a large demographic of students while making it look to the heterosexual/traditional TBM students like they're still maintaining a stance against the 'sin'. They want the best of both worlds so as to keep their student base in tact so as to not disrupt the money flow. It's a facade that is easy to see through.
So I wonder if the student population is also decreasing (in comparison with tithing decreasing, and more and more people resigning, and baptisms down), and if they're worried about having a giant downturn of the student population at BYU?
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK