If I could ask them one question . . . Come Follow Me, Lesson 11

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
annotatedbom

If I could ask them one question . . . Come Follow Me, Lesson 11

Post by annotatedbom » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:11 am

For Come Follow Me, lesson 11, March 9-15, Jacob 1-4

If I wanted to encourage thought and try to understand devout believers better, I might ask:
"Polygamy, which way is it?"

Click here to see the Things to consider for this lesson.

Enjoy!
A-Bom

Hagoth

Re: If I could ask them one question . . . Come Follow Me, Lesson 11

Post by Hagoth » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:32 am

Your bullet points are excellent. This one is really tough to weasel your way around if you look at the facts. Everything I was taught about the reasons for polygamy was wrong, and even those that might have applied to Brigham Young would not have applied to Joseph Smith, who started the whole ball rolling.

The Gospel Topics essay just messes things up further by making it impossible to deny that Joseph was the author of the whole thing. The best option for a faithful person is to take the Snuffer route and deny Joseph's polygamy, but if you believe in the current Salt Lake leadership you are stuck with the admissions of the essay (assuming that you would ever read such anti-mormon literature).
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:10 am

I prophesy that the overwhelming majority of Sunday School classes will avoid this point as much as possible. The few that do mention it immediately jump to verse 30:
Joseph Smith probably wrote:For if I will, saith the Lord of Hosts, raise up seed unto me, I will command my people; otherwise they shall hearken unto these things.
That allows all of the 19th century plural marriage.

annotatedbom

Post by annotatedbom » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:52 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:32 am
This one is really tough to weasel your way around if you look at the facts. Everything I was taught about the reasons for polygamy was wrong, and even those that might have applied to Brigham Young would not have applied to Joseph Smith, who started the whole ball rolling.
Yeah, especially the Jacob 2:24 vs D&C 132:39 contradiction. If I had noticed that as a devout believer, I don't think I could have resolved it to my satisfaction. I think the cog dis would have sat heavily on my shelf. Might have brought it down a little sooner.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:14 am

annotatedbom wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:52 pm
Hagoth wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:32 am
This one is really tough to weasel your way around if you look at the facts. Everything I was taught about the reasons for polygamy was wrong, and even those that might have applied to Brigham Young would not have applied to Joseph Smith, who started the whole ball rolling.
Yeah, especially the Jacob 2:24 vs D&C 132:39 contradiction. If I had noticed that as a devout believer, I don't think I could have resolved it to my satisfaction. I think the cog dis would have sat heavily on my shelf. Might have brought it down a little sooner.
Here's another "if I could ask them one question" question:

Question: What happened between Joseph Smith's 1829 BoM translation in which God renounced David and Solomon's polygamy as sinful and Joseph's 1843 revelation in which God sanctioned, even commanded, that same polygamy?

Answer: 40 wives!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:47 am

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:14 am

Answer: 40 wives!
Oooof!! Nailed it. 😳 Or maybe Joseph nailed it - again and again and again and again......😂😂😂