COVID-19 -- game in play

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Rob4Hope

COVID-19 -- game in play

Post by Rob4Hope » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:59 am

Hello All,

Been a while since I posted.

I'm pretty much blown away with the fallout so far with the CARONOVIRUS. I listened to Governor Herbert's announcements yesterday and how they are affecting people across the state. I then saw my company mandate a WFH policy across the board, hear about the school's working to QUICKLY make it possible (k12 that is) for electronic instruction, read about the LDS church shutting down its meetings, and also talked to my friend in Florida.

Yesterday I went to a store to purchase normal food I could eat, just having had a dental procedure that calls for soft food for a week, and WAS FREAKED OUT by what I saw. There was a line close to 50 yards for every single checkout lane!

My friend in Florida said the schools there...all of them...have been canceled and everyone is doing home instruction. He also said the stores are closed, which is NOT uncommon with hurricanes, but this time (he said) things are different; there is a different 'fear' in the air.

When things like this happen, there often is a big movement in money, changes in government law and policy, etc.

Anyone got any ideas or predictions?

Also, I wonder what the LDS Prepper community is doing about all this. Any doomsday prophecies coming out?

Palerider

Re: COVID-19 -- game in play

Post by Palerider » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:26 am

We're currently in Southern Cali. If we need to immediately we can drive back to the Northwest (which I planned on doing 1st of April anyway) to our rural home where we have our own well water, a six month supply of food and sundries, nearby trout stream and river, abundant game, numerous tools/equipment, a six month supply of firewood, various implements of the shooting variety ;)

We could go off-grid without much discomfort. I've never considered myself a "prepper". I'm just a little paranoid. :? 8-)
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:51 pm

I know one of the inner city principals in the SLC Area....k through 6.

They just got the word that K12 schools are closing (soft close) for 2 weeks, and kids are supposed to do their work from home. The school has ipads they can check out to the kids...HOWEVER, a lot of those families do not have WI-FI, nor access to it. Whether we are willing to admit it or not, some families,...ie, those who are refugee families, don't have some of that.

It amazes me how unintentionally this kindof policy, though geared at protecting kids, actually discriminates. That is a side issue,...but I know this friend of mine will be in the thick of it for a while. Converting a system where 98% of the kids are required, by LAW, to be fed breakfast and dinner both because of the extreme poverty they suffer, doesn't go well with all of the sudden sending them home for 2 weeks.

The school will convert their meals to sack breakfast/lunch which the kids will come to the school to get. Some ride the bus, some TRAX, some have to walk a long distance. Their families don't have supervision, so this is just got problems written all over it. The Governor assured everyone that this is to protect Utah. I sure hope that their isn't a massive problem starting with other problems because of this.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:36 pm

Rob4Hope wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:51 pm
I know one of the inner city principals in the SLC Area....k through 6.

They just got the word that K12 schools are closing (soft close) for 2 weeks, and kids are supposed to do their work from home. The school has ipads they can check out to the kids...HOWEVER, a lot of those families do not have WI-FI, nor access to it. Whether we are willing to admit it or not, some families,...ie, those who are refugee families, don't have some of that.

It amazes me how unintentionally this kindof policy, though geared at protecting kids, actually discriminates. That is a side issue,...but I know this friend of mine will be in the thick of it for a while. Converting a system where 98% of the kids are required, by LAW, to be fed breakfast and dinner both because of the extreme poverty they suffer, doesn't go well with all of the sudden sending them home for 2 weeks.

The school will convert their meals to sack breakfast/lunch which the kids will come to the school to get. Some ride the bus, some TRAX, some have to walk a long distance. Their families don't have supervision, so this is just got problems written all over it. The Governor assured everyone that this is to protect Utah. I sure hope that their isn't a massive problem starting with other problems because of this.
Oregon has been distributing food via bus routes.
Our schools remain open, mainly because distance ed isn't feasible and kids won't eat.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:54 am

The schools are closed here. I will give them credit that they are setting up online classes and homework.

Kids not eating is a major concern, but local restaurants have taken it on themselves to help out. A couple restaurants are offering free lunches to school age kids. That then became an online challenge to other restaurants to do the same. It has become a semi-viral challenge for restaurants to setup to help out. So far, over a dozen restaurants are participating.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:43 am

Our schools have closed.
District providing 2 meals a day weekdays and a backpack full of food on weekends.

"No new instruction" just review assignments available, while they attempt to figure out how to provide compensatory services for disabilities at some point.

Exiled

Post by Exiled » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:51 am

Riding out the storm here in Las Vegas, in search of toilet paper and bottled water. I hear ammo is in short supply too. People are very protective of their 40,000 roll t.p. supply here and will fight to the death to keep it intact. :lol:

Apologeticsislying

Post by Apologeticsislying » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:01 pm

Ammo on the shelves at our local Cabellas is literally GONE........... I was smart enough to shop last week and the shelves were loaded! One mere week and they made hundreds of thousands of dollars! And we are safer now because when the virus gits here we can shoot it to death! :roll:
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-

JustHangingOn@57

Post by JustHangingOn@57 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:44 pm

If only there was an organization, any organization, that could free up a couple hundred million dollars to help feed or clothe the needy. If Jesus were here, surely he would head up such an organization.

If only...

no1saint

Post by no1saint » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:27 pm

I live in Melbourne Australia, panic buying is stripping the supermarkets of basic supplies. I work in Recruitment and one of my clients supplies to over 100 large stores. It is challenging to find enough forklift operators for the warehouses and then enough truck drivers to ensure the supply lines remain open. We are the back up to their back up and rostering has gone from 4 shifts a day to 30 just for us. To complete this we have FaceTime interviews and have shifted our entire recruitment process to online. If needs be, I can technically can work from home or anywhere in the world with internet and a phone.

Our schools are still open for now. Not sure how long that will go for. Our state and federal governments are preparing for flu season to start where the number of cases will most likely go through the roof.

Apologeticsislying

Post by Apologeticsislying » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:35 am

JustHangingOn@57 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:44 pm
If only there was an organization, any organization, that could free up a couple hundred million dollars to help feed or clothe the needy. If Jesus were here, surely he would head up such an organization.

If only...
No such animal..........It won't even reach out and help its own on a significant scale.......you think it gives a flip about the "wicked world" which they secretly hope God will cleanse so they can inherit the earth? ;)
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-

Exiled

Post by Exiled » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:53 am

JustHangingOn@57 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:44 pm

If only...
The fund is too busy looking for its bailout to be bothered with such trivial issues as doing charity. The goal of reaching $1 Trillion in assets must continue to be the area of focus. Let governments take care of the population.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:05 pm

Exiled wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:51 am
Riding out the storm here in Las Vegas, in search of toilet paper and bottled water. I hear ammo is in short supply too. People are very protective of their 40,000 roll t.p. supply here and will fight to the death to keep it intact. :lol:
I did a summer semester at UNLV back in the day. In a discussion of apocalyptic scenarios the teacher asked class what they would do in an emergency if food became scarce. The immediate answer was, "Go to Utah and take it from the Mormons!"
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Yobispo

Post by Yobispo » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:03 pm

In in NorCal. My best pal is a law enforcement office way up in the leadership (trying to be careful). He just told me he heard that looting has begun in SF. It's such a big, populated city with one of the largest homeless populations (not blaming here, just stating a fact) and I have to imagine kinda tough to resupply any markets in the city.

As someone out in the valley, I remember my church emergency preparedness training. We were not worried about flood in my area (we should have been) and quakes were actually not the top priority. Our #1 catastrophic problem in the Sacramento area was the human flood from the Oakland, SF, San Jose area as those poor folks reacted to quake, flood, power loss, etc. Several million people jammed into a small area need to go somewhere for food and shelter. So when I hear that looting is starting only 48 hours after the Gov locked us down it starts to tickle my old mormon end of days-bones.

Be careful everyone, and maybe repent just a little. :)

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:00 pm

There was gnashing of teeth at my home on Tuesday when school teachers reached out to my kids with homework assignments...they stopped complaining though and went to work completing their studies. They thought they were on a coronavacation....
~2bizE

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:29 pm

Yobispo wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:03 pm
So when I hear that looting is starting only 48 hours after the Gov locked us down it starts to tickle my old mormon end of days-bones.
Great, my son is living in the Mission District. We ordered some Costco food delivery for him and just found out it's going to take a week and half of the items (chicken, beef) are unavailable.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:32 pm

Today's letter from our bishop reminds us that with COVID-19 the Lord has blessed us with a wonderful opportunity to demonstrate the prophetic foresight of Pres. Nelson's home-study program.

Apologeticsislying

Post by Apologeticsislying » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:19 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:32 pm
Today's letter from our bishop reminds us that with COVID-19 the Lord has blessed us with a wonderful opportunity to demonstrate the prophetic foresight of Pres. Nelson's home-study program.
Oh good Lord, they have it set up so that anything that happens, anything at all, like my wife breaking her fingernail, can be cast into a prophetic mode. What cheap antics.

Exiled

Post by Exiled » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:57 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:05 pm
Exiled wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:51 am
I did a summer semester at UNLV back in the day. In a discussion of apocalyptic scenarios the teacher asked class what they would do in an emergency if food became scarce. The immediate answer was, "Go to Utah and take it from the Mormons!"
We have our eye on St. George once the mormons here are conquered and tp supplies are obtained. We will not be without proper hygiene!

Emower

Post by Emower » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:03 am

Yobispo wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:03 pm
In in NorCal. My best pal is a law enforcement office way up in the leadership (trying to be careful). He just told me he heard that looting has begun in SF. It's such a big, populated city with one of the largest homeless populations (not blaming here, just stating a fact) and I have to imagine kinda tough to resupply any markets in the city.

As someone out in the valley, I remember my church emergency preparedness training. We were not worried about flood in my area (we should have been) and quakes were actually not the top priority. Our #1 catastrophic problem in the Sacramento area was the human flood from the Oakland, SF, San Jose area as those poor folks reacted to quake, flood, power loss, etc. Several million people jammed into a small area need to go somewhere for food and shelter. So when I hear that looting is starting only 48 hours after the Gov locked us down it starts to tickle my old mormon end of days-bones.

Be careful everyone, and maybe repent just a little. :)
Carson Reno area here. Nevada is pretty worried about Californians coming here to get away from situations like you just described.