If I could ask them one question . . . Come Follow Me, Lesson 12

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
annotatedbom

If I could ask them one question . . . Come Follow Me, Lesson 12

Post by annotatedbom » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:39 am

For Come Follow Me, lesson 12, March 16-22, Jacob 5-7

If I wanted to encourage thought and try to understand devout believers better, I might ask:

Why won't they tell us whether they've seen Christ, or not?

Click here to see the Things to consider for this lesson.

Enjoy!
A-Bom

Reuben

Re: If I could ask them one question . . . Come Follow Me, Lesson 12

Post by Reuben » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:57 pm

The latest unequivocal statement by an apostle saying he's seen Jesus that I've been able to find is one by George Q. Cannon in 1896 or 1898 (if I remember right).

But the heavens aren't closed. The visions and blessings of old are returning. Hosanna, hosanna, hosanna to God and the Lamb.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

annotatedbom

Post by annotatedbom » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:45 pm

Reuben wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:57 pm
The latest unequivocal statement by an apostle saying he's seen Jesus that I've been able to find is one by George Q. Cannon in 1896 or 1898 (if I remember right).

But the heavens aren't closed. The visions and blessings of old are returning. Hosanna, hosanna, hosanna to God and the Lamb.
Well over 100 years! The crazy contradictions between the Church’s teachings and science, history, and the Church’s teaching are amazing when you open your eyes to them. this is one of those for me. “The Church/doctrine/pattern of the Lord never changes” until it does, of course.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:48 pm

Everybody knows the answer to this one. It's too sacred to talk about!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

annotatedbom

Post by annotatedbom » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:06 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:48 pm
Everybody knows the answer to this one. It's too sacred to talk about!
Exactly what Packard, Oaks, and other (I’m sure) have explained, but then there’s this other stuff from la Iglesia that seems to contradict them, go figure.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:19 am

Oaks says, "a remark made in a sacred and a private setting can be said abroad in violation of the Savior’s commandment not to cast our pearls before swine.”

Jesus is too good for this basket of deplorables. This kind of language really gets my temperature up. This is supposed to be a church of signs and miracles, but the true test of faith is to NOT expect those things. This is why movements like the Snufferites are so threatening. They are happy to claim that they really do experience visions and visitations. Meanwhile, out leaders tell us not to even believe our own revelation unless it agrees with the claims of men who ask if you have the faith to not be healed.

And yet, I'm getting emails from local leaders marveling at the amazing prophetic power of a man whose greatest miracle was to tell people to crack a book at home instead of being bored for 3 hours in meetings.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:53 am

This whole idea of "seeing Christ" before the 2nd Coming is just totally false doctrine. As far as I'm concerned no one since the Apostle Paul has seen and spoken with Christ. Stephen only saw a vision of Heaven. And that's it.

We've actually been warned against people like Joseph Smith and his cronies.

Look here:

Matt. 24:26-28

26Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the (Utah) desert (or the sacred grove); go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers (of the LDS temple); believe it not. 27For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. 28For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together.

My comments added parenthetically.

The Biblical scriptures make the point that there will be bunches of these phony prophets claiming to see Christ before the 2nd Coming. Just the fact that they're claiming to have exclusive and secret access to the Savior should be a huge red flag that you're dealing with an imposter or imposters.

They (LDS leadership) are the classic example of the blind leading the blind. To paraphrase Paul, I'm surprised at how quickly and easily Mormons are led astray.

And yet before I learned to actually use my own God given brain......I was one of them. :|

Ironic, no?
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:38 pm

It's ironic that Mormonism was established on a prophecy of a "place of refuge" that would be "on the borders of the Lamanites." Back then it meant Missouri. I used to wonder why Mormons never thought that Matt. 24:26-28 could apply to Joseph Smith?
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.