Alex Boye's "American Prophet" (An Urban Musical)

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Corsair

Alex Boye's "American Prophet" (An Urban Musical)

Post by Corsair » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:15 am

Alex Boye's American Prophet

Alex Boye appears to be setting up a stage musical of the life of Joseph Smith and it's apparently inspired by the "Hamilton" musical. This is only seven minutes and it is largely "correlation safe". This is really just the teaser trailer for what Brother Boye is trying to do. Donations and volunteers are very politely solicited at the end. I think Mark E. Peterson would have an aneurysm, but Russell Nelson will probably approve. It's kind of catchy in it's own hagiographic way.

Hagoth

Re: Alex Boye's "American Prophet" (An Urban Musical)

Post by Hagoth » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:44 pm

Joseph must have really been a prophet if he knew about NASCAR.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:48 pm

It would be fun to see this made into a full-blown stage production. I was envisioning that after the song between Joseph and Emma, he married all the ladies in the string section. A Mormon Hamilton!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkVeKb2igrg
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Yobispo

Post by Yobispo » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:48 pm

Minute 1:36 to 1:43, the guy helping people out of the wagon/cage. That looks like Rod Meldrum. That would actually make sense to me, he's a hustler with just enough delusion to think that this would be a good investment. I didn't see his name inthe credits, but I'll bet my last senum its him.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:19 am

When I first read the title of this thread I thought it was something funny that our beloved Penguin had made up.
Then I saw Corsair had started the thread and was like "oh no! this is for real" OMGs too funny. :lol:
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

misterfake371

Post by misterfake371 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:20 pm

Holy Cow. The Church is cool now. I wanna be cool too so I guess I should be Mormon again. LOL JK.

The 3 witnesses in the new musical rap: "we be the gentleman scholars, intellectual ballers" LOL! Oh man. This is craziness. But I guess to believers, this play is awesome.
Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep His commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. Ecclesiastes 12:13

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:33 pm

MoPag wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:19 am
When I first read the title of this thread I thought it was something funny that our beloved Penguin had made up.
You mean like FAIR: The Musical, with delightful musical numbers such as the one below:

One Cumorah
Two Cumorah
Three Cumorah
Four, come on gang
What are we waiting for?

Let's pretend like we did last summer
Let's pretend for the golden plates
We'll pretend of marauding Lamanites
Shooting arrows at our golden gates.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha