Earthquake in SLC

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
moksha

Earthquake in SLC

Post by moksha » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:26 am

5.7 magnitude earthquake with aftershocks. Rather a long duration.

Power outages in a number of areas.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

deacon blues

Re: Earthquake in SLC

Post by deacon blues » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:54 am

Yeah, I felt it. It's the first tremor I've ever experienced. I slept through the 1959 earthquake on the Idaho/Montana border. I was only three at the time.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:01 am

64,000 or more without power. The number keeps getting adjusted upward.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:36 am

The Angel Moroni's trumpet fell off. This will be the lead story tonight on KSL and at the Deseret News.
-- Moksha

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:43 am

https://www.deseret.com/faith/2020/3/18 ... quake-utah

Sometimes I fail to recognize my prophetic abilities. Not this time!
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:08 am

Moroni's trumpet has fallen has fallen:
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:23 am

I'm sure church members will read some kind of prophetic portent into this. If anything, it seems like God is saying "Don't listen to these people, they don't speak for me!"

ETA: alternative TBM interpretation: "I've warned you people and I've warned you people and I'm done warning you people!"
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:17 am

moksha wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:36 am
The Angel Moroni's trumpet fell off. This will be the lead story tonight on KSL and at the Deseret News.
I thought you were joking! But you weren't.

What about that story where they put in the elevator shafts because Truman Angel knew, by revelation, that elevators would be used, but "had not been invented yet."?

You would think that someone would have the prophetic power to at least understand the need to weld that trumpet on Moroni's face a little better...ya know?

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:07 pm

Feel free to remove this post if it offends anyone, but when they fix Moroni, they should make it historically and literally accurate:
AngelMoroni.jpeg
AngelMoroni.jpeg (62.03 KiB) Viewed 6841 times
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:19 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:07 pm
Feel free to remove this post if it offends anyone, but when they fix Moroni, they should make it historically and literally accurate:

AngelMoroni.jpeg
"Tootin'" his horn!
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:19 pm

moksha wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:36 am
Moroni must have been living in sin.
~2bizE

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:38 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:23 am
I'm sure church members will read some kind of prophetic portent into this. If anything, it seems like God is saying "Don't listen to these people, they don't speak for me!"
I'd go along with this.

Maybe God is actually saying "Stop....!! What you're declaring, heralding, announcing, promoting is NOT my Gospel. Here's a sign. I'm taking away your stupid horn."
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:33 am

Rob4Hope wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:17 am
What about that story where they put in the elevator shafts because Truman Angel knew, by revelation, that elevators would be used, but "had not been invented yet."?
Turns out the architect had been studying in Europe where elevators were already the talk of the town.

Random

Post by Random » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:00 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:23 am

ETA: alternative TBM interpretation: "I've warned you people and I've warned you people and I'm done warning you people!"
I'm sure, if it's any kind of message from God, it is, "You don't speak for me. You are not my voice to the world."
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK