Conference What Will The Prophet Say

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
1smartdodog

Re: Conference What Will The Prophet Say

Post by 1smartdodog » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:09 am

How about something like:

Stay calm we will get through this together. Do what you can to look after your neighbor.

Not exactly prophesy but given the frantic rhetoric on TV i would go for some less than dire comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:36 am

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:27 pm
Mormon 8 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:38 pm
Wonder how the 'church' is doing with its stock portfolio since the market is down 35%?
Internally they're talking about what a bad business decision it would be to dip into this money for charitable use in a depressed market, even though they legally claim it as a charity. Better wait until hard times have passed so the membership will have a chance to donate more money, you know, build it up for some other undefined future rainy day, Maybe when Jesus comes. Or maybe they're just waiting for just the right thing to come along that looks like charity but will actually fulfill the needs of the larger charity of filling the coffers of the church.
I've been thinking that the church better be helping people being layed off and out of work. If they don't what a travesty. All this about paying your tithing and you will always be taken care of crap. If we don't start hearing people being helped by the church in these times and if this conference they start asking for more money, I don't even know what to say. If people don't see through that, they never will. Thanks Hagoth and Mormon 8 for a little bit of reality.

Apologeticsislying

Post by Apologeticsislying » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:00 am

Fletch makes an excellent point. However, decades ago I heard the reason so many were joining in the "Lamanite" countries of Central and South America was because they were hoping for church financial help. When it didn't come, they walked away. A friend of mine said the retension rate was like 4% only after 2 months. So yeah the numbers looked terrific, the reality was there was only one or two new faces in their wards after 3 months or so.
So, the church does not like to help out financially because then everyone would want a piece of the pie. Ironic isn't it? hundreds of billions of bucks and nowhere to spend it.....LOL!
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:25 am

Fletch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:36 am
All this about paying your tithing and you will always be taken care of crap.
But it's the Lord that's supposed to bless you, not the church. If you pay a full tithe and don't reap monetary rewards you must look for somewhere else in your life where you're screwing up and making yourself unworthy of blessings. Ad infinitum.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Exiled

Post by Exiled » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:59 am

Apologeticsislying wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:00 am
Fletch makes an excellent point. However, decades ago I heard the reason so many were joining in the "Lamanite" countries of Central and South America was because they were hoping for church financial help. When it didn't come, they walked away. A friend of mine said the retension rate was like 4% only after 2 months. So yeah the numbers looked terrific, the reality was there was only one or two new faces in their wards after 3 months or so.
So, the church does not like to help out financially because then everyone would want a piece of the pie. Ironic isn't it? hundreds of billions of bucks and nowhere to spend it.....LOL!
It will probably do some token charity while preaching rugged self-reliance. Meanwhile it will stand in line for its bailout. https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/confi ... e-disaster Sadly, I don't think the church has attained the "too big to fail" status yet. Perhaps when it reaches its $1 Trillion in assets goal?

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:49 pm

CaronaImage

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:01 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:08 pm
I imagine we will see a large smile and hear a version of “I told you to take your vitamins!”
Baarrrfff!!! He's totally going to say that. But at least we won't have to hear the audience laugh at it. Tender Mercies. :roll:
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Apologeticsislying

Post by Apologeticsislying » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:16 am

MoPag wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:01 pm
Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:08 pm
I imagine we will see a large smile and hear a version of “I told you to take your vitamins!”
Baarrrfff!!! He's totally going to say that. But at least we won't have to hear the audience laugh at it. Tender Mercies. :roll:
They might though, because he might forget there is a laugh track playing......
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-