Mormon Discussions Message Board Unavailable?!

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

Re: Mormon Discussions Message Board Unavailable?!

Post by Hagoth » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:29 am

Reuben wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:28 am
Hagoth wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:38 pm
I had a similar experience. It was a bunch of Evangelical weightlifters doing a fundraiser called Power-lifting for Jesus.
I would watch the hell out of that.
It was hilarious. They talked about how they didn't need drugs and steroids because they were "hopped up on the Holy Ghost," and then they proved it by breaking out of chains, smashing boards with their heads, tearing phone books in half... all by the power of the Holy Ghost. The whole time there was an "operators are standing by" banner running across the bottom with a phone number to call and donate.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Apologeticsislying

Post by Apologeticsislying » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:03 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:29 am
Reuben wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:28 am
Hagoth wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:38 pm
I had a similar experience. It was a bunch of Evangelical weightlifters doing a fundraiser called Power-lifting for Jesus.
I would watch the hell out of that.
It was hilarious. They talked about how they didn't need drugs and steroids because they were "hopped up on the Holy Ghost," and then they proved it by breaking out of chains, smashing boards with their heads, tearing phone books in half... all by the power of the Holy Ghost. The whole time there was an "operators are standing by" banner running across the bottom with a phone number to call and donate.
Oh my flipping gosh! LOL!
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:24 am

Seems some problems for the board have been fixed except for being functional.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:15 pm

There is a really good (meaning dumb) topic that reflects where the church is headed. It reminds me of the Lord of the Rings...where the ring was lost and over centuries it changes from first account, to myth and fable.
The boy Joseph as being a similitude of Christ is where these fables start.
Currently, Joseph is Just below christ. Soon, he will be so little under Christ that they are practically the same. Then Joseph will become equal to Christ. Then Joseph will be turned into God’s sons Joseph and Christ...you see where they myth is headed...at some point people will be saying Merry Smithmas.
https://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/72 ... of-christ/
~2bizE

Smokey

Post by Smokey » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:48 am

Hello Friends & Apostates! Hope you all are well and healthy.

Smokey, here. Yes, I am taking credit for breaking the Dr. Shades message board. It needed to be done. It had nothing to do with lame anti-Mormon arguments and everything to do with him targeting Christian kids off-site for harassment.

Anyways, I’m here to answer any questions.

Yours truly,

J. T. Smokey

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:57 am

Smokey wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:48 am
Smokey, here. Yes, I am taking credit for breaking the Dr. Shades message board. It needed to be done. It had nothing to do with lame anti-Mormon arguments and everything to do with him targeting Christian kids off-site for harassment.
There must be a drama narrative leading up to this. Has Mormon Discussions had a history of off-site harassment?

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:25 pm

Corsair wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:57 am
Smokey wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:48 am
There must be a drama narrative leading up to this. Has Mormon Discussions had a history of off-site harassment?
There’s always been an on-site harassment of MG and Dr. Peterson.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Smokey

Post by Smokey » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:30 pm

I think the history of off-site harassment coming from that board is pretty extensive. I did a deep dive but still not aware of ALL the dirty details. MormonDiscussions got my attention via a Twitch stream called Mormon Talk back in the fall of 2019. It was pretty disturbing to see the site administrator and some of the others posting hyper sexual comments to young people.

The show hosts, some young Christian kids who never visited Mormon Discussions or provoked Jason in any way, ended up pleading with callers and viewers to keep the comments appropriate, which only seemed to encourage them further. It was very disgusting.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:04 pm

So was it someone from Mormon discussions making these comments to kids on "Mormon Talk"? I'm not sure I'm following here.

Is Mormon Talk something available online for anyone to participate or is "Twitch" some sort of closed chat room type of set up?
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Smokey

Post by Smokey » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:20 pm

It was a ritual over there, with Dr Shades leading the charge and bumping the thread every time the show was on.

The show is/was on a video game streaming platform primarily used by kids and young people, making it even more disturbing.

His username on Twitch was DrShades1.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:29 pm

Palerider wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:04 pm
So was it someone from Mormon discussions making these comments to kids on "Mormon Talk"? I'm not sure I'm following here.

Is Mormon Talk something available online for anyone to participate or is "Twitch" some sort of closed chat room type of set up?
If anything, Shades was promoting the show. They set it up to call in while live on Twitch.
The show is clearly a bunch of anti Mormons pretending to be naive Mormons.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:29 pm

Smokey wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:20 pm
It was a ritual over there, with Dr Shades leading the charge and bumping the thread every time the show was on.

The show is/was on a video game streaming platform primarily used by kids and young people, making it even more disturbing.

His username on Twitch was DrShades1.
I'm sorry. I'm an old guy and many times this stuff gets away from me.

So was DrShades1 actually "Jason" on Mormon Discussions? Not sure I get the connection.

I rarely get over to Mormon Discussions anymore so I wouldn't know who Jason is.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

George Washington

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:32 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:29 pm
Palerider wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:04 pm

If anything, Shades was promoting the show. They set it up to call in while live on Twitch.
So where is the Mormon Discussions connection? Why shut them down?

George Washington

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:41 pm

I think I confused Mormon Dialogue with Mormon Discussions. I thought it was Mormon Dialogue that had been shut down. Sorry....

:roll:

George Washington

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:59 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
I watched one episode and I came to the same conclusion. Dr. Shades called in and they had a very friendly discussion and he asked them to verify that he hadn't done anything inappropriate. There were other callers who seemed to be non-Mormon trolls intentionally messing with them. I didn't realize that it was a site that a lot of kids frequent but if anyone was being shady it was the guys who chose to post a phony "faithful" call-in show.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Smokey

Post by Smokey » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:29 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
No, I think they are just Utah County Mormons on the naive side. They are young. They are not versed in all the anti-Mormon propaganda and talking points. The legit callers are clearly not anti-Mormons. There’s a clip I found of a young girl on the verge of tears because all the prank calls and sexual content is ruining a show that she said strengthenS her faith. It’s pretty heartbreaking to listen to. Maybe I’ll go find it.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:30 pm

“Hagoth” wrote:
Red Ryder wrote: The show is clearly a bunch of anti Mormons pretending to be naive Mormons.
I watched one episode and I came to the same conclusion. Dr. Shades called in and they had a very friendly discussion and he asked them to verify that he hadn't done anything inappropriate. There were other callers who seemed to be non-Mormon trolls intentionally messing with them. I didn't realize that it was a site that a lot of kids frequent but if anyone was being shady it was the guys who chose to post a phony "faithful" call-in show.
I don’t think their show was frequented by kids, but rather the Twitch platform itself is used by video game streamers.

Either way, it’s another brick in the Mormon/exmormon wall of drama.

Stay tuned kids, for another episode of “who gives a sh!t”.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:36 pm

Smokey wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:29 pm
Red Ryder wrote:
No, I think they are just Utah County Mormons on the naive side. They are young. They are not versed in all the anti-Mormon propaganda and talking points. The legit callers are clearly not anti-Mormons. There’s a clip I found of a young girl on the verge of tears because all the prank calls and sexual content is ruining a show that she said strengthenS her faith. It’s pretty heartbreaking to listen to. Maybe I’ll go find it.
I confess I didn’t watch or listen and only read through half of the Shades thread before I lost interest in caring.

Smokey

Post by Smokey » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:10 pm

Here’s that clip of a caller talking about Dr Shades and their disgusting sexual comments and trolling:

https://m.twitch.tv/mormontalk/clip/Luc ... TwitchRaid

Sad, old men exposing young Christian kids to filth. Yes, I do give a sh*t about that.

At least the Internet is slightly a better place for it. Since MormonDiscussions no longer works on mobile devices, the chances of a person under the age of 50 using his site is close to absolute 0.

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:16 pm

Smokey was quite well known on Mormon Discussions for stirring things up with a mix of pro-white nationalism and antisemitism. Most recently he has been posting on Sic et Non as a compadre of Pahoran/Kiwi.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha