Radio Free Mormon Podcast

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
dbmormon

Re: Radio Free Mormon Podcast

Post by dbmormon » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:26 pm

moksha wrote:Future LDS history books might profit by using the Exacto Knife and Roll of Scotch Tape as everlasting symbols of Church history.
That was a great line
http://www.mormondiscussionpodcast.org/ - Strengthening Feeble Knees and Lifting Hands that Hang Down

dbmormon

Post by dbmormon » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:29 pm

Just This Guy wrote:I am trying to find this. When I look up Radio Free Mormon on itunes, it comes up with Mormon History Guy. Is that correct?
look up mormon discussion radio free
http://www.mormondiscussionpodcast.org/ - Strengthening Feeble Knees and Lifting Hands that Hang Down

20/20hind

Post by 20/20hind » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:27 pm

Great podcast, it had detailed info on the 1832 first vision debacle. It's only a small reason why I left. But any organization that intentionally conceals, hides or obfuscates information cannot be trusted.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:31 pm

I've been saving the podcast for my post-winter-break commute but I broke down and listened to the first episode yesterday. I liked it so much I wanted to bump this thread again to help promote it. A monument to critical thinking and cutting through the fog of institutional intimidation.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

consiglieri

Post by consiglieri » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:12 am

Thanks, Hagoth!

Episode 5 went up Sunday morning.

It is called, "Make Way for Milk Strippings."

Three guesses what it's about!

GoodBoy

Post by GoodBoy » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:19 pm

I just wanted to chime in to say, I learned about these episodes here on NOM, already had a lot of respect for consiglieri so I listened to all of them and found them fantastic! Some of them are absolutely devastating to the church. I found the one about Elder Packer's CES talk about hiding the truth especially devastating to the church's position on hiding the truth.

Bill Reel also has my highest respect for the work he does, and kudos to him for allowing you to post with his excellent podcast.

Thanks to you both for your contributions to mankind.
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:29 pm

I've listened to all but the new milk strippings episode now and still very impressed. The milk strippings story is one of my pet peeves, so I'm really looking forward to that one.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:12 pm

Listened today. Favorited for a day when DW falls down the rabbit hole.

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:57 am

Perhaps the reason the milk strippings story took so long to develop is due to the slow evolutionary process of Mormon apologetics. With today's advancements, such a story could be created during a single FAIRMormon brainstorming session.

Regarding the comments Brigham Young offered up to denigrate Thomas Marsh in the church meeting when Marsh asked to rejoin the Church, it reminded me of Donald Trump fantasizing about how all the young girls greatly desired The Donald. "It's huge I tell you, womanizing keeps you young!"
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:05 am

moksha wrote:Perhaps the reason the milk strippings story took so long to develop is due to the slow evolutionary process of Mormon apologetics. With today's advancements, such a story could be created during a single FAIRMormon brainstorming session.

Regarding the comments Brigham Young offered up to denigrate Thomas Marsh in the church meeting when Marsh asked to rejoin the Church, it reminded me of Donald Trump fantasizing about how all the young girls greatly desired The Donald. "It's huge I tell you, womanizing keeps you young!"
I looked for some apologetics about the things that Young said about Marsh upon Marsh's return to the church. The entirety of the response is:
Some unnamed individual with the FairMormon organization wrote:
  • The critics fail to tell their readers that Brigham is speaking about the return of Thomas B. Marsh to the church—he is comparing the consequences of remaining in the Church (as Brigham and Heber have done) versus a long apostasy (as in the case of Marsh). It is a misrepresentation to describe this as Brigham "boasting."
  • As is often the case, the Tanners apply the worst possible interpretation to what are likely innocent remarks intended to teach a spiritual principle in a humorous or arresting manner.
Neither "innocent" nor "humorous" are the adjectives I would have used to describe Brigham Young's quote. This sounds far more like a junior high student bragging about his excellent Pokemon gathering skills rather than a prophet trying to emphasize staying faithful to the church. Plus, this clearly makes your number of wives into the score card of your faithfulness. The best thing I can say about Brigham Young is that he was the tyrant the early church needed to not fall apart.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:52 pm

What no one seems to ever mention is that Marsh had suffered a stroke and was struggling to recover his health at the time. What he didn't need was Brigham ridiculing a sick man who really could have used a little bit of Christian charity. What man when his child ask for bread would give him a stone, and all that. You also never hear that Marsh actually had no difficulty finding a wife in Utah. Thomas Marsh was one of Joseph Smith's most loyal defenders but his pacifism in Missouri but him in Brigham's sites, especially since he was the only man who stood between Brigham and the drivers seat of the quorum.

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:58 pm

Hagoth wrote:What no one seems to ever mention is that Marsh had suffered a stroke and was struggling to recover his health at the time. What he didn't need was Brigham ridiculing a sick man who really could have used a little bit of Christian charity.
I suppose those who are aware of this information might throw up in their mouth a bit when they hear the milk strippings story trotted out next time, but it is important to remember the flawed nature of all of us - religious leaders included - the next time we are told that our prime duty is to obey these leaders.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha