Mormon God Has Issues

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Apologeticsislying

Mormon God Has Issues

Post by Apologeticsislying » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:38 am

Saw this on Reddit. Mormon God can help you find your car keys, but can't keep his temples virus free. I can't help but wonder just how many people really do think things through like this......
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-

Exiled

Re: Mormon God Has Issues

Post by Exiled » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:39 am

Apologeticsislying wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:38 am
Saw this on Reddit. Mormon God can help you find your car keys, but can't keep his temples virus free. I can't help but wonder just how many people really do think things through like this......
It's always based on faithfulness or God's mysterious will ... hint, hint ... it's your fault, member.

Gatorbait

Post by Gatorbait » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:11 pm

Not very many people know this, but God cares a lot about car keys, lost necklaces (if they were from young women's), and glasses. Did not know about the last one until I heard it first hand from a guy at church, who, through sobs, told us about the miracle of the glasses and how they prayed, found the glasses and his son, who desperately needed the glasses to see, could hike on down the mountain to the safety of the car. Thankfully they still had the keys for the car. No prayer needed for that.

I was lucky enough to hear of two miraculous stories about finding car keys and a necklace in one church service. The glasses story was from long ago, but it resonated with me enough so that my mind was quickened by the...er...whatever, so I could remember the story. Sincerely.

My question to the group- Does God hide car keys, necklaces and glasses so that we will exercise our faith and pray to find them? I'm not sure.
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell

Apologeticsislying

Post by Apologeticsislying » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:03 pm

Gatorbait wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:11 pm
Not very many people know this, but God cares a lot about car keys, lost necklaces (if they were from young women's), and glasses. Did not know about the last one until I heard it first hand from a guy at church, who, through sobs, told us about the miracle of the glasses and how they prayed, found the glasses and his son, who desperately needed the glasses to see, could hike on down the mountain to the safety of the car. Thankfully they still had the keys for the car. No prayer needed for that.

I was lucky enough to hear of two miraculous stories about finding car keys and a necklace in one church service. The glasses story was from long ago, but it resonated with me enough so that my mind was quickened by the...er...whatever, so I could remember the story. Sincerely.

My question to the group- Does God hide car keys, necklaces and glasses so that we will exercise our faith and pray to find them? I'm not sure.
Oh sure, God helps s exercise our faith in that way. That's the standard go to line for chapel Mormons. Internet Mormons would probably take a more sophisticated approach which to chapel Mormons would be apostate thinking. The two very different kinds of Mormons will seldom see eye to eye on much of anything.
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-

Exiled

Post by Exiled » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:23 am

Gatorbait wrote:
Yes he does, just like Joseph Smith did.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:39 pm

Exiled wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:23 am
Gatorbait wrote:
Right. Just like how Joseph Smith exercised his faith and located the lost 116 pages of the Book of Mormon.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:33 pm

From the NOM Book of Prayers, Prayer number 37:

"God, you've got issues!"
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Exiled

Post by Exiled » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:34 pm

Corsair wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:39 pm
Exiled wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:23 am
Gatorbait wrote:
Right. Just like how Joseph Smith exercised his faith and located the lost 116 pages of the Book of Mormon.
Well, his powers were clouded by the evil one regarding the 116 pages. I think he might have been too obsessed with polygamy at that point. Males supposedly thing about it every 17 seconds and ole Joe probably though about it every 5. Also, Martin Harris said ole Joe found a needle in a proverbial haystack and Josiah Stoal claimed Joe could describe Stoal's farm with the stone while some 100 miles away.