Mormon Leaders Have the Entirely Wrong Emphasis

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Apologeticsislying

Mormon Leaders Have the Entirely Wrong Emphasis

Post by Apologeticsislying » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:02 am

My Stake President has declared that President Nelson has said that if you have not been preparing for General Conference by studying Joseph Smith’s account(s) of the first vision then you will not notice anything special about this General Conference.
This was just posted. In a world such as ours, in actual true trouble and sincerely NEEDING help, the Mormons are focused on this?! Corona Virus merits nothing? My Gawd just how out of touch do you have to be to not see the problem here?
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-

dareka

Re: Mormon Leaders Have the Entirely Wrong Emphasis

Post by dareka » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:53 am

I gives them an out when members realize this conference is nothing special. Blame the members for it. Afterward, of course, many members will tearfully testify how special the conference was.

You're right - in the situation we're in it's absurd to tell members they need to focus on Joseph Smith's vision(s).

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:04 am

We eagerly await the guidance provided next weekend. I fear that it's gong to be "trust in the Lord in these trying times just like Joseph Smith did! There will probably one talk that effectively addresses the challenges of the day, but I doubt it will be from the First Presidency.

Emower

Post by Emower » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:07 am

With such a dedicated and narrow focused membership how could you not use this kind of tactic to save face and distract from your utter inability to be a prophet, seer, and revalator.

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:53 am

Emower wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:07 am
With such a dedicated and narrow focused membership how could you not use this kind of tactic to save face and distract from your utter inability to be a prophet, seer, and revalator.
Yup. Same as how they started using “do you have faith enough Not to be healed.” Such a con.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:17 am

dareka wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:53 am
I gives them an out when members realize this conference is nothing special. Blame the members for it.
I was thinking the exact same thing.

"You didn't see all the 'specialness' in this great, great conference? Well you weren't spiritually prepared then, were you......"

These are the same guys who wanted to take you Snipe hunting when you were a kid....
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Exiled

Post by Exiled » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:34 am

dareka wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:53 am
I gives them an out when members realize this conference is nothing special. Blame the members for it. Afterward, of course, many members will tearfully testify how special the conference was.

You're right - in the situation we're in it's absurd to tell members they need to focus on Joseph Smith's vision(s).
There will be a certain "specialness" attached to those who claim the mundane conference was somehow one of the most spiritual conferences in memory. "I certainly felt it, didn't you?" members will say. "There must be something amiss with you if you didn't feel it like I did," will be understood. "It was truly amazing." G.A.'s will perhaps then talk about it in hushed tones, further inducing the faithful to see something that wasn't there, just like testimony meeting is used to induce an emotional response in the group.

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:26 pm

Well they don't exactly have time to create new talks. They're already written, correlated and translated to 100 languages by now. GC talks are a huge production.

The most they'll have time to do is insert all the necessary "grateful for a living prophet who can make sure we're prepared in the midst of these turbulent times" BS, where they imply that Nelson had advance warning but don't actually say it.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:00 am

...you will not notice anything special about this General Conference.
In other words, there REALLY won't be anything special about General Conference. This is the real inoculation and it seems to be working surprisingly well. If we tell you to see miracles in the most mundane things, you will see miracles. By the way, how do you like my new clothes?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Apologeticsislying

Post by Apologeticsislying » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:56 am

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:00 am
...you will not notice anything special about this General Conference.
In other words, there REALLY won't be anything special about General Conference. This is the real inoculation and it seems to be working surprisingly well. If we tell you to see miracles in the most mundane things, you will see miracles. By the way, how do you like my new clothes?
Well thats certainly a lovely neck tie.....Walmart or J C Penneys?
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-