GenCon predictions? Is the church preparing to ordain women?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
jfro18

GenCon predictions? Is the church preparing to ordain women?

Post by jfro18 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:52 pm

I haven't seen a GenCon prediction thread, and interestingly enough in past conferences a lot of the "news" is out by now so it might be a lot of nothing tomorrow...

But there's a thread on Mormon reddit about the email to prepare for GenCon asking women to read the D&C about priesthood, which is leading some to think maybe they're going to give women the priesthood on some level.

Anyone have any predictions? I really don't... unless they remove garment or tithing requirements it doesn't matter anymore, and I think on some level Nelson has plowed through a lot of what he wanted to do knowing his time left has to be relatively short. But I'm sure they'll make some structural changes to keep members believing that while they're missing out on the big stuff like pandemics they are getting word from God on what to call the youth classes. :lol:

Apologeticsislying

Re: GenCon predictions? Is the church preparing to ordain women?

Post by Apologeticsislying » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:58 pm

Yes, I have a prediction.........Jesus will come before the LDS church gives women the priesthood.
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:48 pm

Apologeticsislying wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:58 pm
Yes, I have a prediction.........Jesus will come before the LDS church gives women the priesthood.
Hmm. Let me think aboot this for a few minutes...

Never-mind, I don't need to think about it. I'm betting the entire farm on A.I.L.'s prediction.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:08 pm

Sisters, please read all about the priesthood so you will be properly put in your place and not get any temptation to overstep your bounds.

I think it would be amazing if women got the priesthood this conference, not only because it's the right thing to do but because so many men will be so pissed off on the inside but forced to look so happy about it on the outside.

But it won't happen. Bednar, for one, would set himself on fire and jump off the top floor of the COB before he would see that happen.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:58 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:08 pm
But it won't happen. Bednar, for one, would set himself on fire and jump off the top floor of the COB before he would see that happen.
But... Just think how many folks would LOVE to see Flaming Bednar, falling from the 26th floor...
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:13 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:58 pm
But... Just think how many folks would LOVE to see Flaming Bednar, falling from the 26th floor...
But...do they have the faith to NOT see it?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

StarbucksMom

Post by StarbucksMom » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:43 pm

Maybe they will give women some small responsibilities, like getting to hold their baby while it’a blessed (or did they already do that?) or allowing them to wear white button down shirts to church on Sundays. Honestly, they know this is a real hot button topic right now. I don’t think even Russ is stupid enough to tell women to read their scriptures just so they can worship men more. I think they will do something small. Maybe girls can help hand out the sacrament????? Or something similar.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:01 am

Based on that email and this quote from their GenCon release, I would not be surprised if girls are allowed to pass out the sacrament:

"For this conference only, the evening session on Saturday, April 4, at 6:00 p.m. will be for all members and friends of the Church, especially Young Women and Relief Society and all holders of the Aaronic Priesthood and the Melchizedek Priesthood."

The problem is that *if* you give women even that part of the priesthood, it's only a matter of time before they have to give a little more and a little more... and I'm sure the old dudes at the top are aware of that.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:18 am

He just has to do the tiniest sliver of policy change to satisfy everyone that they live in an amazing time when God s[eals through his prophet (and to distract everyone from the fact that he was totally blindsided by the disaster of the century)

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:34 am

jfro18 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:01 am
"For this conference only, the evening session on Saturday, April 4, at 6:00 p.m. will be for all members and friends of the Church, especially Young Women and Relief Society and all holders of the Aaronic Priesthood and the Melchizedek Priesthood."
Whoa, hang on a minute. We're talking about the same priesthood session that just a few years ago had to be protected from the prying eyes and ears of women by blocking them with a garbage truck? Which prophetess do we thank for this, Kate Kelly or Wendy Nelson? Second question: will there also be a special session where we will get to see a cage fight between her and Bednar?

Apologeticsislying

Post by Apologeticsislying » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:38 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sisters, please read all about the priesthood so you will be properly put in your place and not get any temptation to overstep your bounds.

I think it would be amazing if women got the priesthood this conference, not only because it's the right thing to do but because so many men will be so pissed off on the inside but forced to look so happy about it on the outside.

Well, that seems like it would be a quite useful thing for the church..... :D
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:44 am

StarbucksMom wrote:Maybe girls can help hand out the sacrament????? Or something similar.
Maybe they will let girls prepare the sacrament. Since women are supposed to spend all their time in the kitchen anyway, this will teach girls to be ready for that when they are married.

Sent from my LG-H740 using Tapatalk

"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:35 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:44 am
Maybe they will let girls prepare the sacrament.
That seems like a very believable possibility. I think the general direction now is to appease women without actually empowering them.

alas

Post by alas » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:57 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:35 am
Just This Guy wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:44 am
Maybe they will let girls prepare the sacrament.
That seems like a very believable possibility. I think the general direction now is to appease women without actually empowering them.
Maybe bake the bread, as service, instead of using stuff from the store. This way, the girls spend the money on ingredients, and the church saves a couple of bucks per ward. The church would like to save that couple of bucks because after all, these things add up.

No, I seriously think this will be a "women are just as loved by God and all those scriptures apply to women too, because the prayer of a righteous woman is just as powerful as a blessing by the priesthood." This is the direction they have been going lately, sort of a "women don't need priesthood because God loves them just as much" coupled with "when women are set apart in a calling they use the priesthood of the man who set them apart." It is sort of a weird combination of women are so righteous they don't need priesthood, combined with women don't need priesthood because they use the priesthood of the men over....oops, who ordain them. They have been saying things like a mother's prayer is just as effective in healing a child as priesthood...when no priesthood is available. So, they are saying faith is just as good as priesthood except it is not. Don't you understand that?

AdmiralHoldo

Post by AdmiralHoldo » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:53 am

wtfluff wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:58 pm
Hagoth wrote:
https://images.app.goo.gl/7RobYpfnk7mBk3X6A

Unendowed

Post by Unendowed » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:55 pm

This is more of a wish than a prediction but I loved it if RMN stood up and said," My dear brothers and sisters, in light of the financial hardships our members face due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Lord has revealed to me that the church has more than enough to sustain its operations. For the period of one year, the church will be suspending tithing donations. We ask that you use these funds to support your families needs. If you have more than enough for your needs we ask you to support your local charities, businesses and communities. Additionally, the church will be donating one billion dollars (there's plenty to spare) to various charities and organizations to help those who have been affected by this pandemic."

A tithing vacation would do wonders for struggling members of the church.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:58 pm

Unendowed wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:55 pm
This would indeed by great, but typically once an organization holds power over you whether it's tithing, taxes, or garments, they know when they give it up even temporarily they run the risk of never getting it back.

I have a very hard time believing they'll do this, although I really think they will try to push their donations and humanitarian efforts in light of the recent stories over Ensign Peak.

Random

Post by Random » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:59 pm

Unendowed wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:55 pm
This is more of a wish than a prediction but I loved it if RMN stood up and said," My dear brothers and sisters, in light of the financial hardships our members face due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Lord has revealed to me that the church has more than enough to sustain its operations. For the period of one year, the church will be suspending tithing donations. We ask that you use these funds to support your families needs. If you have more than enough for your needs we ask you to support your local charities, businesses and communities. Additionally, the church will be donating one billion dollars (there's plenty to spare) to various charities and organizations to help those who have been affected by this pandemic."

That would be great, and what would be even more awesome is if the Church paid all the medical bills for everyone in the United States up to this point. That would really ease a lot of financial suffering.

Also, it really bothers me that they refused to dig wells for a country in Africa when explicitly asked because, 'y'know, we aren't a rich people. :roll: I would put digging wells first, then the medical bills. They could do both and still have a lot of money left over unless the stock market problems cut their stock down to a million or so.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK