Annual Statistical Report* Released

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Obadiah_Dogberry

Annual Statistical Report* Released

Post by Obadiah_Dogberry » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:04 pm

*not audited

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... cal-report

Looks like more of the same. I'm looking forward to what the statisticians sort out over the next few days.

I stole this info (from u/curious_mormon on Reddit):
Item Change
Stake Count +54
Wards & Branches per Stake -.024 (down to 9.002)
Claimed members per stake* -2.64 (down to 4822.26)
Wards and Branches Count** +404
Claimed members per ward & branch* +1.39 (Up to 535.39)
Mission count -8
District count -5
Children of Record (BIC) -7,836
Temple dedications +5
Full time missionaries +1,884
Church-service missionaries -6,630
Last edited by Obadiah_Dogberry on Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AdmiralHoldo

Re: Annual Statistical Report* Released

Post by AdmiralHoldo » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:26 pm

Obadiah_Dogberry wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:04 pm

Stake Count +54
That's double digit stakes being created per week, every week, right?

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:22 pm

That’s boundary shenanigans.

My stake took 6 wards and made 7 last year with no boundary changes. Just took 500 people per ward and made it 400 to create a new ward.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:32 pm

Obadiah_Dogberry wrote:
*not audited

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... cal-report

Looks like more of the same. I'm looking forward to what the statisticians sort out over the next few days.

I stole this info (from u/curious_mormon on Reddit):
Item Change
Stake Count +54
Wards & Branches per Stake -.024 (down to 9.002)
Claimed members per stake* -2.64 (down to 4822.26)
Wards and Branches Count** +404
Claimed members per ward & branch* +1.39 (Up to 535.39)
Mission count -8
District count -5
Children of Record (BIC) -7,836
Temple dedications +5
Full time missionaries +1,884
Church-service missionaries -6,630
Fascinating. I wonder when they will close wards here. We are becoming more aware of people who seem to be out.

Culper Jr.

Post by Culper Jr. » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:38 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:22 pm
That’s boundary shenanigans.

My stake took 6 wards and made 7 last year with no boundary changes. Just took 500 people per ward and made it 400 to create a new ward.
Similar thing here. We have a Stake President that's all about climbing the church leadership ladder. In the past couple of years they shaved off a couple of wards from several surrounding stakes and made a new stake. Then he made a struggling inner-city group and a struggling Spanish group into struggling branches and shaved off members from a few wards to make a new ward. Voila! He is back up to 10 units for the stake without any substantive growth. So on paper, his stake was split and he had it back up to 10 units within 5 years... pretty amazing! I'm sure he'll be an area authority soon.

I think a lot of this is being driven from the bottom up... Local leaders trying to make rank in the church and doing things like this to get noticed. The upper leadership is so desperate for growth they go right along with it.

no1saint

Post by no1saint » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:51 am

Additional wards can be created from almost nothing as they significantly reduce the priesthood requirements, especially things like high priests. This could be further consolidated into one quorum to make it easier to split wards and create stakes without any substantial growth at all.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:28 am

Not even 1/4 of 1% of the world's population are mormon God's special kids? Doesn't seem like the kind of god anyone would have much interest in; certainly not the one you would want as the father of the human race.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:48 am

AdmiralHoldo wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:26 pm
Obadiah_Dogberry wrote:

Stake Count +54
That's double digit stakes being created per week, every week, right?
Either that or exactly one per week if you assigned them weeks.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:53 am

no1saint wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:51 am
Additional wards can be created from almost nothing as they significantly reduce the priesthood requirements, especially things like high priests. This could be further consolidated into one quorum to make it easier to split wards and create stakes without any substantial growth at all.
The next stop will be to go the Wells Fargo route and just start creating vapor wards and stakes on paper with no actual geographic attachment.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:01 am

As usual, I went to Matt Martinich's blog to see what he thought about these statistics, and as usual he did not disappoint:

http://ldschurchgrowth.blogspot.com/202 ... eport.html

Matt may be a TBM, but his analysis of the stats are always intriguing. He notes that the gaps in the convert/children of record stats are because about 91,000 people resigned. Sounds about right, and for him to admit that is pretty significant. Love Matt's blog.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

no1saint

Post by no1saint » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:58 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:53 am
no1saint wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:51 am
The next stop will be to go the Wells Fargo route and just start creating vapor wards and stakes on paper with no actual geographic attachment.
Interesting to see how far they will go. The incesant temple construction is bordering on hysteria almost matching the rebranding. Thr costs are prohibitively high plus the maintenance would be obscene. All smoke and mirrors. The Church is growing. No unhallowed hand...bla bla bla.

This is what an ageing, shrinking and dying religion looks like.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:23 am

no1saint wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:58 am
Interesting to see how far they will go. The incesant temple construction is bordering on hysteria almost matching the rebranding. Thr costs are prohibitively high plus the maintenance would be obscene. All smoke and mirrors. The Church is growing. No unhallowed hand...bla bla bla.
Anyone know if there's a site that tracks temple announcements against the ones actually built/groundbroken/etc?

Would love to see how many have been announced in recent years that are just distant memories, but were received at the time as proof the church was rolling forward.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:59 am

jfro18 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:23 am
no1saint wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:58 am
Anyone know if there's a site that tracks temple announcements against the ones actually built/groundbroken/etc?

Would love to see how many have been announced in recent years that are just distant memories, but were received at the time as proof the church was rolling forward.
https://churchofjesuschristtemples.org/construction/

29 temples announced, yet still in the planning phase, starting with Harare Zimbabwe announced April 2016.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:07 am

wtfluff wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:59 am
29 temples announced, yet still in the planning phase, starting with Harare Zimbabwe announced April 2016.
I kind of like the idea of Nelson announcing lots of temples when he knows he won't have to be around follow through on them. I think he should announce about 100 more, including several on Antarctica and at least one on the Moon or Mars.

When he was talking about the great work Pres. Nelson is doing Christofferson mentioned the amazing number of temples that have been built and announced in Nelson's lifetime. How does Nelson get credit for those? They were also built during Buzz Aldrin's' lifetime so maybe he should get some credit too.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:48 am

Here is the temple list of the LDS church

There are 225 temples listed in total.
  • 162 are in operation
  • 14 are under construction
  • 7 are being renovated
  • 4 are announced with a location
  • 38 are announced with no location available
So, 63 of the 225 are not operating at this time. Well, none of them are open at the moment. I suppose I should go through and find out how many sessions per week each of the "operating" temples actually perform without an appointment. There is a lot more date that can be pulled from this website...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:04 pm

Corsair wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:48 am
[*]38 are announced with no location available[/list]
And THAT is Russell Nelson's legacy. Good luck, next guy. You won't get to bask in the glory of announcing lots of temples because you will be mopping up for RMN.

no1saint

Post by no1saint » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:39 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:04 pm
Corsair wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:48 am
[*]38 are announced with no location available[/list]
And THAT is Russell Nelson's legacy. Good luck, next guy. You won't get to bask in the glory of announcing lots of temples because you will be mopping up for RMN.
To be fair TSM left a huge pipeline of unstarted abd unfinished temples. The wait times between announcement and stages of development is getting shorter than previous years.