So yeh?....what's going on?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Rob4Hope

So yeh?....what's going on?

Post by Rob4Hope » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:04 am

I'm not watching conference. Any big things coming out? Or, as predicted, its a dud?

Reuben

Re: So yeh?....what's going on?

Post by Reuben » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:19 am

Solemn assembly in the Sunday morning session (in about an hour), the potential importance of which seems to have been overshadowed by the Hosanna Shout.

If it's to make the multiple accounts of the FV into scripture or something like it, I'm 100% behind it.

If it's to canonize the Proclamation on the Family, I'm 100% against it.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:54 am

I can't even find much on Google for news coming from the Church.

Is this conference as boring as the others?!!!!

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:00 am

Right about now I need something to entertain me. Even the church is failing at that!

It used to be fun to speculate and revel in the predictions/changes of the church. Now they are just boring.

My GAWD,...how did I ever stand listening to decades or LDS conference!

Random

Post by Random » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:31 am

There are threads on the sessions of conference. You could skim them, but from what I've read, it isn't really much different than other conferences. A new logo. A new proclamation on something or other. A hosanna shout with hankies, but I still don't understand why.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Gatorbait

Post by Gatorbait » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:04 am

Watched about a minute of the first talk by Ballard- Jos. Smith story. Reminded me of the movie Beetlejuice where Beetlejuice says something to the effect of, "I've seen "The Exorcist" about 167 times- and it keeps gettin' funnier every time I see it!"

Except most of us have heard the Jos. Smith story about 167,000 times and even though it doesn't get funnier every time we hear it, it remains numero uno on the most unoriginal Mormon talk subject- and doesn't it seem ridiculous that we've got a world wide epidemic going on and ol' Ballard starts the show with the Jos. Smith story? No, I didn't keep watching or listening to him for crying out loud, but it's the same ol' same ol' and the wheels on the bus go round and round.

I'll admit though that I still like Dieter Uchtdorff and usually go to the church website and listen to his talk, but I couldn't find it. Did he speak?

Missed the hokie- pokie- hankie- panky part. Such as bunch of nonsense. Whoa. Old men waving hankies. God's gotta be impressed with that.
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell

Smokey

Post by Smokey » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:23 am

Reuben wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:19 am

Hate to be the one to break it to you but the Proclamation has been official Church doctrine since 1995.

To the OP, it was one of the greatest General Conferences of all time. You really missed out.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:21 pm

Smokey wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:23 am

Hate to be the one to break it to you but the Proclamation has been official Church doctrine since 1995.
Was that put up for a sustaining vote as being canonized or just kind of quietly considered doctrinal? I don't recall.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:46 pm

Smokey wrote:
Yeah, we got a whole new proclamation. It was so generic it could have just been the preface ripped out of a Sunday school manual.
Smokey wrote:
To the OP, it was one of the greatest General Conferences of all time. You really missed out.
If you rate conferences solely by how much they talk about Joseph Smith and the First Vision and if you are specifically trying to avoid any any sign of prophetic insight or inspiration in times of distress and fear then yeah, definitely the greatest of all time.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Smokey

Post by Smokey » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:10 pm

Palerider wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:21 pm
Smokey wrote:

Was that put up for a sustaining vote as being canonized or just kind of quietly considered doctrinal? I don't recall.
Yeah, a Proclamation to the WORLD, from the PROPHET and his Apostles, published widely across the globe and in every meeting house, was “quietly considered doctrinal.”

Remember that hero who read the Proclamation on BYU Provo campus recently: https://universe.byu.edu/2020/03/04/hon ... oto-story/

Smokey

Post by Smokey » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:15 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:46 pm
Smokey wrote:
Yeah, we got a whole new proclamation. It was so generic it could have just been the preface ripped out of a Sunday school manual.
Smokey wrote:
If you rate conferences solely by how much they talk about Joseph Smith and the First Vision and if you are specifically trying to avoid any any sign of prophetic insight or inspiration in times of distress and fear then yeah, definitely the greatest of all time.
Maybe you should try to be worthy of feeling the Spirit if you want to feel the Spirit ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:24 pm

Smokey wrote:
Hagoth wrote:
Smokey wrote:
Smokey wrote:
Maybe you should try to be worthy of feeling the Spirit if you want to feel the Spirit ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You mean maybe I should attempt to placate my cogitive dissonance and allow my child indoctrination conditioning to tickle my nucleas accumbens. Got it! ImageImage

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:51 pm

Smokey wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:15 pm
Hey, you're right. That never occurred to me during those decades of absolute unquestioning devotion and doing every imaginable thing to be perfect enough for God to make those doubts go away when the hours and hours and hours of faithful study just kept leading me over logic cliffs where I hung by my fingernails pleading with God to not let me fall. Just be worthy. Why didn't I think of that? The sad thing is that every time common sense conflicted with unquestioning credulousness I always blamed myself because I must not have been worthy enough for God to show me any love.

Once you see through those kinds of cheapshot shame tactics they don't work anymore.

If you had said that to me ten years ago I would have been:

But having left the leaky boat-in-a-storm for the sunny beach my reaction to ignorant comments like that feels more like:
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:00 pm

Smokey wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:15 pm
If I was "worthy" enough would the JSP IX papyrus suddenly have the Book of Abraham written on it?

Smokey

Post by Smokey » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:08 pm

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:24 pm
Smokey wrote:
Hagoth wrote:

You mean maybe I should attempt to placate my cogitive dissonance and allow my child indoctrination conditioning to tickle my nucleas accumbens. Got it! ImageImage
Oh, it’s that kind of apostate who tried SO hard to follow the Gospel, but was just too smart to be duped and his intellectual integrity wouldn’t allow him to keep the commandments, even though he REALLY wanted to. If only he could lose a few brain cells and believe again, he’d be following those Commandments and living righteously.

We’re in meme territory now.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:18 pm

Smokey wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:08 pm

Oh, it’s that kind of apostate who tried SO hard to follow the Gospel, but was just too smart to be duped and his intellectual integrity wouldn’t allow him to keep the commandments, even though he REALLY wanted to. If only he could lose a few brain cells and believe again, he’d be following those Commandments and living righteously.

We’re in meme territory now.
Please give me a specific list of which sins you are assigning to me that are making me incapable of feeling the spirit. I have actually had the experience that we call "the spirit" more frequently and profoundly post-faith-crisis than when I was seeking it so desperately as a believer.

You know what is really sad? Its when people write off the sincere path of someone who really, really tried hard to follow a path and then found that there was a better path for them to be happy.\

ETA: If you want real meme territory it's to discount someone's life to something as inane as "they weren't following the commandments."

w2mz

Post by w2mz » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:35 pm

Smokey wrote:
Reuben wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:19 am

I’ll bite. What made it one of the greatest conferences of all time, and, name one conference in recent past that wasn’t so great.
The church has engineered your eternal family into a commodity that can be purchased with an annual fee. The fact that full tithing payment is a requirement for saving ordinances is the biggest red flag imaginable. Hagoth

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:09 pm

w2mz wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:35 pm
I’ll bite. What made it one of the greatest conferences of all time, and, name one conference in recent past that wasn’t so great.
Since Smokey didn't know about the proclamation he obviously wasn't listening to conference. Just yanking our chain.

w2mz

Post by w2mz » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:31 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:09 pm
w2mz wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:35 pm
Since Smokey didn't know about the proclamation he obviously wasn't listening to conference. Just yanking our chain.
That Smokey, silly old bear.
The church has engineered your eternal family into a commodity that can be purchased with an annual fee. The fact that full tithing payment is a requirement for saving ordinances is the biggest red flag imaginable. Hagoth

Smokey

Post by Smokey » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:31 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:18 pm

Please give me a specific list of which sins you are assigning to me that are making me incapable of feeling the spirit.
lol wut?
Hagoth wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:18 pm

ETA: If you want real meme territory it's to discount someone's life to something as inane as "they weren't following the commandments."
But you weren’t, were you?