Holland in GC: 'we must do all we can for the poor and poverty-stricken'

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Mormon 8

Holland in GC: 'we must do all we can for the poor and poverty-stricken'

Post by Mormon 8 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:21 pm

As $124 billion sits in an Ensign Peak Peak Advisors account and Neil Andersen tells Zimbabwe's president we are not a rich church and thus aren't able to assist in developing clean water or digging/constructing wells. Simply incredible. There is no shame with these guys at the top nor end to the hypocrisy. Astounding. Sickening.

AdmiralHoldo

Re: Holland in GC: 'we must do all we can for the poor and poverty-stricken'

Post by AdmiralHoldo » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:04 pm

You first.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:29 pm

I wish someone has informed both Elder Rasband and the Zimbabwe President about all the wells dug by the BYU engineering department. That would have made for a less awkward conversation.

For example https://news.byu.edu/news/students-buil ... lage-drill
More info can be found on google.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Apologeticsislying

Post by Apologeticsislying » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:35 pm

moksha wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:29 pm
I wish someone has informed both Elder Rasband and the Zimbabwe President about all the wells dug by the BYU engineering department. That would have made for a less awkward conversation.

For example https://news.byu.edu/news/students-buil ... lage-drill
More info can be found on google.
Yes, but we are assured with Apostolic Authoritah that some truths aren't very useful.....
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:03 am

AdmiralHoldo wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:04 pm
You first.
Exactly. By "we" he didn't mean the church, he meant "you." It would be an affront to God to use his sacred funds to help the poor. Pearls before swine.

I was a bit shocked that they didn't even wave their yellow shirts in this conference. At the time of most need we have seen in our lifetimes they didn't even dare brag about their previous token giving for fear that people would expect something from them when it really counts.

You know what is the easiest way to make people think they're doing something that doesn't cost a dime? Waving hankies. Fasting is a close second.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:34 am

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:03 am
AdmiralHoldo wrote:
You first.
Exactly. By "we" he didn't mean the church, he meant "you."
Beat me to it...

Not only did the BoM need translating but so do it's offspring.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:24 am

Holland was almost progressive in what he was proposing during this talk. I await his transcript to recall all of his suggested projects. But it was most than we usually hear. Still, as others have duly noted, you first.

AdmiralHoldo

Post by AdmiralHoldo » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:12 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:03 am
AdmiralHoldo wrote:
You first.
Exactly. By "we" he didn't mean the church, he meant "you." It would be an affront to God to use his sacred funds to help the poor. Pearls before swine.

I was a bit shocked that they didn't even wave their yellow shirts in this conference. At the time of most need we have seen in our lifetimes they didn't even dare brag about their previous token giving for fear that people would expect something from them when it really counts.

You know what is the easiest way to make people think they're doing something that doesn't cost a dime? Waving hankies. Fasting is a close second.
The yellow shirts have a dirty word on them. I'm surprised they didn't ask us to cut them up and burn them.

Gatorbait

Post by Gatorbait » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:04 pm

First of all, it is difficult to not like good ol' Holland. Pretty good guy for the most part. Not offensive and snooty at all really.

My TBM daughter sent me a link to Holland's talk and I listened to a few minutes of it and couldn't take it any longer. I'm not easily put off, but I'm so sick and tired of the people worship in the church- all the proper names and stuff. Such nonsense. It really is.

Can't just say President Nelson. Oh no, it's President Russell M. Nelson, like there's sixteen dozen President Nelsons around.

Does Holland really intend to help the poor? I think he will try, and that's better than most. The fact that he acknowledged the poor is a good step.

Too much of the time it's "pay at this window" all the blessings will be yours and all that happy horse apples. Same ol' same ol'.

I'll take another run at old Holland's talk, but I'm not sure when. Any thing that we can do to help the poor- I'm with that.
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:20 pm

When church leaders talk about giving generously to the poor they seem to have in mind the widow's mite, not the treasure vault.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."