Future of handshakes at church/temple

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
acmeist

Future of handshakes at church/temple

Post by acmeist » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:19 pm

https://www.businessinsider.com/dr-fauc ... reddit.com

I saw this on Reddit, and it made me seriously consider how much handshakes are a part of the church. Dr. Fauci says "As a society, just forget about shaking hands. We don't need to shake hands. We've got to break that custom.”
I doubt they will go away, but does anyone think they might be discouraged when things reconvene? I am female and pretty reserved personal space wise, and I kind of hated all the handshakes each Sunday by male leaders and home teachers. It wasn’t a thing at all for relief society. In everyday life, handshakes are a thing, but not nearly as prominent as every week at church, IME. Not to mention the temple. Don’t have skin in the game any longer, but if Covid makes them a thing of the past at church I think it is good.

Hagoth

Re: Future of handshakes at church/temple

Post by Hagoth » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:24 pm

Not just handshakes, but all of the touching through the veil, the prayer circle, washings and anointings... The temple is a very touchy place, even after they removed the full-body W&A octopus hands.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:36 pm

Fist and elbow bumps for the aaronic priesthood part.

Change clothes over to the right shoulder.

Knee and foot bumps for the melchezadic priesthood parts.

Add bigger slots and handrails to the veil so the old Temple Workers don’t fall down and get hurt.

Problem solved.
Last edited by Red Ryder on Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:41 pm

Couldn't they just flash their Temple signs?
Last edited by moksha on Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Jeffret

Post by Jeffret » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:44 pm

moksha wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:41 pm
Couldn't they just flash Temple their signs?
I heard they took out the flashing parts.
"Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
And the truth isn't what you want to see" (Charles Hart, "The Music of the Night")

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:01 pm

• What is that?
  • The first token of the moronic blah blah.
  • [squirt]
  • What was that?
  • The first token of Purell™ Disinfection!
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:22 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:24 pm
Not just handshakes, but all of the touching through the veil, the prayer circle, washings and anointings... The temple is a very touchy place, even after they removed the full-body W&A octopus hands.
Oh my gods Hagoth! Every time I think of my first time through, back in 83, I shudder! Octopus hands!

“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:34 am

moksha wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:41 pm
Couldn't they just flash their Temple signs?
Thank goodness gangs of marauding Young Adults have not taken up this flashing of Temple signs when hanging out at the Malt Shop after school.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:43 am

There is a lot of touching with inititories, too. It's been a long time since i did one. I was convinced the guy was going to touch my junk.
Remember the five points of fellowship? A lot of touching during that now-removed masonic ritual.
~2bizE

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:38 am

2bizE wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:43 am
There is a lot of touching with inititories, too. It's been a long time since i did one. I was convinced the guy was going to touch my junk.
Remember the five points of fellowship? A lot of touching during that now-removed masonic ritual.
It's all first-base above the neck now.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Exiled

Post by Exiled » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:59 am

RubinHighlander wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:22 pm
Hagoth wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:24 pm
Oh my gods Hagoth! Every time I think of my first time through, back in 83, I shudder! Octopus hands!

I had some old man with shaky hands perform the W&A for me. My buddy curiously stood behind me, holding my shoulders so I wouldn't run (he told me afterward that someone in our ward backed away and had to be convinced to go through with it). Anyway, I was sure shaky was going to touch my thing, too, and was standing there, only wearing a loose robe, in terror as his shaky hand reached out to me. I guess my prayers were answered when it didn't happen. :lol:

Exiled

Post by Exiled » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:07 am

2bizE wrote:
I was scared about inappropriate touching, too, and was happy when it didn't happen. FYI, here is an interesting take on why the W&A happened: https://mainstreetplaza.com/2018/12/12/ ... eping-tom/
Last edited by Exiled on Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:51 am

Don't forget the old temple helper men that made sure the deacon age boys showered off after baptisms for the dead. I specifically remembered that happening.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:04 am

Exiled wrote:
2bizE wrote:
I was scared about inappropriate touching, too and was happy when it didn't happen. FYI, here is an interesting take on why the W&A happened: https://mainstreetplaza.com/2018/12/12/ ... eping-tom/
I can see TBMs using the Uriah and Bathsheba parallels in that article as evidence the restoration is true. Image

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:40 pm

Wait.... They’re not supposed to touch your junk?

Like not even when they say “I bless your loins”?

WTF??
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:56 pm

It may be strange but i think handshaking is a thing of the past in society at large. Long after the pandemic abates the paranoia will persist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Random

Post by Random » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:02 pm

1smartdodog wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:56 pm
It may be strange but i think handshaking is a thing of the past in society at large. Long after the pandemic abates the paranoia will persist.

I hope so. I never really liked it and, as a tbm, it never occurred to me to say no. I had a daughter who said no to the bishop, but he forced it until she finally gave in, so that taught me you can't say no to shaking hands. I'm out of it now, but would still be glad to see this leave. In fact, a couple of days ago I was thinking/hoping that the tradition of shaking hands was going to go away. I mean, didn't it start so you could prove you weren't hiding weapons up your sleeve about 500 years ago?
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

alas

Post by alas » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:31 am

Random wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:02 pm
1smartdodog wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:56 pm

I hope so. I never really liked it and, as a tbm, it never occurred to me to say no. I had a daughter who said no to the bishop, but he forced it until she finally gave in, so that taught me you can't say no to shaking hands. I'm out of it now, but would still be glad to see this leave. In fact, a couple of days ago I was thinking/hoping that the tradition of shaking hands was going to go away. I mean, didn't it start so you could prove you weren't hiding weapons up your sleeve about 500 years ago?
As a sexual abuse victim, I just didn’t like creepy old men insisting that I shake their hands. My instinct was to back away when creep stuck his hand out. And some men got very offended when I backed away from them in a display of fear and distrust, but why were they so aggressive about a handshake to begin with? It was the aggressive, step too close, and stick their hand inches from me that made me react. Just back up buddy. The old Victorian etiquette was that a man did not offer to shake a woman’s hand, but waited like a gentleman to see if the lady offered. (But Mormons killed that holdover from Victorian culture, but kept the supper prudish stuff?) but as a Mormon woman, you could not refuse to shake hands as there were men who took great offense and some of those men were bishops. My offense at being grabbed was unimportant, but a bishop’s offense at being refused was proof that you were unworthy or whatever he wanted to imagine it meant. It never meant he was an aggressive jerk.

So, yeah, I really hope the male centric “have to prove you are not holding a weapon” goes away. I am not the only woman who hated not being able to refuse men we find creepy. No should mean no whether it is a handshake or a kiss or sex. Why don’t women have a right to refuse to be touched by creeps? Even if it is a harmless handshake. You do not automatically have a right to touch any part of my body. If we don’t want to be touched, that should be respected, no questions asked. It is way past time we gave up the “friendly” knuckle crushing, smash your poor arthritic hand tradition of warriors. I really hate the “firm” handshake taught to missionaries because I don’t even have arthritis and about half the time it HURTS when they do the “firm” handshake. Why do men have a right to hurt me? Then you see the handshake as power play, where men purposely crush their opponents hand, or keep shaking long past their opponents point of emotional discomfort. I have seen tRump do it to people, and it is just an act of domination. Yeah, way way past time we started bowing to others as a show of respect instead of smashing their hand. And to bow, you have to be a couple of feet away, instead of them getting right in your face.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:11 pm

I love the idea of miming to the angels as you pass them by. Might as well teach members ASL so they can sign the passwords. Then choreograph the prayer circle into a synchronized dance, kind of like what The Lamanite Generation used to do.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:22 pm

I will GLADLY give up handshakes (magickal, normal, or otherwise) if that's all it takes to get back to somewhat "normal" life. The "foot-bumps" I've seen videos of are much cooler anyway.

Sadly, methinks that's not all there is to it...
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...