Pre-Columbian horses in America

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Jeffret

Pre-Columbian horses in America

Post by Jeffret » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:35 pm

There were horses in America before the arrival of white Europeans, according to the doctoral dissertation of Yvette Running Horse Collin. As reported in Yes world, there were horses in Native culture before the settlers came, "historical documents and oral histories present a compelling new story of the horse in the Americas" and "the horse was here well before the settlers." You can also read the dissertation, The relationship between the indigenous peoples of the Americas and the horse: deconstructing a Eurocentric myth, which states that,
the Indigenous horse of the Americas survived the "Ice Age" and the original Peoples of these continents had a relationship with them from Pleistocene times to the time of "First-Contact."
But, wait, before you start increasing the coffers of the Mormon Church, the results may not be reliable. In Pseudoarchaeological claims of Horses in the Americas, archeologist Carl Feagans examines the claims in the dissertation. Some of his criticisms include, 1) the unreliability of oral histories on which she places so much reliance, 2) the inability to reliably date any of the artifacts, and 3) the uncertainty in identifying some of the artifacts as horses.

Of course, there is a Mormon connection. Collin cites Del DowDell and his nephicode.com. Your concerns can be assuaged, because his website states "all of Del's works are both scientifically and historically accurate, and his work on the geography of the Book of Mormon is at the forefront of the many writers in this field."
"Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
And the truth isn't what you want to see" (Charles Hart, "The Music of the Night")

alas

Re: Pre-Columbian horses in America

Post by alas » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:58 pm

Well, yeah, horses were in the American West before white ***settlers*** arrived. The Spanish brought them in 1500 or around there, and the horses went wild, spread up into the American west. Then in the 1800s white settlers arrived. That is NOT preColumbian horses. The horses in the US genetically trace to the horses that were in Europe. Horses did not survive the ice age, but it wasn’t the ice age that killed them. They died off in the big mega fauna die off, same as the Saber toothed tiger and giant ground sloth. And probably humans. So, she is sorta correct, but still wrong.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:02 pm

:roll:
Of course, there is a Mormon connection. Collin cites Del DowDell and his nephicode.com. Your concerns can be assuaged, because his website states "all of Del's works are both scientifically and historically accurate, and his work on the geography of the Book of Mormon is at the forefront of the many writers in this field."

If you take oral traditions literally you must also accept that the gods made people out of corn.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Jeffret

Post by Jeffret » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:11 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:02 pm
If you take oral traditions literally you must also accept that the gods made people out of corn.
You mean you don't believe that?!
And the truth isn't what you want to see" (Charles Hart, "The Music of the Night")

Jeffret

Post by Jeffret » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:22 pm

As alas mentions all horses in the U.S. descend from horses brought in from other parts of the world. They are all clearly domesticated animals that have been bred for human use. Most likely they were first domesticated in the Eurasian Steppes around 3500 BCE. There are no essentially no wild horses left. Przewalski's horse might qualify, but experts increasingly consider it an old breed of a feral variety. All of the "wild" horses running around in various parts of the Western U.S. are actually feral and not wild.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:10 pm

I wonder if genetic lineage research has been done for American horses, as it has for dogs. Not that it would necessarily change the minds of people whose beliefs suggest otherwise.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jeffret

Post by Jeffret » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:36 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:10 pm
I wonder if genetic lineage research has been done for American horses, as it has for dogs. Not that it would necessarily change the minds of people whose beliefs suggest otherwise.
My daughter is doing some now. Or maybe it's genomic. Is there a difference between genetic and genomic? I'd have to ask her.

I doubt it would convince Bishop DowDell, though, because all his books are completely "scientifically and historically accurate". (If anyone says that you can tell they don't know what they're talking about. Data always has error bars. No historian worth anything will ever say their work is historically accurate.)

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:01 am

Jeffret wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:22 pm
All of the "wild" horses running around in various parts of the Western U.S. are actually feral and not wild.
So are all those past claims of "girls gone wild" referring to merely feral girls?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

hmb

Post by hmb » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:03 am

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:02 pm

Proof--Stephen King's Children of the Corn. So it's true. Geez, such doubters.

Exiled

Post by Exiled » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:26 am

Mormons need to get to where my TBM, former stake president brother is if the church is to continue. It requires putting blinders on, though. He doesn't care about finding horses or whether or not there is a missing scroll or if the catalyst theory has legs or if a certain leader had an overly active libido. For him, with respect to the church because it is the only way he can rationalize continued belief, what happened prior to his being a conscious human being doesn't matter. What matters is today. What matters is that the book of mormon contains good stuff (it defines itself as being good because it testifies of christ). For him, he couldn't care less about how it closely mirrors the bible or that the plates conveniently disappeared prior to anyone being able to examine them without being required to have some sort of vision. Again, today is the focus and not the inconvenient past. Strap those blinders on tight and pressure your children to toe the line. The church is doing good stuff (it also self-defines what it does as doing good), and its full of good people. So, end of story and on to more pay, pray and obey.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:03 pm

Exiled wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:26 am
Mormons need to get to where my TBM, former stake president brother is if the church is to continue. It requires putting blinders on, though. He doesn't care about finding horses or whether or not there is a missing scroll or if the catalyst theory has legs or if a certain leader had an overly active libido. For him, with respect to the church because it is the only way he can rationalize continued belief, what happened prior to his being a conscious human being doesn't matter. What matters is today. What matters is that the book of mormon contains good stuff (it defines itself as being good because it testifies of christ). For him, he couldn't care less about how it closely mirrors the bible or that the plates conveniently disappeared prior to anyone being able to examine them without being required to have some sort of vision. Again, today is the focus and not the inconvenient past. Strap those blinders on tight and pressure your children to toe the line. The church is doing good stuff (it also self-defines what it does as doing good), and its full of good people. So, end of story and on to more pay, pray and obey.
And that's fine, as long as they also don't expect anyone else to believe it, and are fine with other people doing and sincerely believing as do, regardless of what's going on in the LDS chapel. And that extends to being happy to see your kids go off and find the happiest and best fitting lifestyle for them, regardless of what The Brethren are saying.

Emower

Post by Emower » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:21 am

I am sort of embarrassed to have BYU on my transcript, but at least it is only for the undergraduate degree. That could only get through a committee in Provo. (I'm assuming it was BYU, I didn't actually click the link)

Jeffret

Post by Jeffret » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:09 am

Emower wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:21 am
I am sort of embarrassed to have BYU on my transcript, but at least it is only for the undergraduate degree. That could only get through a committee in Provo. (I'm assuming it was BYU, I didn't actually click the link)
It's not. It's University of Alaska.

Emower

Post by Emower » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:39 pm

Jeffret wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:09 am
Emower wrote:
Facepalm.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:34 am

Emower wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:39 pm
Jeffret wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:09 am
Emower wrote:
Facepalm.
Given that it isn't an actual archeology or science degree, I think many Universities are hesitant to question minority student's efforts too closely, especially in the area of "native studies". I greatly appreciate any effort by Native Americans to pursue higher education but having spoken with numerous Indian students following this particular line of study and even taken classes from Native instructors who have advanced degrees in Native Studies, I would have to question the rigors and methodology involved in these studies.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington