If I could ask them one question . . . Come Follow Me, Lesson 15

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
annotatedbom

If I could ask them one question . . . Come Follow Me, Lesson 15

Post by annotatedbom » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:42 am

Happy Easter NOMies!

For Come Follow Me, lesson 15, April 13-19, Mosiah 1-3

If I wanted to encourage thought and try to understand devout believers better, I might ask:

Isn’t it weird that there are no Lehite written records?

Click here to see the Things to consider for this lesson.

Enjoy!
A-Bom

FiveFingerMnemonic

Re: If I could ask them one question . . . Come Follow Me, Lesson 15

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:10 am

Am I confusing Lehite records with the Martin Harris Lost pages book of Lehi? Are they the same or different?

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:27 am

"But behold, there are many books and many records of every kind, and they have been kept chiefly by the Nephites."

Possible responses:

1-They were all collected and buried in that cave under Cumorah that Brigham told us about. Sure, people can't find any trace of it NOW but that's because God doesn't want them to. Actual evidence would diminish the need for faith.

2- Remember when the Catholic priests burned all of those Mayan codices? Those were the Lehite records. They were very thorough in destroying ONLY the ones written by the Nephites. The few that slipped through were the degenerate Lamanites writings. Actual evidence would diminish the need for faith.

3- The existing writings on Mayan stele, codices etc. are either deceptions authored by Satan, or they have been mistranslated. Actual evidence would diminish the need for faith.

4- You must be unworthy and incapable of feeling the spirit to even ask such a question. Actual evidence would diminish the need for faith.

BUT there is a small stone monument in Saudi Arabia with NHM carved on it. God provides such powerful evidence to magnify our faith.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:57 am

If we could only find the precise location where the BofM peoples lived their daily lives, raised their families, planted their crops, herded their flocks, manufactured their steel.........had their tragedies and their successes, I feel sure the evidence we would find would be so overwhelming and indisputable that no one could doubt any longer. We would be amazed, even astonished at the large amount of evidence brought forth and sadly at the same time, ashamed of our lack of belief. We would stand speechless and trembling before the presence of our Maker. The great records would be brought forth. The indubitable testimonies would stand forth as incontrovertible witnesses against the nay-sayers and those who mock the word of God at their own spiritual peril. The very jaws of Hell would gape forth to consume the hateful and wicked who would stand against the great and glorious work of our God in these the latter days. This special time and dispensation set apart from the beginning of time to shine a light unto all who will hearken and give obeisance to God through his church and it's authoritative, duly called and appointed Servants and leaders and...........where was I???

Anyway.....

Perhaps, maybe, possibly, alternatively, any way you slice it, God is keeping that Nephite dwelling place hidden from the eyes of the world, a great secret so that we, the Lord's people, being members of thechurchofjesuschristoflatterdaysaints, can live by faith and not by sight. And so much greater will be our glory and honor in God's highest kingdom for having been believing and faithful in the face of adversity. Even so, may it ever be.

Amen, amen and amen....

:geek:

P.S. Happy Easter everyone. (Seriously) ♥️
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

annotatedbom

Post by annotatedbom » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:29 am

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:10 am
Am I confusing Lehite records with the Martin Harris Lost pages book of Lehi? Are they the same or different?
The list 116 pages were allegedly from the Book of Lehi or plates of Lehi, if memory serves. So, one could refer to the 116 list pages as Lehite records, but I was using “Lehite” in a more general sense meaning records of those descended from Lehi so as to include Nephites and Lamanites with one word.

annotatedbom

Post by annotatedbom » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:33 am

Palerider and Hagoth,

You each have amazing apologetic flair. You could each make Dr. Daniel C. Peterson proud ;)

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:23 pm

You thought Groom Lake, Nevada is where they're hiding evidence of aliens? Think again!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:18 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:23 pm
You thought Groom Lake, Nevada is where they're hiding evidence of aliens? Think again!
As I drew near to my FC and a little while after, I had the occasional idea that the BoM events actually took place on another planet or in a parallel universe. That would have fixed everything, right? Props to myself that I never entertained this kind of space doctrine.

I do wonder if the church's official goalposts could ever be moved that far, though.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.