Articles of Faith

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
2bizE

Articles of Faith

Post by 2bizE » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:14 pm

I didn’t realize there were multiple versions of the articles of faith.

One used to be “ We believe in the literal resurrection of the body, and that the dead in Christ will rise first, and that the rest of the dead live not again until the thousand years are expired”.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Article ... ay_Saints)

My favorite article of faith is #6, “We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive church, namely apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, lawyers, accountants, stock brokers, business executives, money launderers, property developers, real estate agents, and airline pilots.
~2bizE

Hagoth

Re: Articles of Faith

Post by Hagoth » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:25 am

...and apologists
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:06 am

We believe God is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow but that he often changes his mind about social issues or that he can be convinced to change his mind to make his profits look like they are doing something to look less like assholes.

We believe in paying tithing to the first principals of the corporation but that the exact nature of how those payments are used should remain a mystery to the general membership who make those payments.

We believe that certain truths are not helpful in building faith and should therefore be obscured.

We believe all white heterosexual "men" are created mostly equal if they abide by the priesthood laws, ordinances and unspoken militaristic and tribalistic rules of the corporate charter.

We believe that Jesus will come to Earth again someday, soon...really soon, maybe in this generation, as long as it keeps the general membership in a state of fear and making their tithing payments.

Okay, got to stop now....this list could be very very long, but I do think if Rusty wanted to really leave his mark, he would stop wasting time changing logos and announcing temples and update the AOFs.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:09 am

Yes there are several versions and iterations. The first principles and ordinances article of faith originated with Campbellite minister Walter Scott's "plan of salvation" and found its way to Smith's wentworth letter via fellow reformed baptist Parley P Pratt aka "The apostle Paul of Mormonism" who is perhaps the most prolific early author and tract writer and who would have theological jam sessions late into the night with JS.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:00 am

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:25 am
...and apologists
The new, more relevant 6th article of Faith cracks me up. :lol: :lol:
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:39 am

Reminds me of this old thread about unwritten articles of faith:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3352
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:44 am

RubinHighlander wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:06 am
We believe all white heterosexual "men" are created mostly equal if they abide by the priesthood laws, ordinances and unspoken militaristic and tribalistic rules of the corporate charter...
...but also unequal in the sense that some of these men are just better than the rest of us because they were especially valiant in some former existence that none of us can remember, but they just have this really strong feeling that they were really a big important deal deal, and that justifies their need to be adored and obeyed in the real, here and now world where we can serve them with time and money.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."