Quest for the Nephite Remnant

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

Quest for the Nephite Remnant

Post by Hagoth » Mon May 04, 2020 3:11 pm

A friend alerted me to the appearance of a 2-part Amazon Prime video series called Quest for the Nephite Remnant. Apparently a lot of Nephites survived the great war and made their way to Iceland, Japan, Tibet, and other places. How do we know this? Well there's a northern European legend about a guy named Nefi who had a golden treasure and a magic sword. Who else could it be? I only got about 10 minutes into it before my barf meter was pegged.

I noticed there's also a series about the Heartland Geography theory, and movies called The Passage to Zarahemla and Samuel the Lamanite.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Apologeticsislying

Re: Quest for the Nephite Remnant

Post by Apologeticsislying » Mon May 04, 2020 5:47 pm

Samuel the Lamanite's code name for modern times was Tonto. The tv series "The Lone Ranger" was designed to give him secret signals about the Last Days, and when it was time to gather the hiding Three Nephites.
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue May 05, 2020 4:53 am

The movie Journey to the Center of the Earth was about retracing the steps of Nephite Arne Saknussemm in Iceland. Saknussemm wished to rejoin the lost 10 tribes who had sought refuge in the hollow earth. In the movie, a valiant team of explorers follows the path that Saknussemm took in his descent to the center of the earth.

There was another movie several years back that had Nephites. It was set on the planet Tatooine.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue May 05, 2020 7:08 am

moksha wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 4:53 am
The movie Journey to the Center of the Earth was about retracing the steps of Nephite Arne Saknussemm in Iceland.
I loved that movie when I was a kid! Seems like it's a better fit for the Lost Ten Tribes. One of the theories was that they went into the big hole at the top of the hollow earth. Now the Nephites seem to be showing up in a lot of the same places as the Ten Tribes. There must be some conspiracy-worthy connection between the two peoples.

It makes sense that people look for these kinds of connections, because truth is so much less interesting. The Nephites can't be found because they're fictional.

The Ten Tribes are easily and mundanely explained by the standard operating procedures of the Assyrians. When they conquered you they transplanted your citizens to work as laborers in other parts of their empire. Jason Ur has recently been mapping out the vast canal system that Sennacherib created, where he exiled a lot of these deportees. The Ten Tribes were likely scattered across Northern Iraq. They don't exist as coherent tribes anymore, and they aren't coming back from anywhere. The LDS concept "an highway shall be cast up in the midst of the great deep" so God can lead them back "from the land of the north” to the new Zion in Missouri is meaningless.

I kind of wish Joseph Smith had thought of having the Nephites escape to all parts of the globe. Today we would have 200 years of wild speculation and wacky theories to entertain us that the church would be stuck with because they would be scriptural. I mean, think how much trouble Hagoth has caused with his one lost expedition.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue May 05, 2020 8:08 am

Hagoth wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 7:08 am
moksha wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 4:53 am
The movie Journey to the Center of the Earth was about retracing the steps of Nephite Arne Saknussemm in Iceland.
I loved that movie when I was a kid! Seems like it's a better fit for the Lost Ten Tribes. One of the theories was that they went into the big hole at the top of the hollow earth.
Wait, how can the Earth be hollow if it's flat? What is it with this site, always shattering people's belief systems! :lol:
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed May 06, 2020 9:14 am

RubinHighlander wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 8:08 am
Wait, how can the Earth be hollow if it's flat? What is it with this site, always shattering people's belief systems! :lol:
It's either hollow or flat on alternate days. Pyramid-shaped on leap year.