Is The ANY record of Prophecy About Corona?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
BlackMormon

Is The ANY record of Prophecy About Corona?

Post by BlackMormon » Sun May 10, 2020 9:36 pm

Warm greetings to all!

Does anyone know of any LDS scripture, LDS church talk, latter-day prophecy that warned us against this pandemic in 2020? Since the covid-19 is officially a big deal around the world and has become something of historical significance, you would think that a prophet or someone besides Bill Gates (2015) would have seen this coming. I know the church did warn people about food storage, self-sufficiency and preparedness and I know that there are scriptures that reference pestilences, wars, etc. in the last days. What I am looking for is some indication that a prophet, seer or revelator warned people about this. After all, seers are supposed to see things coming. Are there any current warnings and predictions as to what is going to happen from now on? I know that being optimistic, and it will pass is good to calm anxiety. But should we not have some prediction about the future of this pandemic? Even the Spaniards are predicting a second and third wave. What are WE seers and revelators predicting?

Palerider

Re: Is The ANY record of Prophecy About Corona?

Post by Palerider » Sun May 10, 2020 10:10 pm

The only thing I've read so far is Rusty saying we'll get through this thing and "there are wonderful days ahead."

He stated this in his latest address to church members. So if there is a second "wave" he might look kind of funny.
Although he could always say he didn't say precisely when those wonderful days would be...... :roll:
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon May 11, 2020 7:18 am

Well, once upon a time they stressed food storage. Than the Cold War ended, the doomsday clock got set back, and the prophetic warnings dwindled to a suggestion of a 72 hour kit. People who try to associate the old food storage with the new pandemic are really reaching.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

græy

Post by græy » Mon May 11, 2020 8:03 am

All the teaching about home-centered church were actually veiled prophecies about the pandemic! If we had all listened to what the were really saying instead of what we wanted to hear (Yay! One less hour of church!) then we would have known there were rough times ahead. It is totally our fault as weak lay-members for not understanding the voice of warning as it was given. <end heavy sarcasm>

No, there was no warning. If prophets, seers, and revelators knew this was going to happen and the best warning they could muster was a vague reference to self-reliance or home-centered church, then they are as culpable for the deaths of global citizens as Trump is for the climbing death toll in the United States.
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon May 11, 2020 3:21 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 7:18 am
People who try to associate the old food storage with the new pandemic are really reaching.
I know at least one lady who will tell you the focus on food storage never stopped, it just went to individual classes (Relief Society?) Supposedly not as much focus from "the pulpit" but focus all the same.

I personally didn't attend any classes like that, but then again, I'm an evil apostate, so anything I think/say/remember doesn't count.

Oh, and there was definitely not "Prophecy" or warning about this pandemic from LD$-Inc. Even Rusty admitted in one of the sessions of conference he didn't see it coming: Something about when he said it would be a "convention like no other" that he had no idea about COVID-19.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon May 11, 2020 7:22 pm

I was going through an old archive and found one from some guy with a beard (ancient prophet?). What he said sounded profound, "I do not always drink beer, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis". Take that Corona!!!
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Apologeticsislying

Post by Apologeticsislying » Tue May 12, 2020 5:09 pm

moksha wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 7:22 pm
I was going through an old archive and found one from some guy with a beard (ancient prophet?). What he said sounded profound, "I do not always drink beer, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis". Take that Corona!!!
:lol: I LOVE this bird, hangin out with us giving us things to smile and laugh about. The work of the Penguin moves forward and the world is better for it!
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed May 13, 2020 6:05 am

Apologeticsislying wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 5:09 pm
The work of the Penguin moves forward and the world is better for it!
Waddles forward. And no unhallowed hand nor leopard seal shall stop the work from progressing until the great Roald Amundsen shall say, "the work is done, now toss him a herring!"
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Exiled

Post by Exiled » Wed May 13, 2020 9:56 am

The Lord isn't worried about such trivial things as covid-19. Death comes to us all. He is more concerned with scheduling changes and quorum reshuffling and so He inspires His trusted servant Rusty's pen to write new and inventive ways to conduct meetings, and run the organization, after doing the holy research on such things first.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Wed May 13, 2020 11:22 am

Exiled wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 9:56 am
The Lord isn't worried about such trivial things as covid-19. Death comes to us all. He is more concerned with scheduling changes and quorum reshuffling and so He inspires His trusted servant Rusty's pen to write new and inventive ways to conduct meetings, and run the organization, after doing the holy research on such things first.
And how his foyers are decorated...
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

John Hamer

Post by John Hamer » Wed May 13, 2020 8:06 pm

The prophet of Community of Christ, Stephen Veazey, changed the rules regarding the practice of the sacrament of the Lord's Supper last September. While that didn't predict the coronavirus, it clearly anticipated a need that we have now. As a result of the preemptive change, Community of Christ members have been able to receive the sacrament over Zoom during self-isolation.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Wed May 13, 2020 9:37 pm

John Hamer wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:06 pm
The prophet of Community of Christ, Stephen Veazey, changed the rules regarding the practice of the sacrament of the Lord's Supper last September. While that didn't predict the coronavirus, it clearly anticipated a need that we have now. As a result of the preemptive change, Community of Christ members have been able to receive the sacrament over Zoom during self-isolation.
This is pretty amazing, especially given that active members today would scoff at this while claiming the "home centered church" is the true revelation of coronavirus.

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu May 14, 2020 4:10 am

I like the Catholic idea of small individual sacramental wine cups with foil lids. Keeping a six-pack in the fridge for pandemics would come in handy, as would a box of Ritz crackers.

(Look, no matter how hard you twist my flipper, I am not going to say Jesus 'N Crackers)
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri May 15, 2020 3:13 pm

No, but members will surely make up a revelation. In 50 years it will be known as how RMN saved the world from Coronavirus....one of Elder Holland’s grandchildren will be in the Q15 and will tell a story about a guy in his mission during corona that met a biker guy who had corona and he was saved thanks to the great revelations by RMN.... Mark me, there will be made up stories of how church leaders saved the day during the coronavirus pandemic.
~2bizE

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri May 15, 2020 3:15 pm

John Hamer wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:06 pm
What changes were these John?
~2bizE

John Hamer

Post by John Hamer » Sun May 17, 2020 7:03 pm

2bizE wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 3:15 pm
What changes were these John?
We can now celebrate the sacrament simultaneously in multiple remote locations. If a person is in Antarctica, and is not in priesthood, he can mindfully prepare emblems. Then, live at a remote location, a priest or Melchisedec priesthood holder can read the blessing on the bread and the wine over the phone or online. The person in Antarctica can then take the sacrament remotely.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun May 17, 2020 8:19 pm

That makes perfect sense. If radio waves can reach Antarctica I'm sure Priesthood waves can. Or maybe it only works for the CoC frequency. Maybe the Brighamite Priesthood emanations bounce off walls or have aggressive signal attenuation. Also not a lot of bandwidth, otherwise the prophet could just do all of the temple work for all of the dead in one fell swoop.

BlackMormon

Post by BlackMormon » Tue May 19, 2020 5:45 pm

:D
græy wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 8:03 am

No, there was no warning. If prophets, seers, and revelators knew this was going to happen and the best warning they could muster was a vague reference to self-reliance or home-centered church, then they are as culpable for the deaths of global citizens as Trump is for the climbing death toll in the United States.
Wow...made me chuckle.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed May 20, 2020 8:45 am

Prophecy in Mormonism is like Nostradamus. You can only tell after the fact and then you have to do a lot of mental contorting to make it work.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams