If I could ask them one question . . . Come Follow Me, Lesson 21

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
annotatedbom

If I could ask them one question . . . Come Follow Me, Lesson 21

Post by annotatedbom » Sun May 24, 2020 6:59 am

For Come Follow Me, lesson 21, May 25-31, Mosiah 29 - Alma 4

If I wanted to encourage thought and try to understand devout believers better, I might ask:

Doesn’t Alma the Younger seem like an Incredible?

See the Things to consider for this lesson.

And, here’s a list of some other observations about this lesson’s reading.

Enjoy!
A-Bom

alas

Re: If I could ask them one question . . . Come Follow Me, Lesson 21

Post by alas » Sun May 24, 2020 9:06 am

Alma jr brags about how he has never accepted any money for his work in the gospel, and yet Joseph jr tried to make money off religion at every turn. In fact, it strikes me that Joseph learned nothing about being righteous from the BoM and followed zero of its teachings.

annotatedbom

Post by annotatedbom » Mon May 25, 2020 7:11 am

alas wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:06 am
Alma jr brags about how he has never accepted any money for his work in the gospel, and yet Joseph jr tried to make money off religion at every turn. In fact, it strikes me that Joseph learned nothing about being righteous from the BoM and followed zero of its teachings.
This is a really good point. Another biggie in the BoM that Joseph seemed completely oblivious to is polygamy.
Joseph wrote: 24 Behold, David and Solomon truly had many wives and concubines, which thing was abominable before me, saith the Lord.
. . .
27 Wherefore, my brethren, hear me, and hearken to the word of the Lord: For there shall not any man among you have save it be one wife; and concubines he shall have none;
28 For I, the Lord God, delight in the chastity of women [but doesn't seem to care about that of men?]. And whoredoms are an abomination before me; thus saith the Lord of Hosts.
. . .
30 For if I will, saith the Lord of Hosts, raise up seed unto me, I will command my people; otherwise they shall hearken unto these things.
(Jacob 2:24-30)
What other BoM teachings did brother Joseph just blow off?

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon May 25, 2020 8:34 am

annotatedbom wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 7:11 am
What other BoM teachings did brother Joseph just blow off?
How about the warnings about secret signs and combinations. He pretty much cornered that market.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon May 25, 2020 8:38 am

These extensive fatalities indicate armies of massive numbers, yet these top leaders of each faction end up doing direct, one-on-one battle with each other.
And it's a pattern. It happened with the Jaredites too. Even more impressive was that it came down to only two people after millions had fallen and they just happened to be the leaders of each side.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

alas

Post by alas » Mon May 25, 2020 12:57 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 8:38 am
These extensive fatalities indicate armies of massive numbers, yet these top leaders of each faction end up doing direct, one-on-one battle with each other.
And it's a pattern. It happened with the Jaredites too. Even more impressive was that it came down to only two people after millions had fallen and they just happened to be the leaders of each side.
Makes for more exciting fiction. I have seen some of the great battles of Europe pictured this way. But it a romanticized notion. Reality was, usually the king was up on a hill watching the battle so that if things started going badly, he could turn tail and run. But people like to paint a portrait of bravery, bla bla bla, with the hero single handedly fighting against the enemy. Kind of like Custer’s last stand where the historical view is Custer, alone, still standing, surrounded by a bunch of Natives. But when my battle experienced WWII vet father looked over the battlefield layout, he said that the place where Custer’s body was found was was the place on a battlefield where they would put the injured when the battle got started and that Custer was probably out leading, with his blond locks waving in the breeze and his leadership obvious so he was the first one brought down in the initial attack. Like during WWII where the Germans targeted the officers and the medics as the first to be shot.