If I could ask them one question . . . Come Follow Me, Lesson 24

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
annotatedbom

If I could ask them one question . . . Come Follow Me, Lesson 24

Post by annotatedbom » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:04 am

For Come Follow Me, Lesson 24, Jun 15-21, 2020, Alma 13-16

If I wanted to encourage thought and try to understand devout believers better, I might ask:
Why are Book of Mormon prophecies so … prophetic?

See the Things to consider for this lesson.

And, here’s a list of some other observations about this lesson’s reading.

Enjoy!
A-Bom

Hagoth

Re: If I could ask them one question . . . Come Follow Me, Lesson 24

Post by Hagoth » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:01 pm

You're not seeing what's right in front of your face. President Nelson totally predicted the Covid-19 pandemic. After all, he renamed Family Home Evening to Home Study. Spine tingles, man.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:04 pm

Excellent points one and all. It is so astounding, like Hercule Poirot, Adrian Monk, and Sherlock Holmes solving all their cases!
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:56 am

Another interesting thing to talk about in this regard is how the prophesies of the BoM are so precise and accurate in their predictions leading right up to the time of Joseph Smith, after which they become rare and fuzzy. There are only two future predictions that I can think of. One is that God will raise up a great prophet named Joseph, the son of Joseph, to translate the book, which was fulfilled merely by Joseph saying it. The other is that the remnants of the remnants of the BoM people will rise up and tear the gentiles to pieces "and none can deliver."

The first is easily explained as the author writing himself into the narrative. The second never happened, although it is echoed in D&C 87 where it is prophesied that the "remnants" will rise up with the slaves and start a war that will spill over into all nations.

I have noticed a lot of statements from apologists and leaders reminding members that prophecy is not the same thing as prediction (forthtelling vs. foretelling). It makes you wonder why Book of Mormon prophets could predict details about the future so precisely (far more so than Bible prophets) but modern prophets are always deer in the headlights.

I would be tempted to say the LDS leaders are prophets in name only.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."