Grant Palmer's non-believing GA revealed

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
User avatar
felixfabulous
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:37 pm

Re: Grant Palmer's non-believing GA revealed

Post by felixfabulous » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:45 pm

Busche was German and from Germany, but moved to Bountiful and I don't think he ever left. He was in my friend's ward growing up, so that would put him in Utah, even after he retired.

User avatar
1smartdodog
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:51 pm

Re: Grant Palmer's non-believing GA revealed

Post by 1smartdodog » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:35 pm

I would suspect there is more than one GA with doubts about what they are doing.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Thoughtful
Posts: 1110
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:54 pm

Re: Grant Palmer's non-believing GA revealed

Post by Thoughtful » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:10 pm

With regard to the shock at JD being insensitive and using personal gain without consideration of whom he harms....

This seems to be par for his course.

He is unlicensed and practices life coaching instead of therapy, to help without ethical oversight.
He frequently disses the feminist community and mansplains at both his male and female guests.
He sided with someone stealing from Exponent 2 and acted like Ex 2 was histrionic for being upset at being stolen from.
There was a rift at his company over compensating mem and women differently.

He is postmo db patriarchy embodied. So...

User avatar
alas
Posts: 1578
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:10 pm

Re: Grant Palmer's non-believing GA revealed

Post by alas » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:45 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:10 pm
With regard to the shock at JD being insensitive and using personal gain without consideration of whom he harms....

This seems to be par for his course.

He is unlicensed and practices life coaching instead of therapy, to help without ethical oversight.
He frequently disses the feminist community and mansplains at both his male and female guests.
He sided with someone stealing from Exponent 2 and acted like Ex 2 was histrionic for being upset at being stolen from.
There was a rift at his company over compensating mem and women differently.

He is postmo db patriarchy embodied. So...
I also wasn’t a bit surprised that he would reveal a name with no consideration to the man’s reputation or his family’s well being. If something is confided to you confidentially, even the person’s death doesn’t give you permission to blab when others will be harmed by the info. There is a REASON people want things kept confidential. And I doubt that JD had an agreement with him that he could reveal who he was after he had died. Most people don’t take that into consideration and so it is never discussed.

I try not to engage in gossip especially when it is not first hand knowledge, but let’s just say the nasty rumors could fill several volumes, most of them having to do with him being less than kind or less than ethical. My only personal experience with him was that he expected to be treated like a celebrity and I didn’t know who the hell he was, so his attitude left a really bad impression. The only podcast I ever tried to listen to was with someone I went to high school with, so I was interested on kind of a personal basis and I just didn’t like the way he treated people, putting words into their mouth, and just condescending, besides, I just had a hard time sitting and listening. Never realized before that without the visuals, I can’t follow a conversation.

Thoughtful
Posts: 1110
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:54 pm

Re: Grant Palmer's non-believing GA revealed

Post by Thoughtful » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:00 pm

alas wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:45 pm
Thoughtful wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:10 pm
With regard to the shock at JD being insensitive and using personal gain without consideration of whom he harms....

This seems to be par for his course.

He is unlicensed and practices life coaching instead of therapy, to help without ethical oversight.
He frequently disses the feminist community and mansplains at both his male and female guests.
He sided with someone stealing from Exponent 2 and acted like Ex 2 was histrionic for being upset at being stolen from.
There was a rift at his company over compensating mem and women differently.

He is postmo db patriarchy embodied. So...
I just didn’t like the way he treated people, putting words into their mouth, and just condescending, besides, I just had a hard time sitting and listening. Never realized before that without the visuals, I can’t follow a conversation.
Yep. This is him in a nutshell. Putting words in peoples mouths and generally being condescending.

User avatar
StarbucksMom
Posts: 285
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:14 am

Re: Grant Palmer's non-believing GA revealed

Post by StarbucksMom » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:17 am

I hope John Dehlin gets his self-centered ass sued for this. This guy has a doctorate in psychology.

Anyone with this position and even a minute amount of professionalism and ethics would never do this.

User avatar
Yobispo
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:35 pm

Re: Grant Palmer's non-believing GA revealed

Post by Yobispo » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:08 pm

I have lots of conflicting opinions on this. Busche was a paid GA for a career and if he knew it was all BS then I don't have much sympathy for his privacy. He was out there encouraging young people to go on missions, bearing testimony and committing the youth to a lifetime of service to a fraud. He toured my mission and it would have been a nice heads-up in 1991 ("Hey kid, go ahead and go home and pursue your education, this stuff is crap") But he spent his tour telling us to work harder and be more obedient to the all-important mission rules.

Would it be hard for him to take a stand on principal? Yes! Just ask anyone here who has left the church. Or ask the Mattsons or Tom Phillips.

As for John's role here, I lost my dad last year and if this was my dad I would be really pissed off. John handed his critics some ammo.

As for the $1M - who cares. As a business decision, locking in a high-level executive for LIFE would require certain guarantees and compensation, so the idea that they take the $1M, pay of their debts and can focus on their job actually makes sense to me. Where it gets sticky is that little part about this being Jesus' true church and them being just humble servants o' the Lord.

User avatar
slavereeno
Posts: 1220
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:30 am
Location: QC, AZ

Re: Grant Palmer's non-believing GA revealed

Post by slavereeno » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:18 am

I am not sure what to think here.

I don't always agree with JD, or how he approaches things, but his stuff has been helpful to me along the way. I can see how this gives his critics ammunition. Certainly as a therapist this is not cool. It also discourages future high level leaders from talking to anyone who could potentially out them.

On the other hand, the church goes to great lengths to protect itself, often using gas-lighting to dispel criticisms or leaks. The longer this name is kept secret, the more it helps their efforts to gaslight. People forget and time seems to make things become irrelevant. But aren't criticisms of public figures fair game? This guy got paid to be a GA, he accepted being a public figure. I only see a valid lawsuit if the information is false.

User avatar
2bizE
Posts: 1769
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:33 pm

Re: Grant Palmer's non-believing GA revealed

Post by 2bizE » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:56 pm

I keep having this dream that Richard Bushmanrhc leaves in his will for an official statement to be read where he explains that the church is a fraud and he didn’t say this earlier because it would have affected his book sales.
~2bizE

User avatar
Corsair
Posts: 2914
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:58 am
Location: Phoenix

Re: Grant Palmer's non-believing GA revealed

Post by Corsair » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:57 pm

2bizE wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:56 pm
I keep having this dream that Richard Bushmanrhc leaves in his will for an official statement to be read where he explains that the church is a fraud and he didn’t say this earlier because it would have affected his book sales.
If Bushman was truly a non-believer, he is hiding it really well. All I see from him is a heavily nuanced believer. That would be amazing, but my faith is pretty weak in that department also.

User avatar
Raylan Givens
Posts: 297
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:09 am

Re: Grant Palmer's non-believing GA revealed

Post by Raylan Givens » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:29 pm

StarbucksMom wrote:I hope John Dehlin gets his self-centered ass sued for this. This guy has a doctorate in psychology.

Anyone with this position and even a minute amount of professionalism and ethics would never do this.
I think JD realizes the Open Stories Foundation might no longer be sustainable. Especially with Covid decimating many nonprofits. I believe he is now looking to see what his next step will be. I also think this is now changing his tone and the language he uses when addresses Church topics and its leaders. I think “the gloves are coming off” so to speak. John is first and foremost a podcaster and is getting angrier as time goes on. I think John Larsen sounded the same way on his podcast before he stopped doing it.

I also think some of the details discussed with Grant Palmer may be overstated, or even might be conjecture on the part of Busche.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

User avatar
Raylan Givens
Posts: 297
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:09 am

Re: Grant Palmer's non-believing GA revealed

Post by Raylan Givens » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:40 pm

blazerb wrote:Interesting. A lawsuit would have been fascinating. Probably no one would have been willing to go on record.
I would love to see this and where it goes. Two dead men’s words against each other.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests