Brian Hauglid on RFM!

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
consiglieri

Brian Hauglid on RFM!

Post by consiglieri » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:10 am

Brian Hauglid has graciously agreed to be interviewed by your humble podcaster this coming Monday!

Brian has recently retired as professor of ancient scripture after a long and distinguished career at Brigham Young University.

Are there any questions you would like me to put to him?

All the Best!

RFM

Mormorrisey

Re: Brian Hauglid on RFM!

Post by Mormorrisey » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:45 am

consiglieri wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:10 am
Brian Hauglid has graciously agreed to be interviewed by your humble podcaster this coming Monday!

Brian has recently retired as professor of ancient scripture after a long and distinguished career at Brigham Young University.

Are there any questions you would like me to put to him?

All the Best!

RFM
Wow. That's quite a coup, RFM. I will await that episode with eager anticipation - now that my part of the world is opening up my time for podcasts is dwindling down, but this one I'll make sure I have time for.

I would just like to hear more about the seemingly more fractured world of Mormon apologetics. Is there a lot of really that bad infighting between the Hauglid/Givens camps and the Gee group? How bad is it? Can he explain more about his comments on Facebook about "abhorrent" apologetics?

I'm sure he'll go into it, but those would be the parts I'd love to hear.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:49 am

Sorry to add, but I'd also REALLY like to hear Hauglid's thoughts on the hatchet job Gee did on his edition of the JS Papers project for the Interpreter Foundation:

https://journal.interpreterfoundation.o ... -stumbles/

This was so just so petty and unprofessional of Gee, I'd love to hear what Hauglid has to say.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:47 pm

I am really looking forward to this one - I know Hauglid is still a believer, but i'm wondering how he maintains any belief in the BoA after agreeing to Dan Vogel's deconstruction of how it was produced.

And then how do you take that knowledge and not apply it to Joseph's other works be it the Book of Mormon, Moses, JST, or even his revelations.

Can't wait!

græy

Post by græy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:29 pm

Ditto for jfro18's questions. I suspect something like that might be on the agenda anyway.

Thanks consig! As always, many thanks for all you do and all you put in to your podcast!
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:09 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:47 pm
I am really looking forward to this one - I know Hauglid is still a believer, but i'm wondering how he maintains any belief in the BoA after agreeing to Dan Vogel's deconstruction of how it was produced.
Yeah, I would love to hear the story about his transition from defending the long scroll hypothesis to wherever he is now. I'd also like to know where he is now with regards to restoration scripture in general. Also what he thinks of Kerry Muhlstein's brand of BoA apologetics, considering that Muhlstein has been called out by his non-Mormon colleagues as disingenuous, and that he has been caught outright telling lies (e.g. saying that the P. Leiden papyrus says, "Abraham upon his couch," when it clearly says no such thing).

I would also like to know if Hauglid has any insights to share about the authorship of the Gospel Topics essays.
jfro18 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:47 pm
Can't wait!
Likewise.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:20 pm

Also, what does he think of Gee saying that facts are like hand grenades that should be kept away from us tiny-brained members, because we can't handle the truth without getting smithereened (my words, not his). And his Packer-like condemnation of teachers who are breaking covenants when they tell the truth and ”will be accountable.” :roll:
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:01 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:20 pm
Also, what does he think of Gee saying that facts are like hand grenades that should be kept away from us tiny-brained members, because we can't handle the truth without getting smithereened (my words, not his). And his Packer-like condemnation of teachers who are breaking covenants when they tell the truth and ”will be accountable.” :roll:
Oh I would like to hear an answer to this as well... I doubt he will attack Gee, but I'd love to hear his take on Gee's perceived role in being the one that takes the grenades from hitting the members w/ questions.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:27 pm

I would also like to hear what he thinks of accusations that Mormonism is fundamentally racist. We've heard endless justifications and nuances for BoM skin color problems, so please don't get lost wandering down that endless path. But what about the BoA? Joseph Smith turned Anubis into a slave, presumably because his skin appears to be black on the papyrus. The BoA teaches the curse of Cain doctrine and justifies withholding the priesthood from black people because of that curse. Right now is a great time to be shouting these things from the rooftops.