Hagoth's Journey Confirmed!

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Linked

Hagoth's Journey Confirmed!

Post by Linked » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:30 am

Well, almost. Looks like there is some genetic evidence of ancient Americans traveling from Central America to Polynesian islands. But it happened long after the Nephites were destroyed and the Lamanites dwindled in unbelief (~1100 AD). The Native American group may have been there before the Polynesian group arrived.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/07 ... comments=1
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

moksha

Re: Hagoth's Journey Confirmed!

Post by moksha » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:40 am

This isn't jiving with my theory that the Cureloms and Cumoms built the stone heads on Easter Island as a tribute to the fall of their friends the Nephites.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:57 am

Hagoth is Reformed Egyptian for Thor Heyerdahl.

It's not a huge surprise, considering that South American sweet potatoes have long been known throughout Polynesia, and chicken bones of Polynesian origin have been found in South America. Also, we know there were South American raft sailors trading along the west coast for thousands of miles, which was one of the things that inspired Heyerdahl in the first place.

More likely is that it was Polynesians who first encountered the Americas. Europeans were blown away by the speed and capabilities of the Polynesian sailors and their craft, which could leave a British a brigantine in its dust and had already been everywhere else in the South Pacific.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:54 am

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:57 am
Europeans were blown away by the speed and capabilities of the Polynesian sailors and their craft, which could leave a British a brigantine in its dust and had already been everywhere else in the South Pacific.
With boats of curious construction?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha