Polynesians with native american DNA article

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
FiveFingerMnemonic

Polynesians with native american DNA article

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:05 pm

Wowsa, around a thousand years off from Hagoth in the BOM but still interesting:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01983-5

Linked

Re: Polynesians with native american DNA article

Post by Linked » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:13 pm

Back to church
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:40 pm

This is fascinating. Although they're talking about a migration from Columbia to the Marquesas, the authors also suggest a scenario in which Polynesians might have traveled to the Americas and brought American passengers back with them. Either scenario is possible but the superior sailing skills and technologies of the Polynesians makes me lean toward the second scenario.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:23 am

I haven't been online much this week, but I haven't seen this posted by the usual DezNat types who would claim victory for the BoM.

Are you seeing people pass this around as proof of the BoM? It reminds me of that (National Geographic?) article about finding human remains in North America but then you look at it's from 25,000 years ago which completely blows Book of Mormon/Joseph Smith teachings out the window.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:20 am

jfro18 wrote:I haven't been online much this week, but I haven't seen this posted by the usual DezNat types who would claim victory for the BoM.

Are you seeing people pass this around as proof of the BoM? It reminds me of that (National Geographic?) article about finding human remains in North America but then you look at it's from 25,000 years ago which completely blows Book of Mormon/Joseph Smith teachings out the window.
I had one TBM friend post it and I casually mentioned the timeline differences and the other theory of polynesians picking up boat hitchhikers from South America as a soft rebuttal.

no1saint

Post by no1saint » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:29 pm

It doesn’t change the fact that we don’t have Jewish DNA. What we do know is the kumara is not native to New Zealand. It is native to South America, specifically Peru.iy also isn’t uniform as Asian genetic markers have also been found in Polynesian DNA. Linguistically and culturally, there are small signs deeper connections.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:53 pm

So, the BoM started in Polynesia and then Hagoth sailed to South America?
~2bizE

Exiled

Post by Exiled » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:20 pm

no1saint wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:29 pm
It doesn’t change the fact that we don’t have Jewish DNA. What we do know is the kumara is not native to New Zealand. It is native to South America, specifically Peru.iy also isn’t uniform as Asian genetic markers have also been found in Polynesian DNA. Linguistically and culturally, there are small signs deeper connections.
I can't believe you don't subscribe to the lost DNA theory. It was in all the papers, or at least a certain essay, and very popular among certain COB/47 E. S. Temple patrons.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:39 pm

Exiled wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:20 pm
I can't believe you don't subscribe to the lost DNA theory. It was in all the papers, or at least a certain essay, and very popular among certain COB/47 E. S. Temple patrons.
Lost DNA, lost Book of Abraham scrolls... and yet so many buy into it even after hearing that since the evidence goes against their claim, the original material/dna/etc must be lost somehow.