The Happiness Letter - possibly the most damning evidence against polygamy?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
moksha

Re: The Happiness Letter - possibly the most damning evidence against polygamy?

Post by moksha » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:55 am

Dallin Oaks wrote:Our side will settle for a draw, but those who deny the historicity of the Book of Mormon cannot settle for a draw. They must try to disprove its historicity—
Actually, when someone makes the extraordinary claim that their faith is the only true faith and that everyone should join it, they should offer some proof beyond self-hypnotism. Much better to say, "Our foundational claims may be bogus, but we intend to do a bunch of really good things in the future". Of course, to say that you have to intend to deliver on that promise.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Re: The Happiness Letter - possibly the most damning evidence against polygamy?

Post by Hagoth » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:57 am

wtfluff wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:38 pm
So if I understand correctly, Montez is quoting Oaks, who is quoting Maxwell who is quoting Farrer?
Yup, that's the quote. Funny, I skimmed right over it when I saw that it wasn't coming directly from Oaks. Thanks for pointing that out, Fluff.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."