New Mormon Stories/RFM interview with Egyptologist Robert Ritner

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Red Ryder

Re: New Mormon Stories/RFM interview with Egyptologist Robert Ritner

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:44 am

Where does Gee go from here?

Will the church continue to rely on and promote him or does it really matter considering the irrelevance of his position?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:36 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:23 pm
I listened to part of that Gee PGP video while I was grocery shopping...
Can you please share a link with us? All this time I didn't even know there was a Pearl of Great Price Central!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:52 pm

Mormorrisey wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:07 pm
So the big part I took away, is that Gee seems to be as big of a jerkwad as I imagined him being.
He surpasses my expectations by several stones' throws. My attitude about the church leadership's integrity has also dropped a couple more pegs to realize the extent of their willful involvement in this kind of shameful douchebaggery.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:00 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:36 pm
jfro18 wrote:
Can you please share a link with us? All this time I didn't even know there was a Pearl of Great Price Central!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5zdKRLQV-8

I only made it about 20-25 minutes or so in before I was home and had to turn it off, but the olishem part was just so amazingly bad that I can't believe they didn't see how much Gee flipped on himself in that answer.

Yobispo

Post by Yobispo » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:14 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:00 pm
Hagoth wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:36 pm
jfro18 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5zdKRLQV-8

I only made it about 20-25 minutes or so in before I was home and had to turn it off, but the olishem part was just so amazingly bad that I can't believe they didn't see how much Gee flipped on himself in that answer.
I think I have an answer to your confusion about why nobody stopped him, and its the same answer for why the church continues to support Gee: Nobody is listening closely enough to catch his contradictions. He is so mind-numbingly boring that by the time he lies or distorts you're already asleep. And I'm only half-kidding. TSCC is banking on their years of training you to turn away from "bad feels", which is why TBMs won;t listen long enough to Ritner for it to matter, too.

Ritner's podcast will be a massive gift to the current generation of rabbit-holers, and for that I am grateful.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:17 pm

So are Dehlin and RFM the new tag team duo?

What other podcasts would be interesting for them to do?

It would be cool if they could get Mark Hofmann on the line.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:51 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:17 pm

What other podcasts would be interesting for them to do?

It would be cool if they could get Mark Hofmann on the line.
Mark Hoffmann would be interesting. I wouldn't mind hearing them question Spencer Fluhman or the Givens's. How about Marlin Jensen? Of course, these are impossible, but I can dream. There must be some more like Brian Hauglid. It is hard to predict who those would be.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:45 am

Red Ryder wrote:
I actually find that idea rather disappointing. Dehlin doesn't edit on a good day and his podcasts are often rambling. The main reason I don't listen to this stiff on a regular basis is the fact that a short podcast for him is an hour and a half. Most are 3-5 hours. I only really tune in for special interest ones and those are rare, maybe one or two a year. RFM is normally good about editing and staying on topic, but he does repeat himself, A LOT.

Regular Dehlin & RFM podcasts seams like a recipe for disaster. They did okay on the Robert Ritner ones, but they were still VERY long and a big challenge to get through because of their length. Doing stuff on a regular basis together, I don't see being good for listeners. I would expect more longer, disorganized podcasts that are a chore to get through.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:55 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:45 am
Red Ryder wrote:
I actually find that idea rather disappointing. Dehlin doesn't edit on a good day and his podcasts are often rambling. The main reason I don't listen to this stiff on a regular basis is the fact that a short podcast for him is an hour and a half. Most are 3-5 hours. I only really tune in for special interest ones and those are rare, maybe one or two a year. RFM is normally good about editing and staying on topic, but he does repeat himself, A LOT.

Regular Dehlin & RFM podcasts seams like a recipe for disaster. They did okay on the Robert Ritner ones, but they were still VERY long and a big challenge to get through because of their length. Doing stuff on a regular basis together, I don't see being good for listeners. I would expect more longer, disorganized podcasts that are a chore to get through.
I think Dehlin goes long because so much of the interview is about someone's personal journey. For me I am more interested in historical issues and scholardhip about Mormonism, so I tend to skip by those sections.

But I do think that RFM and Dehlin combined would help because they kept each other from going too deep in the weeds, and I think RFM adds a lot of really good (and quick) knowledge on the truth claims and history that really helps to drive the questions.

I personally have always loved the RFM and Bill Reel podcasts because they bounce ideas off of each other and they clearly prepare on the topics and provide some really good insight, so I hope those continue even as Reel has backed away from Mormon podcasts a lot lately.

Either way - more scholarly/historical podcasts are always welcomed by me. :)

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:27 pm

Word on the street is that seven MS listeners so far have come forward to offer one of their kidneys for Dr. Ritner. I'm one of the other thousands listeners who are feeling guilty about not doing so. I wonder if Brother Gee would get that kind of response from the Fair Voice audience if he was in the same predicament.

Apologeticsislying

Post by Apologeticsislying » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:39 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:27 pm
Word on the street is that seven MS listeners so far have come forward to offer one of their kidneys for Dr. Ritner. I'm one of the other thousands listeners who are feeling guilty about not doing so. I wonder if Brother Gee would get that kind of response from the Fair Voice audience if he was in the same predicament.
Gee needs a new brain transplant, not a kidney...... :D
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:43 am

Radio Free Mormon: 193: John Gee Comes Clean! https://radiofreemormon.org/2020/08/rad ... mes-clean/

If you think of John Dehlin and RFM as cookies, RFM is the sharper cookie. Maybe something like vanilla wafers and ginger snaps.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha