New Mormon Stories/RFM interview with Egyptologist Robert Ritner

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
wtfluff

Re: New Mormon Stories/RFM interview with Egyptologist Robert Ritner

Post by wtfluff » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:54 pm

Lucidity wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:45 am
Nothing stifles curiosity and wonder like “God did it”.
The ultimate thought-terminating phrase/cliché?

Likely why similar phrases get used a LOT when it comes to religion.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:55 pm

Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:04 am

I have the 2nd part going right now and the beginning of it is an absolutely perfect takedown of the John Gee podcast last week. Holy hell is that brutal.

And the voices are all correct so whatever happened last week is fixed. Dehlin is no longer possessed by a demon.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:36 am

jfro18 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:04 am
Dehlin is no longer possessed by a demon.
Try telling that to the people who had him excommunicated.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:00 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:36 am
jfro18 wrote:
Dehlin is no longer possessed by a demon.
Try telling that to the people who had him excommunicated.
And Rosebud!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Yobispo

Post by Yobispo » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:06 pm

jfro18 wrote:
I have the 2nd part going right now and the beginning of it is an absolutely perfect takedown of the John Gee podcast last week. Holy hell is that brutal.

And the voices are all correct so whatever happened last week is fixed. Dehlin is no longer possessed by a demon.
This is the apologist beat-down that I have been waiting for.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:10 pm

Yobispo wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:06 pm
jfro18 wrote:

This is the apologist beat-down that I have been waiting for.
It delivers in that regard from start to finish - it is just a ruthless takedown where Ritner tells you where Gee and Muehlstein are pulling from and why they know they are wrong but do it anyway.

As I said in part 1 - every member should watch these episodes because they are straightforward and meticulous in looking at what Joseph Smith got wrong, where he pulled from, and why apologists are intentionally deceiving members about what Joseph Smith got wrong.

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:30 pm

Is it possible that the church will remove the facsimiles from the BoA at some point? Really, these are the easiest targets indicating that JS made it all up.

I am about halfway through part 2. This is amazing.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:48 pm

blazerb wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:30 pm
Is it possible that the church will remove the facsimiles from the BoA at some point? Really, these are the easiest targets indicating that JS made it all up.

I don't think you can at this point - the Book of Abraham itself points to them in the text.

The only way to do it would be to de-canonize the BoA but man that would be quite a gamble for the church to try.

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:25 am

jfro18 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:48 pm
blazerb wrote:

I don't think you can at this point - the Book of Abraham itself points to them in the text.

The only way to do it would be to de-canonize the BoA but man that would be quite a gamble for the church to try.
Oh, they will do it eventually. Suddenly it will be vogue among members to remind us that the Book of Abraham was never really considered scripture anyway, and down the memory hole it goes. Hey, if you can convince people one year to have "I'm a Mormon" social media profiles and then the next year convince them that use of the word "Mormon" is a victory for Satan, you can get them to buy anything.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:24 am

Yup. Just start ignoring it today and slowly remove all the references from the online talks, manuals, and magazines.

It’s not like the BoA is top shelf material in the first place. Mainly a fun diagram for kids to flip through during a boring sacrament meeting.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:37 am

Not Buying It wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:25 am
jfro18 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:48 pm
blazerb wrote:

Oh, they will do it eventually. Suddenly it will be vogue among members to remind us that the Book of Abraham was never really considered scripture anyway, and down the memory hole it goes. Hey, if you can convince people one year to have "I'm a Mormon" social media profiles and then the next year convince them that use of the word "Mormon" is a victory for Satan, you can get them to buy anything.
I just hope it happens in my lifetime, I wanna watch the fallout from the cheap-seats.

Hurry up COJCOLd$-Inc.!

(I don't think it will change much among my believing family members, but I still want to watch.)

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:24 am
Yup. Just start ignoring it today and slowly remove all the references from the online talks, manuals, and magazines.

It’s not like the BoA is top shelf material in the first place. Mainly a fun diagram for kids to flip through during a boring sacrament meeting.
If they de-emphasize BoA, do they also start de-emphasizing the "endowment" and temple attendance also?

Lots of folks like to claim that much of the "endowment" is based on BoA.

Oh, and I also made it through part 2 of the podcast, and my mind continues to be blown. Yeah I knew the BoA was fake, yeah I knew "the issues," but the breakdown that Dr. Ritner brings to the table just rips the apologetics to absolute shreds, and not just the apologetics related to BoA.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:06 pm

“wtfluff” wrote: If they de-emphasize BoA, do they also start de-emphasizing the "endowment" and temple attendance also?

Lots of folks like to claim that much of the "endowment" is based on BoA.
I’d be happy with them ditching the garments and letting them do whatever the hell they want inside the temple.

As a TBM, I always linked the endowment to the creation story in the Bible. Never once thought of the BoA because I never read it. It was always weird in my mind because I couldn’t understand why Joseph dabbled in Egyptology. Ironically it was after my faith evaporated That I dug in and read up on everything.

You guys talking about these podcasts might just jar me out of my self induced Mormon podcast ban. :lol:

Are they really worth it?

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:42 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:06 pm
You guys talking about these podcasts might just jar me out of my self induced Mormon podcast ban. :lol:

Yes but listen at like 1.7-2x speed as they are over 7 hours combined so far.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:17 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:06 pm

Yeah, I don't do Mormon Stories 'casts much any more because... They're L___O___N___G___!___!___!

But these Ritner ones, I do think they are worth it. Speed the up like everyone mentions. :arrow:

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:45 am

Just thinking out loud about wanting to hear an RFM podcast featuring Kerry Shirts and Paul Osborne.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:27 am

I finished Part 1 last night.

On one hand you have the typical problem of a Mormon Stories podcast that it is in major need of editing. Trimming about half an hour of "ummms" and pauses out wold help the flow and cut the run time.

On the other hand, like the Micheal Coe podcast, this is absolutely fascinating to have one of the top people in the world on the subject going though the BoA in detail and ripping it to shreds.

In a way, I kinda feel sorry for him. A piece of early 19th century fan fiction is really beneath him on a professional level, but sometime you need to it. It's like me having to explain the engineering behind why 9-11 truthers or moon landing hoaxers are completely wrong. The fact that I have to do is pretty sad, but I will do it anyway and hope that someone learns something.

Part 2 is downloaded and in the que...
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:19 am

moksha wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:45 am
Just thinking out loud about wanting to hear an RFM podcast featuring Kerry Shirts and Paul Osborne.
That would be enormously entertaining!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:30 am

blazerb wrote:
I think they might, but gradually. Since more and more people read scriptures online the church can make small, incremental changes. They will replace the facsimiles with a link to the facsimile. Then they will remove Joseph's comments from the facsimiles. You will read Abraham's comment about how he included an illustration of his sacrifice. If you bother to follow the link you'll say, "yup, there's a picture of it," but you won't know that there was also a bunch of translation that once went along with it. Then they will be relegated to footnotes. The heading descriptions will continue to morph from literal claims to inspired revelation, and they will talk less and less about it. The message that will get out there will be like Holland's dismissal of the horse problem in the BoM. Get over it, it's not a big deal and it was answered long ago. Your concern with it is just a demonstration of your ignorance.

Yobispo

Post by Yobispo » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:37 am

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:30 am
blazerb wrote:
I think they might, but gradually. Since more and more people read scriptures online the church can make small, incremental changes. They will replace the facsimiles with a link to the facsimile. Then they will remove Joseph's comments from the facsimiles. You will read Abraham's comment about how he included an illustration of his sacrifice. If you bother to follow the link you'll say, "yup, there's a picture of it," but you won't know that there was also a bunch of translation that once went along with it. Then they will be relegated to footnotes. The heading descriptions will continue to morph from literal claims to inspired revelation, and they will talk less and less about it. The message that will get out there will be like Holland's dismissal of the horse problem in the BoM. Get over it, it's not a big deal and it was answered long ago. Your concern with it is just a demonstration of your ignorance.
This is exactly what is going to happen, and it already ticks me off.